Remainder of a 4D tube :)

Photonfanatic's UX1N Bin Luxeon 3 watt Emiiter

Modamag's 4AA-1D Battery holder

Custom O-Sink

Glowinc's Glowpowder

My Custom dual stage switch assembly with 5 ohms resistance

UCL

Stock Cutdown mag Reflector

I could have made the unit 1.5 inches shorter but then I thought it would be too short. The Beam and throw is wonderful. I may run with 10-ohms resistance as the brightness level is not as low as I wanted. This baby draws 1.4 amps hot off the charger or with the 5ohms resistance 300 milliamps. I may need to order some 1 and .5 ohm resistors:)

Happy Holidays!
Mac

IMG_1644-vi.jpg

IMG_1647-vi.jpg

IMG_1651-vi.jpg

IMG_1654-vi.jpg

IMG_1657-vi.jpg

IMG_1660-vi.jpg

IMG_1663-vi.jpg

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Custom Mag "U bin" 2 level brightness :) My First LED Mod

Very nice work.

Curtis

Grubbster

Enlightened
Bravo! I really like the clickie tailcap on this light. I too would love to make one with this switch instead of the mag switch. Nice compact form.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
CromagNet said:
Loox great! Can it tailstand?

Yes but a little wobbly. I could make the tailcap so that it was pretty much recessed if I wanted. But then you would need to stock your finger farther in.

Mac:)

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icarus said:
Very nice mod! :twothumbs Any pics of the guts? :thinking:

I will try to get some pics on my next one WXOT :). Basically I took a standard O-Sink that was for the older D-Slug style comverted it to the newer round LED Base's. Then I drilled a hole through the bottom side of the O-sink and tapped it 6-32 for a ground lug. Since my Body was shortened I had a nice freshly machined top surface which mated to the lip on the O-Sink. I used a little conductive adhesive to hold the 2 surfaces together. For the bottom half of the O-sink I machined a piece of Delrin in the shape of a cup. In the center of the cup I inserted a copper 1/8th pop rivet and soldered the + wire of the led to it then Epoxied it to the bottom of the O-Sink.

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I changed the resistance to 10-ohms and now the light draws 180 milliamps on low. Once the battery's have around 5 minutes runtime the draw settles in at around 1.2amps on high. I'm liking this light. I should have another cool mod coming up soon.....maybe tomorrow night:)

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fluted the head today with my newly aquired tooling. Not sure if I like ir or not.....Hmmmm

Mac

IMG_1704-vi.jpg

wquiles

Flashaholic
I might be on a minority, but I love it!

By the way, nice lathe you have there. Just a "little" bigger than the one I just got, right? ;)

Will

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about 500lbs heavier than yours :) You should have seen us picking it up to put on the bench!

Mac

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it too! :thumbsup: Can you make a close-up photo?
What kind of tool did you use? Maybe a picture of the tool too?
Thanks. :)