Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite cordless drill?

Default What's your favorite cordless drill?

What is your favorite cordless drill in 14.4 volt?

And, what's your favorite 18 volt drill?
    Orb Raw NS (UWOJ), VB-16 (Fourth Edition SSC), Fenix L1T 2.0 Rebel, MTE C2 70601, Liteflux LF2 (SSC P4), Fenix L0P-SE (SSC mod), Amilite Neo T5, Peak Caribbean (Seoul), Jetbeam CL-E 1.2, Fenix L2P (Nekomane CR2 mod), JIL CR2 1.3 (Up), Sam's Element, Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon AA.

Default Re: What's your favorite cordless drill?

18 volt: Milwaukee (same goes for all my other cordless tools)
    14 volt: N/A as I don't own any

Flashaholic*

Hilti! Once you own a Hilti Cordless drill, you'll never go back.
    Formerly known as curbry.

I have a Makita 14.4 model 6228. It's great for screwdriving or light drilling at a superlite 3.7 pounds. Only 200 lbs. of torque though. So, I just picked up the Makita 6935 impact driver, which is only 3.7 lbs. too, but has a torque rating of 1200!! They say you can use impact drivers as drills, too, but with less precision. I haven't tried it as a drill yet. However, to drive screws, it's stunning and won't twist on you at all.

Also have two Ryobi 18 volt drills, the P200 and new P201 that just came out. They call the new one "torque power" but it has less torque, 330 inch pounds, although a faster drilling speed, 1600 versus 1300 on the old one. The old one had 400 inch pounds of torque but not quite as nice a balance as the new one. One handed chuck is a nice feature on the new one though, as is quick switch from drill to driver mode. These are both 5.3 lbs. with battery.

Like most people, I'm looking for power and speed, but light weight. Among contractors, there seems to be a trend back to 14.4 volt tools, or the 15.6 volt Panasonics, to deal with weight issues. That's what's so incredible about the impact drivers. Light and powerful!!! Anyone using an impact driver for everything??
    Last edited by onthebeam; 12-25-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    Orb Raw NS (UWOJ), VB-16 (Fourth Edition SSC), Fenix L1T 2.0 Rebel, MTE C2 70601, Liteflux LF2 (SSC P4), Fenix L0P-SE (SSC mod), Amilite Neo T5, Peak Caribbean (Seoul), Jetbeam CL-E 1.2, Fenix L2P (Nekomane CR2 mod), JIL CR2 1.3 (Up), Sam's Element, Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon AA.

One other cool thing. Both the Makita and Ryobi impact drivers have built in LED lights that do a good job. The new Makita 3.0 nimh batteries also have an LED light option.

Flashaholic*

RIDGID 18v. Lifetime warranty, even on batteries.

I've got dewalt 12v and 18v and like them both. I was so impressed with the 12v that I then bought the 18v. Don't pay full price for them though - get the over the internet but beware of the mexican imports they are not as good as the UK or German ones
    We call them torches here in England...

Flashaholic*

18V ==? DeWalt hammer drill/driver. A real workhorse, until I got the Panasonic.........

12V ==> Panasonic impact driver. Smaller and lighter than a 14.4 V drill. The Panasonic does almost all of the work now. I grab it whenever I need to drive a screw or drill a hole less than 1/2" in diameter. Even at 12V, it easily drives almost any screw or lag bolt.

There is very little difference between the top-end models of the top manufacturers.
    I bought the Panasonic because it had an LED for illumination and came with an extra battery.

Last edited by NewBie; 12-25-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Milwaukee 28v cordless with LiIon Batts. After you leave everything in the dust and back on the charger you will wonder why you bought anything else.
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

Same with those here that have and saidŚMILWAUKEE! ! !
    LUX'Ottica

*Flashaholic*

I'm a fan of batt power tools. it's hard to beat Dewalt batt powered tools. 12V to 24V depending upon your needs.

I've got a full set of 18v milwaulkee, drill, sawzall, circular, I never use. it's available for sale, in excellent price/condition if anyone is interested.

also got a full set for 18V Dewalt and full set of 24V Dewalt in hammer drill, sawzall, circular saw.

my fav is 18V Dewalt drill for most of my needs.

Flashaholic*

I've been using a Milwalkee 14.4 hammerdrill. 480 lbs of torque (similar to many 18 volters- but lighter).

I'd love to try one of the new ones with the Li-ion cells, but I don't use them enough to justify.
    McCree XR-19C | Ti PD UVIJ | PD-UX1K | 27LT X-Cree Mod | Ti- ExoLion #14 | Aleph 3 WWOT | Milkyspit L1 | TnC: HyperLux V's, KeyLux N-Cell/AAA's | Orb RAW U-bin | Space Needle II Clone's | Surefire: 622, Nice and Green L2 Hotwires: HA-III Mag11 | Cmaccel Finned HA-III ROP 550/1300

Flashaholic*

I have a DeWalt 1/2" 14.4V that I have had very good luck with. It has good battery capacity, it came with 2 batteries, and they recharge quickly. The drill itself seems to have good torque.

I was in a hardware store a few years before, and their cordless drill display had max. torque numbers for each drill. I remembered that the DeWalt was the highest, so I decided that was what I wanted and I put one on my Christmas list a few years later.

Not long ago I watched a contractor building a wood fence and was impressed by how well their 18V DeWalt drove large lag bolts into the wood posts.
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

I picked up a Milwaukee 14.4V 0616-24 "Lok-Tor" a couple years ago to use at work. It's been a nice compromise in weight, runtime and power, and got plenty of use when we had to assemble a metal barn for our camels. When projects come up, it has also been handy to always have it available in my car, instead of constantly trying to track down our department's drill (an 18V DeWalt).

Panasonic 18V. Blows away every other drill I've ever tried. More torque, longer run time, comfortable and easy to use. It was about $200 and it came with a coupon for either an extra batter and charger or an extra "drill body", which is the whole drill without battery. Well, since the original came with two batteries and a charger, I got the extra free drill body, so now I have two completely functional drills!

I like the 12 volt Dewalt 3/8" VSR drill. It is a few years old and has black rubber/plastic padding on the back of its yellow handle. The current 12 volt Dewalts do not have the padding, a feature now found in the higher end models.

This is my second 12 volt Dewalt drill. I had an earler model which I sold when Dewalt introduced a newer model with better balance. My original Dewalt drill had the handle at the very back of the drill, so the drill wanted to tip forward while I held it. The newer and current models have the handle more toward the center for better balance.

Both drills came with 2 batteries, a fast charger, and a steel case, which I prefer over plastic.

I also have a 12 volt Dewalt trim (circular) saw which uses the same batteries. The 12 volts runs the drill for a decent amount of time, but isn't really enough to power the saw in hardwoods except for brief periods.

Most of my corded (i.e., non battery operated) tools are Milwaukee and Porter Cable.

I have a old 12 volt DeWalt as well that my mom bought.

Somewhere in the garage, my dad has an old black and decker that plugs in but it's been lost for a long time. He now grabs DeWalt whenever he needs to mount something.
    Last edited by yuandrew; 12-25-2005 at 11:49 PM.

Flashaholic*

My favorite for metal work is a Metabo BST Plus. It has a nice "pulse" feature for starting holes in metal without the need for a centerpunch.

The 18 volt Dewalt hammer drill gets the nod for everything else. Good combination of torque,run-time and durability. I can't count the number of times it's been rained on.

Flashaholic

I have owned a Makita 6233 DWAE 14.4 volt 3/8 cordless for a number of years and would certainly buy a current version of this model if I had to replace mine. Tons of torque and great ergonomics - comfortable to hold and use and well balanced. If you are not careful with this thing it will snap off large diameter drywall screws without much trouble!

Cheers,
    Tim
    Surefire U2, M4, and 9P; LionHeart - Black (X3); Maglite 6D, 6C, 4D, 3D, 2AA (X4), 2AAA; AIT Nightstar; RaidFire Spear; Dereelight DBS V2 DI WH/R2; JETBeam II IBS; Tiablo A10 R2; Novatac 120E(P) & 120T(P); NiteCore EX10; LiteFlux LF3XT

Flashaholic

I have the 18v Ryobi drill and it has served well for several years. I like it as I have the Ryobi 18v circular saw and the Homelite 18v string trimmer and hedge trimmer that all use the same battery.

In 14.4 , Millwaukee , tuff , easy acess to parts abd spare batts . The pistol grip config is better for drilling , the T handle is a better driver . De Walts blow , one of the highest rates of return in the industry , spares are problematical . Hitachi and Panasonic are also good tools . Panasonic has about the highest battery quality in the industry . In 18's I like Hilti. The new Milwaukee 28 V-Li is pretty wild . I'll hold off for a year to see how they pan out in the field .

Chris

Flashaholic*

Dewalt, me too, I have a DC988KA hammer drill and love it too. I really like the chuck it has.

However I do have my eyes on the latest Makita 18v hammer dill!
    560 in/lbs (Dewalt is 500 in/lbs), Li-Ion batteries, LED lighting, same type of Jacobs chuck as the Dewalt, etc.
    Played with one at Home Depot the other day, very very nice!

The whole LXT line is nice!
    -Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

I got a Dewalt 18V kit for my 30th birthday last year, and I love it.
    The hammer drill is a bit heavy though, so I've been thinking about getting a smaller (14.4V) for general usage. Right now I use an old 12V B&D.

A couple a years ago I got to try a Panasonic, after seeing a guy at my gunclub screw together two large 12X3" beams with this dinky little drill, and I was really impressed with the torque. It's on my wishlist
    Thomas

der skal Kugle til en Thr°nder

Flashaholic*

Milwaukee V28 Lithium-Ion hammer drill,
    Been using it for a few weeks and that 28V 3.0Ah lithium-ion pack makes for a relatively light drill (about the same as Dewalt 18V NiCad) it has 4 LEDs to let you know the charge level of the battery pack and recharges in well under an hour.
    These batteries must be very special as they pound out the amps and just keep pushing. Heck, they should though... $129 per battery so it will be painful when I need to replace the two that came with it! Love the monster, it has amazing power and is easy to handle.
    Dewalt is supposed to come out with a 36V 2.0AH A123 systems lithium-Ion drill in 2006. Considering the Milwaukee has more watt-hours to it's battery than the Dewalt... I'll stick with the V28.
    Milwaukee also has a battery operated lug nut power drill (no kidding) it takes two of the V28 battery packs and can pull the lug nuts off a tractor trailer rig. Think of the stuff I can destroy with that puppy!
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Panasonic, Hilti, and Metabo are the best of the best, but they're not too common and they're a little expensive. After that, there are a lot of good companies. I might put Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Makita, and DeWalt all on the next level. I've heard Hitachi is going downhill, and I'm not sold on Ridgid stuff yet. After that come the junk brands like B&D, Ryobi, Skil, etc.

I'm a little worried about Milwaukee and Porter-Cable these days. Milwaukee was bought by Ryobi's Taiwanese parent (who also makes Ridgid) and Porter-Cable/Delta was bought by B&D (who also owns DeWalt). I'm hoping the quality keeps up. Especially Milwaukee.

One thing to consider about cordless drills is how useful one is, not just how powerful. Pick up a 24V+ drill and you'll know what I mean. For me, at least, 18V is the max I want to carry around. I'd only get heavier one if you needed it for a special application.

My personal preference is 18V DeWalt, mainly because parts and accessories are everywhere and cheap. The power is more than enough for most tasks, and when it isn't out comes the corded drill:

(The DeWalt in the photo is the largest 18V hammer-drill they make. The other one really is that huge--12amp, 3/4" chuck)
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

Interesting that no one mentioned Bosch Power Tools especially the new BlueCore Battery Operated ones that charges in 30 minutes.

What sold me on the Bosch and Milwaukee was when I saw them being dropped from off of first floor building (the roof and lanai) and 3rd tier scaffolds, not intentionally though, and after being retrieved with irritation on the part of the user, it's still running!
    LUX'Ottica

PORTERCABLE 19.2volt.

Best drill I've ever used, 2.4AH packs.

There probably are better, but I doubt I'll ever use this one up!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic

I was looking hard at the Milwaukee V28 Li-Ion until Consumer Reports had the following to say (12/05):
    The $400 V28 0724-24 hammer drill we tested (right) has a lithium-ion battery that weighs no more than most 18-volt nicads and belts out more power--so much, in fact, that several minutes turning 3 1/2-inch heavy lag screws melted the solder inside two test samples and led to motor failure on a third sample.

Sounds like they might not have the bugs worked out yet...

Quote Originally Posted by BentHeadTX
    Milwaukee V28 Lithium-Ion hammer drill,
    Been using it for a few weeks and that 28V 3.0Ah lithium-ion pack makes for a relatively light drill (about the same as Dewalt 18V NiCad) it has 4 LEDs to let you know the charge level of the battery pack and recharges in well under an hour.
    These batteries must be very special as they pound out the amps and just keep pushing. Heck, they should though... $129 per battery so it will be painful when I need to replace the two that came with it! Love the monster, it has amazing power and is easy to handle.
    Runtime be damned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast