A Battery is A Battery is A Battery...........

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at Silverfox's charts for batteries I was curious about what different brands of batteries did in certain lights. Being on Vacation and more or less bored I set up the followiing test. I decided to post it now as one of my test units died :scowl: so I won't test with a replacement unless I start over.

Light one is a Fenix L1P Now dead like a goldfish :toilet:
Light two is a Led Lenser David 19 aka Coast Digi-Tac II

Both are (were) luxeon lights with converters. The Fenix was the high output test sample where the David was the relatively low power longer runtime unit. The test was partially to see what initial differences the batteries had on each light.

Light meter readings made on a Meterman 631 at one foot. DMM was a Harbor Freight upper end model.

Battery voltages are not made on a battery tester, just a volt meter to show free cell voltages.

batterycomparision.jpg

This is not intended to be an optic vs reflector test. It is a demonstration of how the cells behave in certain units. Once the Fenix gets better I might try it again and run the cells to exhaustion.

More comments to follow.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might point out that my suspicions held before the test bore out. The Heavy Duty batteries fared about as poorly as I expected. I was suprised that the Lithium and Oxyride batteries had so much current draw. I assumed they would not pour out the juice as much since they did not have to ramp the voltage up as much. But then I figured that the inefficiences of the circuits caused the increased voltage to draw more juice in the working bits of the circuit.

I was suprised the Fuji Novel (Big Lots) had so much current draw on the David.

I could tell the differences between the Heavy Duty batteries and the Oxyride on the Fenix. Maybe a little on the David in the visual output preception. The alkaline cells for the most part all looked similar to my eyes. When the Footcandle readings got down around 250 on the David I could preceive a smaller hotspot than at the higher levels.

I did measure the whole thing twice to eliminate any measurement errors. The current plot for the Daivd shows more variation than I would have expected.

:popcorn:

Mike abcd

Enlightened
Thanks for the data. It's interesting. It probably would change dramatically though after 15-30 minutes of run time on the Alkalines vs the NiMH and Lithium.

I haven;t seen many reports of Fenix L1(P) failures. Any idea what happened to it.

Mike