P91 + G2 + 2 Protected R123A's =???

Bryan

Enlightened
Hello all! I've been a lurker of this site for sometime now, but finally decided to register! Learned quite a bit on here, but am a little stumped on something. I searched for hours but could not find a definite answer. I want to run a P91 bulb in my SF G2 (with upgraded lens of course) with 2 protected R123A batteries. I've read that it may work by double tapping the switch, but then others say it won't work at all.

Does anyone know for sure if it will work or not? I want the most I can get with 2 protected R123A's, even if it requires double taps. I do not want to use unprotected cells. Thanks for the help!

Bryan

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry; there's no way protected R123A cells can light up a P91, no matter how many times you tap it. Even if they could, the voltage sag and runtime would be hideous. And you're looking at a 3.5C discharge rate, which is probably dangerous.

The P91 draws so much current (2.6 amps, I think), that it can't light with even the largest of AW's protected cells (18650). Wolf Eyes / Pila 150S cells can light a P91 with a single click, but runtime will be less than 20 minutes. For this lamp, I consider a 150A or 168S/168B cell (1400 to 1500 mAh) the lowest-capacity protected cell practical.

May I suggest the G&P 175-lumen 9V high-pressure xenon lamp from Digilight USA or TradeDigit's eBay store? Compared to the P91, it will delvers about 85 percent of the lumens at 40 to 50 percent of the current. I've now tested it side by side against RICO's "250 lumen" Alpha 9 lamp, and the G&P is whiter, more round, more even, and slightly brighter. It will outthrow a P91, but the P91 trounces the G&P and even the Wolf Eyes / Pila xenon lamps in beam size.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
May I suggest the G&P 175-lumen 9V high-pressure xenon lamp from Digilight USA or TradeDigit's eBay store? Compared to the P91, it will delvers about 85 percent of the lumens at 40 to 50 percent of the current. I've now tested it side by side against RICO's "250 lumen" Alpha 9 lamp, and the G&P is whiter, more round, more even, and slightly brighter. It will outthrow a P91, but the P91 trounces the G&P and even the Wolf Eyes / Pila xenon lamps in beam size.

Thanks Paul. You just saved me some $$$.

I use the high pressure 175 lumen G&P lamp assembly on a pair of rechargeables and was going to try the RICO 250 lumen bulb. Not anymore.

One thing I did notice about the G&P was that the threaded bulb holder needed to be spun into the reflector an additional fifth of a turn for the tightest and brightest hot spot.

Bryan

Enlightened
Exactly what I needed to know! Thank you Paul! I'll look into that bulb for sure. Just to confirm, it can be powered by (2) protected R123A's with no problems?

Bryan

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, darn, I forgot that that's your goal! No, I don't think it can. I got off on a tangent.

The first lithium-ions I tried were R123A cells. Like you, I was gung-ho on using them to power some very bright lamps. I was crushed when I discovered that this simply wasn't possibly with my Wolf Eyes 9V. The other lamps I tried to power were a standard G&P G90 and, I think, a high-pressure G&P G90.
I can't recall whether I succeeded. I think I didn't, for I immediately gave up on using R123A cells for incandescents.

My suggestion is: Buy an AN-19 extender and use Pila 150S or Wolf Eyes 150B cells to power a G&P 9V high-pressure lamp. Your G2's plastic lens can't take the heat from a P91, anyway.

Bryan

Enlightened
Hmm, that's disappointing! I really like the length of the G2 as it sits, and really wanted to use R123A cells with it. I may just get the P90 bulb since I hear that works well. I really wanted a more powerful bulb (at least equivalent to the P61) though.

Thanks for the help anyway though, you saved me some money from trial and error!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your protected cells will run a P90 bulb with it's 1.2 amp draw then you will not have any problem with the G&P 175 lumen high pressure G90. The current draw is similar for both bulbs. It's the higher pressure the xenon gas is under that makes all the difference with the G&P G90.

The P91 bulb draws 2.46 amps so double or triple tapping with protected cells isn't going to bring you any joy.

When ordering the G&P P90, make sure it's the high pressure model.

I got mine from Digilight (with the Digilight label on it instead of the G&P label) but I see here that it's currently on back order.

The stock G2 plastic lens will be OK with the G&P (or Digilight) 175 lumen high pressure bulb.

Bryan

Enlightened
Thanks LumenHound. I honestly do not know if a P90 bulb will work with protected cells (never tried it) but I believe several people said it worked. Can you recommend a good brand of protected cells to use with the G90? I'll probably order the G90 and try it with a pair, and if it doesn't work, I'll use it in something else.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there are many places and people who sell good quality protected cells (and I expect and hope others will chime in here) but what comes to my mind first is AW.

See this CPF thread.

I'm sure a quick 5 minute scan through the Dealer's Corner section will provide you with other alternative sources and I suggest the "CPF specials" webpage/dealers sticky post as a great starting point also.

Bryan

Enlightened
Thanks again. I was looking at the AW or the Pilas, but I'm leaning towards the AW since the charger is so cheap.

Bryan

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
Thanks Paul. You just saved me some $$$.

I use the high pressure 175 lumen G&P lamp assembly on a pair of rechargeables and was going to try the RICO 250 lumen bulb. Not anymore.

Are you using protected cells with this bulb? Also, what flashlight body are you using for this setup? I am pretty excited about the G&P lamp. I am hoping to try it in a G2, Z2, or 6P (and a pair of protected cells). I am going to use the P91 lamp in the 9P with Pila 150S cells. I assume the G&P lamp would work well in the 9P/ Pila 150S combo as well.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not the Paul to whom you directed your question, but I use the G&P 175-lumen every day in a 4x123A body (3x123A plus Surefire A19 extender) with two Wolf Eyes 168B cells.

I have two 2x123A bodies: A Wolf Eyes 6A-II and a G&P G60. I use a Wolf Eyes 3.7V lamp in the Wolf Eyes with a Wolf Eyes 168B cell. I've ordered a 70-lumen G&P 3.7V lamp for the G60, also to use with a 168B. However, I've also ordered Emillion's switchable 3W/1W regulated LED module, and that module will probably end up in one of these lights; the 3.7V xenon lamps draw about 2 amps, resulting in unremarkable runtimes with the 168B (1400 mAh).

I could run the P91 in my 4x123A body, but 98% of the time, this light is shining through an orange traffic wand, and the P91's broad beam spreads out too quickly.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumenHound said:
When ordering the G&P P90, make sure it's the high pressure model. I got mine from Digilight (with the Digilight label on it instead of the G&P label) but I see here that it's currently on back order.
You can buy Digilight products cheaper from their dealer, BlackRifles.com. US shipping is roughly the same (about $8).

Last edited: