Help with Modding a Solitaire

zapper

Enlightened
It's talking about when you trim the legs. If you leave the leads too long, the LED will stand up from the little black plastic mount. Trim the legs until the LED bottom sits flat on the black plastic. I did this mod a couple of times when I first started modding. Make sure you have a battery in while doing this so the switch and guts don't fall out.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

I got it working, but I can't get the reflector out of the head of the light. Any tips on how to do that?

VWTim

Enlightened
I've used a dentist's pick and a paperclip before. Just start bending the tabs back a little, and work around the reflector.

zapper

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
Well,

I got it working, but I can't get the reflector out of the head of the light. Any tips on how to do that?

OK, well I went with the brute force method. I used a socket that fit just inside the rim from the front and put it in a vise and squeezed the lens and reflector out the back/bottom. This breaks half of the tabs holding it in but it's quick and still works. Put a piece of papertowel in between the lens and socket so as not to scratch it up. Also have some soft pads on the vise jaws to prevent marring the aluminum.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zapper,

I don't quite know exactly what you did. For some reason I can't picture it.

I am still having trouble with this. I tried a razor blade, and a really small flathead screwdriver. I guess I will buy a dentist pick.

zapper

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
Zapper,

I don't quite know exactly what you did. For some reason I can't picture it.

I am still having trouble with this. I tried a razor blade, and a really small flathead screwdriver. I guess I will buy a dentist pick.

OK. Take just the head with the lens and reflector. Looking at it from the front, get a 1/4 inch drive socket and find a size that will fit just inside the lip like you were going to take a bolt out through the lens. Now put a piece of paper towel between the socket and lens to prevent scratching. Now put the whole setup in a vice with soft jaws (like some cardboard from a cereal box) and start squeezing. You'll hear some cracking and poping so don't chicken out but do proceed with caution. You can also place the setup on a workbench with the socket facing up and with a steady (very steady) hand pop the socket with a hammer. I've used both methods and the vise is the way I prefer. Good luck and as always your outcome may be different than mine depending on your skill, grace and choice of equipment.

:whistle: :thinking:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will this mod still work with the normal AAA or is it required to use that different type to make it compatible with the LED?

zapper

Enlightened
Any old AAA Solitaire will work for the mod and I don't think there is a clicky tailcap for this one. The 2AA mini mag has one but not the AAA versions.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to try a simple small LED mod but ended up gutting my Solitaire and putting in a 10mm LED which sticks out the front. Had to bore a little and I couldn't remove the reflector/lens so I totally destroyed them :(

solitaireLED.jpg

Also lost 2 LEDs because when I screwed on the head over the 10mm LED, it was too tight and when I unscrewed the head again, the LEDs broke off their leads and followed the head out. My third one is also stuck in there now...haha.. but decided not to unscrew the head again.

Are there any Lithium Ion AAAs? Need 3.6v to power this.

Have to make a twistie switch at the rear by 'blocking' some parts of the body inside the tube with some tape or paint. The tailcap has 2 prongs that connect to the body to close the circuit; so if I tape/paint a portion of the insides, I can 'twist' the light off (as in the 2 prongs rest on the taped/painted area and do not close the circuit).

Twisting it "on" would mean setting the 2 prongs back so that they touch the flashlight body.

That's a really lousy explanation I guess :p

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

I finished one tonight and it rules!!! :rock: Output is very impressive for a Solitaire, and blows a stock solitaire out of the water!

I used Zappers (thanks alot!) method for removing the reflector/lens. It works really well, and there was zero damage to any part of the light.
I am wondering if there is another type of battery I could possibly use for this though. I am currently using a MN21/23. Is there any other battery I could use (besides small watch batterys taped together)? This is a gift and I want to make it as easy to use as possible.

I would like to say Thank you to everyone who has helped me with this. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
For an easy-to-maintain gift (for a non-flashaholic), you're pretty much stuck to the 12V batts. Some alternatives:

1/3AAA niMH's
AAA li-ions (10440)
aside from the watch batteries you mention

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
For an easy-to-maintain gift (for a non-flashaholic), you're pretty much stuck to the 12V batts. Some alternatives:

1/3AAA niMH's
AAA li-ions (10440)
aside from the watch batteries you mention

Thanks Greenled.

What is a 1/3AAA NiMH though? I have never heard of them. I have some AAA Nihm batteries.
Does the AAA Lithium Ion work well in this light? I was hoping I could find a battery that would be large enough that I wouldn't have to use the elongated spring in the bottom of the light.