has anyone tried Sbin vf 5watt with wiz2?

cy

Flashaholic
has anyone tried Sbin vf 5watt with wiz2?

thanks,

--------------
Wizard2:

A full buck/boost converter. This converter will step up or step down. Ideal candidate for rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries (4.2V) and driving a Luxeon 1W or Luxeon 3W.

* Maximum Vin: 6V
* Maximum Vout: 6V

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Cy - if it really has a max V out of 6 volts, then I think it would be quite on the edge. It might work if you slightly underdrive it, and pre-burn it in before use. I had a WXIS from Photon Fanatic and it dropped at least .3 V in 24 hrs.

cy

Flashaholic
Sbin goes down to 5.91V. so if one searches for a 5watt on the low range, then wait for vf to drop

according to spec's it should work? trying to find out if anyone has tried it yet?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey cy, you could be a pioneer and give it a try ... :D ... but my guts tell me that even if it looks like it will work I would not trust this set-up any more than I trust my self-control in fron of a box with fresh Mrs. Field Cookies ... :D
bernie

wquiles

Flashaholic
cy said:
Sbin goes down to 5.91V. so if one searches for a 5watt on the low range, then wait for vf to drop

according to spec's it should work? trying to find out if anyone has tried it yet?
I am with HarryN on this one. I would just try it, but I would also keep it to something in the 500mA range. I would also burn it first for at least 24HR. Please let us know how it works. Sounds like a very neat experiment ;)

Will

cy

Flashaholic
of course I'm going to try it :D

but just wanted to see if anyone else had this same idea??

this is difinately one of those according to spec's it will work, but real life could be different :green:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though the S-bin goes down to 5.91 volts, I think the chance of finding one that low might be very small. I'll bet almost all S bins are at the upper end of the the bin's voltage range.

Now, you might get the Wiz2 to run a bit beyond it's spec and see the whole thing work. I'll bet Wayne has it speced somewhat conservatively.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
an even 6 volts makes a good bit of light from my wwos. I think I sold the last wiz2 I had:awman: time to re order

cy

Flashaholic
just got in a new WXOS, measured vf at 5.99V

got spots in my eyes as I'm typing :D

cy

Flashaholic
does anyone know spec's difference between wizard 2 and wizard 2x2?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try asking Wayne about this. IIRC, he tried this a number of times. Although it worked, in some instances, it didn't take long to smoke the setup.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are asking at what current the Vf binning is done, I believe it is done with the Lux running at spec, which is 700mA.

I just ran out and put a junk VYOT Lux V on the bench power supply. I don't know if you can extrapolate anything from this, but when I set the power supply for constant voltage, I could only get to 250mA before I reached 6v. This particular Lux V needed 6.7v to run at 700mA.

I'm sorry, but I don't have an S Vf Lux V to put on the power supply and see what happens. In any case, I don't think (although I could be wrong) that you would be able to get anything more than 350mA or so to your S Vf Lux V before you exeeded the 6V limit of the Wiz2.

If that is the case, and you are just looking for a flood light, you might be better off building a Wiz2/Lux III setup and treating the reflector to give more of a flood beam.

cy

Flashaholic
trying to determine if Sbin 5watt will work with wizard 2x2

will be driven at aprox. 500 milliamps. measured at 5.98V without factoring aprox. .5V vf drop. should end up at aprox. 5.94V or barely within spec's

testing with HP regulated power suppy with fluke 87 tracking. delivering 505milliamp @ 6.45V to WXOS star.

shortage of wiz 2x2 boards, don't want to risk killing my board if I cannot get a replacement easily.

man that is one bright light at 500 milliamps!

wxos.JPG

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy - run it on your power supply for 24 - 30 hours @ 700 - 1000ma - well heat sinked. You should be able to drop the VF at least 0.3 V, maybe more.

Gadget Lover burned one in for me, and I was able to drive it with 2 x CR 123s (primary) around 250ma direct drive.

The garage will be real bright for a day or two during the test. Those things are really bright, aren't they.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the 700 mA Vf of that LuxV is 5.99 volts, I doubt it will drop much further on burn-in - certainly not another .3 volts. If it does, you have one very special LuxV!

cy

Flashaholic
as posted several times, 5.99v vf was achieved by delivering 505 milliamp @ 6.45V

500 milliamps is target current. don't want to push ti host's already poor heat conductivity. vf should drop aprox. .5v with use

Wayne informs me that IC is rated for 6V. that's 6V on input or output. switching transients are ~2V over steady state. transients will kill IC, very hard to reduce transient overshoot.

I've been bining my modest stash of Sbin 5watts. they range from 5.96v to 6.31v with one minute of burnin.

wxos 2.JPG