Change Lux in Surefire L1?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Surefire L1 flashlight, the latest version with optics, and I'd like to change the Lux that's in it. Has anyone taken one of these heads apart, and what sort of difficulty am I looking at?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nikon, check the "Free services" thread (link in my sigline). Larry posted a how-to for the KL1, maybe that would help you a bit (not the same, I know, but may turn you onto the right direction).

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've done it. The biggest challenge is the initial disassembly due to the sealant SF uses. With a little farting around, a McR20 is a drop-in if you prefer a reflector's beam.

Larry

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, gentlemen! I wasn't sure it could be done without damaging the bezel. Do you know if boiling water will soften up the sealant? Since there are no electronics inside I think I should be able to drop it straight in the water without the baggie. It might get better heat transfer that way. But I think I heard somewhere that the sealant is not affected by heat.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Nicon, maybe. I spinned the sucker slow, and hit it with a propane torch! One of the KL1 heads I opened ended up with melted Sears rubber strap wrench still visable on the head! Once it's apart, normal soldering skills will suffice. (It will also require some Arctic Alumina epoxy.)

Larry