Frosting M*G charger and WA1160 bulbs

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious if you can frost a M*G charger bulb or a WA1160 using glass etching cream. Or will that cause the bulb to build up more heat and explode?

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I did etch the stock MagLite Rechargeable bulb on mine and on a Welch~Allyn U-1111. It did take a while (15~20 or so minutes) to do since the bulbs are made of quartz?

Don't know about your latter question, but I'm assuming that there's some compromise to the bulb itself.

Enjoy!

litho123

Enlightened
Hi James :wave:
The answer is yes, these bulbs can be frosted with glass etching cream. It is very nasty stuff to work with. The phrase "BE VERY CAREFUL" cannot be stressed enough.

Ask NikolaTesla about the process and the precautions he takes when working with this stuff & the acids the cream contains.

I know some folks have frosted bulbs in the past and I have not heard of any adverse effects caused by it.

Luna

Enlightened
Frosting should help dissapate the heat faster due to the greater surface area.

As for precautions, HF is scary but I think the concentrations found in the hobby version is a bit safer. You still should use gloves and eye protection and have a bit of baking soda close just in case.

Tritium

Enlightened
Luna said:
Frosting should help dissapate the heat faster due to the greater surface area.

As for precautions, HF is scary but I think the concentrations found in the hobby version is a bit safer. You still should use gloves and eye protection and have a bit of baking soda close just in case.

No concentration of HF is safe. The lower concentrations just allow more time for the HF damage to go undetected till the tissue damage is deep and severe. I worked with this stuff for 18 years in the Semiconductor industry and have seen several severe accidents involving it.

Thurmond

Luna

Enlightened
Never said it was safe, just safer than the >20% concentrations you can find in industry or real glass etching shops

Armour Etch is 3ppm HF per the MSDS. And since it is really Ammonium bifluoride, it is less of an issue though it creates HF when disolved in water.

Still as with any caustic chemicals or acids, saftey is paramount.

Just for HF reference:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/hydrogenfluoride/recognition.html

PS Ammonium bifluoride is found in many Aluminum Wheel Cleaners...

CLHC

Flashaholic
When you do, you will definitely see a vast improvement to the beam and you'll get that "SureFire" quality hotspotlight that they're famous for. You'll need to experiment first to see which does it for you though.

Warhoggie

Enlightened
No, LOL it will not build up more heat and explode! They sell frosted miniture bulbs 12v and up like these without problems.

If you're really worried, then treat them like guns. Wear eye protection anything you play with 'em.

Also remember, you still have an extra layer of protection, since you'll be using the bulb inside of a flashlight.

I have seen pictures of these so called 'exploded bulbs' but yet to seen real damage to anyone. I would worry more about the acid then the explosion. Not to take this issue lightly, so just wear eye protection baby! :)

Did you read my thread yet? Safety issues included. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99398

Last edited:

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not one of the many Welch Allyn bulbs I frosted have broken or failed yet. I think they possibly would get hotter on the surface because most of the heat is radiated from the bulb in IR light form. The frosting stops the light and reradiates as a greater surface which defocuses the filament image. The chemical does take quite longer than 5 minites because of the glass in high temp bulbs. The fumes are not healthy. An exhaust hood, gloves, goggles, rubber apron are appropriate personal protective gear for chemicals of this type. The cream is not as strong as pure HF but read that MSDS posted above. Nothing to take lightly.
huh.gif

CLHC

Flashaholic
Okay it's been over an hour now since I'm trying to etch—"mist" the Welch~Allyn U-01160 lamp for the Maglite Rechargeable. So far it managed to only look like a "finger smudge." Shows you the "hardness" of the quartz on this mini eh?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Alright, finally got the W~A U-01160 to get that "look" that I wanted. It took 6 hours of etching (30 minute increments) on this particular one. The Welch~Allyn U-01111 was alot easier to do than this. . .

CLHC

Flashaholic
That Amour Etch Glass Etching Cream is locked up with certain paints and "airbrush" equipment. Usually in a glass case. The 12oz. that I bought had no price—so when I went to check out, my jaw dropped when she rang up the price. $25.99! ! ! Oh well. . .Hopefully they have a smaller sized bottle down in your neck of the woods and better price.

Luna

Enlightened
I got some a little over a year ago at Hobby Lobby and it was in the area with stained glass supplies. They also have air/media blast etching kits in the same area. I think there is an 8oz version.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yikes! $26

I gotta get a money order bought and off to FiveMega for a M*gcharger LOP reflector. I tried an 1185 and 9AA-3D in an MC today and the Bat Wings were HORRIBLE!!! The stock bulb could use it even!

And really, since a 1274 in a 2D is nearly up there with an 1185 I don't REALLY need to etch an 1111....

Still, I find it worth experimenting even on stock bulbs!

Luna

Enlightened
I haven't been able to find a beamshot of the FM MC LOP. Any links?

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm using a "misted" Welch~Allyn U-01111 with an aluminum LOP and Borofloat Lens. And YES, experimenting with it until the beam comes out to resemble SureFire's. At least the one I did came out so. It sure took a while.

The stock Maglite Rechargeable came out nice too! And finally the with the W~A U-01160, which I'm now running in the MC, is exactly what I expected!

That Sand Etch looks interesting to, but at $50+ for disposable use! Maybe good for etching a reflector. I don't know, but experimentation is in order for that one.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, you guys are able to etch the WA bulbs with ArmourEtch? A long time ago, I tried it and found that the borosilicate and aluminosilicate glass that these high temperature bulb capsules are composed of is resistant to HF. Well, I never went past 15 minutes at the time, but it didn't work. I ended up using a flexible sanding disk and my Dremel.

As of a year or two ago, the WA01160/1185-type were not made with quartz glass. This is per WA tech service.

Wilkey