After Christmas sales on lights?

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
I was out at Target today checking out their deals and picked up some LED lights on closeout. These are the giftbox lights you always see around Christmas time. Here's what I picked up.

(1) box of Philips multi-color LED Christmas lights for $6. Out of while :(

(1) four piece LED flashlight set.for $10. It comes with a 2C 6 LED light, 2AA 3 LED light, 1AA 2LED light and 1 AAA 1 LED light. They are very cheap and not that bright but the housings could be used for other projects.

(1) 2 piece light-up coasters for $4 They llight up your drink with red, green, blue LED's that cycle in patterns. They turn on when you set your drink on them and turn off when you remove your drink.

(3) 3 LED headlight for $2.50. Runs off 3 AAA and is brigher then the dim mode on the RR headlight. Also the light will slide off the headband and has a magnet on it so you can mount it on your car hood or other metal surface. Build quality is cheap but for $2.50 they are great for the kids.

They also had some LED keychains lights half price and also had a 8 LED mult-color hand light with a magnet on the back to mount on your color for emergencies. Its cost $6

Also not a LED but they had a 1 million candlewatt halogen spotlight with rechargeable battery. It comes with a carrying case and a 3-1 emergency type light. It was $5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yooper

Enlightened
Re: Target Closeout on LED lights

Do you have a pic of the set? I saw a "6 piece" set at Target, marked $10, but also 50% off, so it will be $5, but all but one of the flashlights looked like incandescents. I didn't have my camera or I would have taken a pic. Are you sure yours are all LED's?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got back from Target. I think the 6 piece set was black in color and incan. by design. The 4 pack was silver color with a red "swiss cross" type emblem on them. I WAS tempted - but did not purchase.

They FINALLY had an Inova 2C light in stock! It looked interesting, but it did not look like a thirty dollar value - as I could not find the magic word (luxeon) anywhere on the package.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened

Yooper said:
Do you have a pic of the set? I saw a "6 piece" set at Target, marked $10, but also 50% off, so it will be $5, but all but one of the flashlights looked like incandescents. I didn't have my camera or I would have taken a pic. Are you sure yours are all LED's?

Yes they all are LED's. I saw the 6 piece set for $5 but they were incandescents so I passed.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened

Off all the bargin lights I picked up from Target today I like the $2.50 headband light the best because of the magnet feature. I removed one from the headband and stuck it on the refrigerator. Its not real bright but enough to see what I'm doing in the kitchen in the middle of the night. Can't compain for $2.50 which includes batteries.

Here is a couple pictures of it. The first is mounted on the headband and the second is the light removed from the band showing the magent on the back.

target3.jpg

target4.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

The 4 piece LED set sounds interesting as the single AAA and 2-AAA lights would have to have some type of step up circuit in them. That is a good deal simply for that reason. The modder in me would like to have this for tinkering....Are you sure the smaller ones were not button cell lights?...I may have to make a trip to Target myself. What section of the store were these located? Were they in a clearance area or with the other lights?

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened

Robocop said:
The 4 piece LED set sounds interesting as the single AAA and 2-AAA lights would have to have some type of step up circuit in them. That is a good deal simply for that reason. The modder in me would like to have this for tinkering....Are you sure the smaller ones were not button cell lights?...I may have to make a trip to Target myself. What section of the store were these located? Were they in a clearance area or with the other lights?

They were in two sections. Near the Christmas lights and trees on a end cap and also near the auto and flashlight section. They are in a red box and have a clearance sign on them 50 percent off. The smaller ones use AA and AAA batteries. No button cells.

All four lights use a clickie on the end of the flashlight to turn it on and off.

Here are some pictures of the 4 piece LED lights.

target1.jpg

target2.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

Now that is a pretty good deal if nothing less than for the circuits or the bodies as a host. Can you tell how the circuit is attatched on the AAA and AA models?....Looks like I am making a trip to Target.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened

Robocop said:
Now that is a pretty good deal if nothing less than for the circuits or the bodies as a host. Can you tell how the circuit is attatched on the AAA and AA models?....Looks like I am making a trip to Target.

The AA module is on the left. The open AAA module is on the right. The AA module is probably has a similar circuit.

target5.jpg

Steve

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I picked up one of these sets two weeks ago for the full $20 :ohgeez: Once I fixed the intermittent grounds and replaced the LED's the output was decent enough. The 2C was bright enough that I didn't bother tampering with it yet.

My Target is out of them now however.

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened

I went to Target after reading your post, and snagged a string of the lights for $6, I might go back and get a few more.
They look better than I expected.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

My wife got me that 4 flashlight set for Christmas. She said the same this... something like, I know you are just going to rip them apart to make them 'better'..... she was right. The 2C is already getting an optical overhaul. The construction is on the med/low end, and they make an awfull squeaking noise sometimes when unscrewing the parts. But for 10.00, a great deal!!! 2.50 a light, 4 boosters, several (cheap) white LEDS, and tail clickys too, not too bad.

Jeff

garageguy

Newly Enlightened

I picked up the 4 pack of LED lights at Target last night. Not too bad for $10.
The 1AA and 1AAA are pretty weak. I had a blue LED laying around so I put it in the 1AAA, pretty cool light now. The 1AA now has two red LEDs in it, for stealth navigation. So far I will leave the 2AA and the 2C stock, maybe put some Nichia CS LEDs in them down the road.

EricB

Enlightened

I didn't get a penny for Christmas for some reason, and am thus still broke (hoping it might all be saved for my 40th in a couple of weeks); else I would go grab some of that stuff.
I particularly wanted the C9 sized LED clear bulbs with the little fiber optics in them. That looks like a novelty that might not come back in following years. I also wanted to get a bunch of different strings to replace the incandescents on my mother's tree, and perhaps put the icicles in her window. (I would only see them when I visit here for Christmas, but it would be nice to see them somewhere I go.)
I was also interested in the battery operated multicoloreds people mentioned, but I could not find them in the Targets around here.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Eric, I saw those C9 fiber-optic lights operating in the store. They weren't terribly bright. There isn't a great deal of launch power in the LEDs to start with, and there's some loss in the fiber strands, then more loss in the C9 plastic envelope. Nice idea, poor execution. Now if those were Luxeons or at least Cree X-Lamps...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Just picked up the 2C 3 LED with side clickie plus aluminum water bottle gift pack for $5 at the Target. Got the last one in silver color, but they've still got about three more in red. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. I do remember reading that the light was pretty dim, and the bottle okay. I can agree about the bottle. I figured if nothing else the light would have a very long runtime. Besides, everyone should have at least one 2C LED. Right? :shakehead

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Well, I've checked out the 2C 3 LED, and I can say it's not totally junk. It does, in fact, have a few good points. The beam tint is quite white. It's not a reverse clickie. It will tailstand nicely. Has o-rings at head and tail. And, in an pinch, it's long enough and heavy enough to be a club. But, it is pretty weak, and the beam is a bit strange because of the separation of the LEDs and the use of a reflector. Still, for the price, it ain't horrible. I might even use the aluminum bottle, too.

Geoff

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened

I picked up a set of the 4 led lights. They're not the most fabulous lights in the world, but they are definitely a good price for the set of decent low end lights. I actually like the fact that the 1AAA and 1AA lights are kind of dim. They are perfect for navigating the house at night when I need to make nature calls. I might just sell the 2C and 2AA lights since I don't exactly have a lot of free time to upgrade the leds and I'm sure someone else can enjoy modding them.

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened

I got some LED color changing Duckies. I've only seen them at one Bay Area Target where I purchased them. They were finally half off of the regular $8. So I only paid $4 for a pair of Ducks. (2 per container) They are waterproof and a nice bonus is you can change the batteries. (Two 2032 button cells per Duck with the LED-battery unit stuck into the bottom of each duck) They look pretty cool as they change from Red, Green, and Blue.

white8bb.jpg
ducks7dz.jpg
green5dx.jpg