Maglite 4D - help make brighter please

ptirmal

Enlightened
I bought my dad a nuwai 5w 4c flashlight for xmas so I'm thinking he'll retire the beat up 4d maglite with depleted batteries...

So I'll have a 4D maglite for a base of modding...

What I want is 1 hour runtime with any battery configuration that'll fit... and as close to surefire m6 performance, if that is even possible... I just want it bright and to have a good throw... I have a few smaller flashlights for longer use with lower output and I just want a "show" light, probably won't use it much...

I was thinking of an aluminum reflector, a new xenon bulb and some sort of D->AA holder or PVC for C battery tube?

I'm trying to keep cost under 100 if possible... I can do most of the cutting and soldering but I'm not sure I can do any circuit regulation or along those lines...

Any help would be great! Links even better!!!

ptirmal

Enlightened
Ok I did a bit more searching and reading and I think I want "roar of the pelican" mod...

What are recommendations for batteries and reflectors?

Do I need to upgrade the switch to handle the current draw? If so what switch

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You could try 5C NimH against a 4 cell M*g Xenon Star... it might flash, but if it doesn't it should focus awful tight and be very white. Of course you must use any means neccesary to center the bulb in the reflector.

I think the recommended battery number for ROP is 6 (though I've read of one guy using 7 succesfully). These are odd numbers for a 4D M*g....

The quick and dirty way is my first suggestion.

wtraymond

Enlightened
Actually, the first ROP mods were 4D Mags powered by 6 sub-C NiMHs. You will need to buy batteries capable of high current draw like those found at www.cheapbatterypacks.com. These should fit if you make a sleeve for them as they are much narrower than D size batts. You may also need to trim the tailcap spring a bit. You'll need a charger for the batteries.

You'll also need and UCL or borofloat lens available from www.flashlightlens.com as the plastic lens will begin to melt in seconds.

Lastly, you'll need a metal reflector available from Modamag or Fivemega here in the 'Group Buy' forum or from www.light-edge.com.

The stock switch will work by you'll see some improvement if you buy some DeoxIT and ProGold available at Radio Shack and treat all the electrical contacts, including the batteries, tailcap, springs, and switch parts.

Andrewwynn has a great thread about reducing the resistance in the stock Maglite switch here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99710

Good luck.

ptirmal

Enlightened
thanks guys! Do I need to run rechargables or could I possibly stick with alkalines? I saw that the official ROP page uses a sub 6c but I dont know much about batteries... if i need rechargables what is a good 6c pack and charger?

I know I need a new lense and reflector, and it seems they are readily available and easy to find, any recommendations? Does modamag only offer one lense or are there multiple?

If I buy a radioshack switch will it be a simple swap? Are they push button switches like the stock one?

Thanks for the help!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might actually get it to light up with alkalines but performance is going to be terrible.

Note that for a 4D you will need SUB-Cs, which are smaller than regular cells. Cheapbatterypacks.com sells them. Note that I've never bought from CBP, I actually got my pack done locally.

I have tried both the Maha C777Plus2 and Hitec CG340 chargers, both work great.

ptirmal

Enlightened
do i need to email them for a quote or something, I cant find the pack on their website... and the charger, where can I find that one? What prices am I lookin at for the battery and charger?

One more thing, the websites im looking at have a LOP reflector and a HOP reflector... I heard about a MOP reflector thats a good mix but I cant find it anywhere... if i cant find it which should I go for, LOP or HOP? I dont think i found runtimes for ROP... what am I looking at with a 6subc pack and HOP or LOP?

Last edited:

Flakey

Enlightened
if you still want good throw on your light i would go with a LOP reflector It will give you a less perfect beam but great throw due to a very bright hotspot and surprisingly usefull sidespill. If however you want more of a flood type light, go with the HOP as it will give you a cleaner beam image and a wider flood. good luck! i hope you get it fired up soon!

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
wtraymond said:
Actually, the first ROP mods were 4D Mags powered by 6 sub-C NiMHs. You will need to buy batteries capable of high current draw like those found at www.cheapbatterypacks.com. These should fit if you make a sleeve for them as they are much narrower than D size batts. You may also need to trim the tailcap spring a bit. You'll need a charger for the batteries.

You'll also need and UCL or borofloat lens available from www.flashlightlens.com as the plastic lens will begin to melt in seconds.

Lastly, you'll need a metal reflector available from Modamag or Fivemega here in the 'Group Buy' forum or from www.light-edge.com.

The stock switch will work by you'll see some improvement if you buy some DeoxIT and ProGold available at Radio Shack and treat all the electrical contacts, including the batteries, tailcap, springs, and switch parts.

Andrewwynn has a great thread about reducing the resistance in the stock Maglite switch here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99710

Good luck.

I'm actually in the middle of putting together sort of a TK kind of thing where everyone can buy things from one location and save on shipping + the convenience from ordering from one place including the charger. When i bought the parts to put together my ROP i spend at least $35+ in shipping charges. That did not even include the m@g host either. However, i plan to change that real soon when i offer all of the parts together in one place to save money on shipping. I estimate savings of at least $15+ and being able to order everything from one place and having everything arrive at one time.

What does everyone here think of this idea? I bet the international folks will love this since they only pay one shipping charge. The exact costs is unknown but will be known shortly. I just have to hear back from a few people.

On another note, the ROP mod is an excellent first time mod for folks as it does not involve and cutting or soldering. It's a simple mod with awesome results. The first time i put my ROP together and lit it up in my kitchen with the lights on i pointed it towards the wall. That was a big mistake since it was white. I saw spots for a couple of minutes after that from the reflection.

You guys may feel free to PM me here with any questions you might have about this. I will do my best to answer all questions.

thanks
Aaron

quokked

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
However, i plan to change that real soon when i offer all of the parts together in one place to save money on shipping. I estimate savings of at least $15+ and being able to order everything from one place and having everything arrive at one time.

What does everyone here think of this idea? I bet the international folks will love this since they only pay one shipping charge. The exact costs is unknown but will be known shortly. I just have to hear back from a few people.

I'm in a simple ROP mod would make sense to me in paw old London here :paypal:

Rommul

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
You could try 5C NimH against a 4 cell M*g Xenon Star... it might flash, but if it doesn't it should focus awful tight and be very white. Of course you must use any means neccesary to center the bulb in the reflector.

I have this very same/similar config (mine has Alkalines).

It didn't flash (prolly because the baterries had a bout a half hour on them driving a 5 cell krypton).

Very bright with a very small hotspot when focused.

I still think and ROP is a better bet though.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You are almost certainly correct Rommul! And I have the required stuff to do a ROP with the exception of bulbs! Just need more $$$ as I am as usual :broke:

But you see I have a few more M*gs beyond my 3D 1185, 2D 1274, 2D 6AA MC bulb. I had another 2D running 6AA and a 1274 but my bi-pin adapter got wasted. Another 3D with 4AA NimH and 3 cell bulb, another 2D with 3C and a 1W drop in from a Sears 3AA light, a 4D etc. I can't afford to outfit 'em all!!!

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Aaron, that sounds simply FANTABOULUS!!!! If you will be able except money orders you will be GOLDEN!!!

What a great idea!!!

THANKS!!!!

I am still deciding on that. I see that you are local money order. So... i think i might accept those as long as it's from a large company such as USPS or something like that. The only down side though is i might have to wait a few days for it to clear if that's ok. I've seen so many fake Money Orders before. Not saying that you are going to try and send me a fake one, but if i'm going to be careful i have to be fair and be careful with everyone.

Rommul

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
You are almost certainly correct Rommul! And I have the required stuff to do a ROP with the exception of bulbs! Just need more $$$ as I am as usual :broke:

But you see I have a few more M*gs beyond my 3D 1185, 2D 1274, 2D 6AA MC bulb. I had another 2D running 6AA and a 1274 but my bi-pin adapter got wasted. Another 3D with 4AA NimH and 3 cell bulb, another 2D with 3C and a 1W drop in from a Sears 3AA light, a 4D etc. I can't afford to outfit 'em all!!!

Those are what I call good problems.

BTW how is the throw an brightness on that 1 w in the 2D?

I plan to build something similar with one of these

http://www.led-replacement.com/ba1-tle5.html

If I don't like it I can always throw it in a minimag and do something else with the 2 D.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That particular 2D has never been as bright with any combination as a different 2D.

That said the 1W is no powerhouse. My Dorcy 3D handily clobbers it. It will reach out about 100' just fine. I can see farther than that but that's the "good" seeing distance.

Since the TLE5 is made for flashlights like this, and most have less resistence, you should be pleased!

Rommul

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
That particular 2D has never been as bright with any combination as a different 2D.

That said the 1W is no powerhouse. My Dorcy 3D handily clobbers it. It will reach out about 100' just fine. I can see farther than that but that's the "good" seeing distance.

Since the TLE5 is made for flashlights like this, and most have less resistence, you should be pleased!

Thanks.