Brightest 4 cell PR bulb?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a flashlight which normally runs on 4 NiMh AAs. I was using a 3 cell stock mag bulb in it, but it finally burned out. What is the brightest 4.8v or less PR bulb I can use, and where do I buy it?

Yooper

Enlightened
Don't know if it's the brightest, but I like the Radio Shack XPR103, rated at 3.6V but overdrives well. I'm using it with 6V lantern batteries and in my 4D unmodified MagLite.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Yooper on this.
I use the same xenon bulb with a 6 volt lantern battery. It should work well with your 4 NiMH AA's. The low internal resistance of your batteries will allow those rechargeables to really deliver some current to this particular bulb.
I'd call ahead just to make sure it's in stock at your local store.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
BatteryCharger said:
I have a flashlight which normally runs on 4 NiMh AAs. I was using a 3 cell stock mag bulb in it, but it finally burned out. What is the brightest 4.8v or less PR bulb I can use, and where do I buy it?
I have some 4 volt, 0.9A PR bulbs.
PM me your address and I will send you some.
I also have some bi-pin 4 volt, 3.5A halogen.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the XPR 103 at the "shack" because one of my mag 3D's has one of these, running 4 Nimh 1.2v C cells inside a sleeve of 1" I.D.- PVC pipe. It's bright and slightly overdriven, but robust and it lasts. I learned about it here on the forums....'twas my first M@g mod and it's what got me started. Now I'm trying to hang onto my wallet best that I can :broke:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
FiveMega, how many bulb-lumens would that 4 volt 3.5 amp halogen bi-pin produce being driven by a 2 cell X 2 parallel CR123A primary cell set-up?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightest is the 1183 Welch Allyn, but FiveMega has an axial lamp (I think!) that compares. About 300 lumens if I remember right.

Bill

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
Because its not REALLY a HOTWIRE unless its overdriven!!

Bill
Bill, you are right. Brightest 4 cell bulb is WA1183 but when it powered by 4AAs with battery holder, then resistance of battery holder is an issue.
I have used 1183 with 4xNiMH "C" and it's awesome.