Klarus        
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Maha MH C808M Charger

Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyGizmos

When I insert the first AA battery in the far left slot - and within 2 to 8 seconds press the soft charge button - it won't go into soft charge mode . The word softcharge won't appear on the display . I am pressing and holding the button for 5 seconds - but still nothing .

TooManyGizmos,

During power-up, the "CONDITION" and "SOFT CHARGING" icons should remain on while the batteries symbols are cycled from right to left.

Do you see SOFT CHARGING icon displayed during power up?

William

Quote Originally Posted by willchueh
    TooManyGizmos,

During power-up, the "CONDITION" and "SOFT CHARGING" icons should remain on while the batteries symbols are cycled from right to left.

Do you see SOFT CHARGING icon displayed during power up?

William

YES ........ william ..... Softcharge icon does show during power-up -goes away at end of self-test.

But the words chrge complete over the 3rd and 4th batt icon don't show on power-up - all others do. the display dont light up on power up so its hard to read- but thats what it says. What does this indicate ?

The lettering on this display is too tiny to read - especially when it's not lit up during power-up.

Last edited by TooManyGizmos; 02-15-2006 at 01:39 PM.
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

Flashaholic

I just checked mine and the words "charge" and "done" do appear over every slot during the self test. Sounds like you have something wrong with yours, maybe the "soft charge" button is broken.

Flashaholic

TooManyGizmos,

Have you found out what the problem with your charger is yet?

Arrow Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

It's broke .

willchueh , in a PM , suggested I return it to MAHA for a replacement which is what I'm doing. Soft charge just stopped working after 3 weeks

Flashaholic

I found a review of the 801D which is pretty much the same as the 808M except it can only take AA/AAA cells. It confirmed the same thing I found, the completeness of charge is not as good as the C204W. Here's the link for anyone interested in reading it. http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/C801D/C801DA.HTM

If Tom is getting such good completeness of charge results (comparitively speaking) with the 808M, I wonder if the C204W would top the charts.

Popcorn Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyGizmos
    It's broke .

willchueh , in a PM , suggested I return it to MAHA for a replacement which is what I'm doing. Soft charge just stopped working after 3 weeks

I contacted MAHA by phone.

They promptly sent me a new charger with paid postage sticker to return broke one.

So far - so good - on new one . Time will tell . If anyting further develops - I'll post .

cool charger. I will order it. I hope it will do the job. What kind of NIMH batteries can it handle? can it charge all types of niMH batteries??
    Admiral of Starfleet Special Operation Forces. We are the vanguard of the Federation against hostile forces.

Arrow Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

picard :

Yes....that's my understanding ......Type : AA,AAA,C,D-NiMh -even the new Eneloop's .

by the way , picard...........what planet are you visiting right now - how's the weather ?

Got enough gas to get home ?...............got milk ?

Last edited by TooManyGizmos; 03-10-2006 at 12:40 AM.

Unenlightened

Hello

I can understand that William is not able to discuss their proprietary technology. But at least, I want to know whether there is any maximum battery capacity limit for safe charging using this charger.

For instance, If you use Negative Delta V cufoff technology to finish charging of NiMH cell, at least you need to have 0.33C charging current (for instance 3.3Ah for 10,000mah D cell battery) , but this charger has just only 2Ah .(of course he has already mentioned that this charger has a lot more complicated algorithm than Negative Delta V.)
    If the charging current is too low compared to battery capacity (like charging 15,000mAh D cell with 2Ah charging current), I guess almost impossible to detect cutoff point without using a timer cutoff. (From my understanding, the impossibility is not matter of charger resolution, just matter of battery behavior with such low charging current(2Ah) itself. OR if there is other way to detect cutoff point, please let me know.)

So, what do you think that charging large capacity D cell such as 12,000mah or much larger capacity NiMH cell without having timer cutoff ?
    Is it really safe? (With bad luck, endless charging?)

Anyone, please answer my question.

Thanks.

If I have a lot of mistake in grammar, I apologize your inconvenience.
    Last edited by Tako; 03-12-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweek
    Sounds like I might need another charger...

Did a quick search and it can be purchased from several places:

Thomas Distributing for $99.97 (I like these guys, been buying stuff from them for years)

Eastgear $96.36 (Never heard of them before, found with Google)

Direct from Maha $109.95 (Do you really want to pay full MSRP? )

Chris

EDIT: Fixed my spelling!
    Just wanted to mention that Eastgear is based in Singapore, they have a brick & mortar store as well as an online webstore. They are reputable, have good service, a wide range of products like Sanyo batteries at reasonable prices & they sihp internationally. I don't have any business interest with them but am a satisfied repeat customer that's all. Now I'm seriously considering to get the Maha 801D too as I use mostly AAs & AAAs! (already have the 401S & MHC777PLUSII, unfortunately they don't have the 204W)
    Last edited by flashlight; 03-12-2006 at 10:12 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    Update:

William of MahaEnergy told me that the flashing Done that I am seeing at the end of the charge while charging NiCd cells is not an error message. It simply means that the charge was terminated on high voltage, rather than on delta voltage.

I also added some information about the lack of an on/off switch in the first post.

Tom
    This is odd. I just charged 4 Sanyo NiCd cells yesterday and they completed with a regular Done, not flashing. Maybe some formulations of NiCd cells complete charging at a lower voltage than others.

Flashaholic

Does anyone know what the cutoff voltage is for the conditioning feature of this charger? No one has mentioned it and I wonder if anyone has measured it.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bcwang
    Does anyone know what the cutoff voltage is for the conditioning feature of this charger? No one has mentioned it and I wonder if anyone has measured it.
    Ok, wptski tested it for me and it cut-off discharging at 1.06v. That's not too low of a value. It's also quite a strange number to choose. I wonder how Maha came up with this value.

I bought my 808 from East Gear. Went straight to the shop. Good service!

Since this seems to be the most comprehensive thread about the C808M, I'd better post some of my findings here to centralize all the information gathered on this charger. So far, the charger has been quite impressive until these two (possibly related) problems appeared:

Observation 1:
    During conditioning with slow charging rate, the charger's LCD display has a tendency to freeze at the end of the discharge cycle. This has happened two times out of three so far in the following example:

Currently, I have been slow conditioning 4 old NiCd "C" size batteries (1600 mAh each) in the first 4 slots and two Sanyo "AA" 2500 NiMH cells in slots 5 and 6.

The routine start-up sequence takes place and then I activate the "Soft Charge" feature and immediately the "Conditioning" feature to start slow conditioning the batteries. The charger starts by charging the cells and then a while later, it starts discharging them. So far, so good.

However, when the charger reaches the end of the discharge cycle many hours later, the display becomes stuck and all the blinking icons stop. The display is left blank with only the "Condition" and "Soft Charging" icons showing.

I thought the charger would eventually snap out of this frozen display mode so I left the charger alone and didn't press any buttons. Two hours later, the display was still frozen!

Pressing any of the buttons won't get the charger to wake-up and neither will inserting or removing batteries from the slots. The only other option is to switch off the mains power and switch it back on.

After this, the charger will behave like usual again; running the standard power-on sequence. Then it will proceed to charge the same batteries in the charger. Unusualy, the batteries are shown to have at least a half to full charge.

So this either means that:

a: The frozen display did not have an impact on the charge-discharge-recharge cycle.

or

b: The charger did not properly drain the batteries in the first place.

Observation 2:
    During power-up (without batteries in the charger), the charger performs as described. The LCD display has "Condition" & "Soft Charging" showing while the battery icons and the words "Done" and "Charge" are flashed one by one from the right of the LCD screen to the left. Then the display shuts off completely.

However, when a battery is inserted into slot 1 (left most slot), everything proceeds as usual until the charging sequence begins. From here on, the "condition" word doesn't seem to disappear completely. The word appears to be half-activated. It's not as dark and bold as during the start-up sequence but it's not completely deactivated either.

It's quite easy to spot this half-activated word. After about 5 seconds, the "condition" word finally disappears completely. As long as there is a battery in the first slot, this half-activated "condition" word will appear and then disappear a short while later.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think it's related to the conditioning cycle's frozen display?

Silver Moderator

Hello Flea Bag,

This post should answer your questions about the discharging cycle.

The Condition icon does not show up on my unit unless I view from an extreme angle. It does show for a few seconds when the battery is first placed in, but then it just fades out.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Flashaholic

I've had my 808M lockup on me twice I think. Both times were while conditioning. One was inserting new batteries in while a few had been conditioning for a few hours. Pretty much seconds after that the display had frozen. The second time was just sometime in the middle of conditioning everything froze. I'm not perfectly sure of what other circumstances in this case were, but I'll try to pay more attention if it happens again.

I've never seen the condition light up half way. I do see it at extreme angles like Tom, but at normal angles I don't remember seeing it light up unless I push the button. I'll try to pay close attention to it tonight.

Update:
    Well, just got home and tried it and I see what you mean. I guess it's so light I just never noticed it. But I doubt that means anything is wrong with the charger, it's probably just some slight programming bug that has a bit of voltage going to that LCD segment until the charging starts up. If ours both do it they probably all do it.
    Last edited by bcwang; 05-03-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Hello Flea Bug,

Thanks for the purchase. To make the long answer short, both of your observations are normal. Let me explain:

1) When the first battery is inserted, the CONDITION will be "half-lit" for about 10 seconds. After that, it goes away. However, in that period of time, it will become "fully lit" if the conditioning mode is activated.

There's no particular reason for this behavior, but all units exhibit it.

2) During discharge, it is possible for all the battery icons to disappear. In other words, "no battery symobls" actually indicates a particular battery state. Toward the end of the discharge, it is possible for all symbols to disappear while only CONDITION remain on. This is particuarly likely when you do SOFT CHARGING plus CONDITION since the discharge rate is cut in half (~150mA) and the screen may remain in this state for a while.

Inserting and removing batteries would not cause the display to change since the charger is still in discharge mode. The only way to get out of this mode (without resetting power) is to remove ALL the batteries thereby quiting the discharge mode. If you are successful, the CONDITION symobl would disappear. Then you can reinsert batteries and they would go straight to charge and the battery outline icons can be observed.

Hope this answers your questions.

cheers,

William

Flashaholic

Hi William,

In my case I know the charger was locked up because the icons just stopped flashing. Even after removing the batteries the icons still remained in the same position. Nothing did anything until I unplugged and replugged the power cord.

Thanks a lot you guys! I must adimit I did not expect your responses so quickly given the thread was untouched for over a week.

William, thanks for the clarification. Glad to find that my charger is normal as far as the half-actiavted "condition" word is activated.

However, as for the frozen display during the discharge cycle, there is still the same problem. Like what bcwang said; when the display is frozen, even when I pull out all the batteries in the charger, the display still remains frozen showing only the "Condition" and "Slow Charge" icons. Additionally, the LED backlight is still lit although there are no longer any batteries in the charger.

The only way to get the charger out of this freeze is to switch it off completely. It's still just a minor issue I guess, but it could be a time-consuming problem when the display goes frozen again and I have start the conditioning process all over again and wait another day to finish conditioning my batteries.

I wonder if it's the heat of the Singapore air that makes the charger want to 'freeze' itself!
    Last edited by Flea Bag; 05-04-2006 at 01:18 AM.

Flea Bag,

Can you try and let me know if the charger freeze if you just do CONDITION without the SOFT CHARGING. This setting is faster and should produce better stability.

BCWang: do you remember when your charger froze whether it was in regular CONDITION or SOFT CHARGING + CONDITION?

William

Flashaholic

Hi William,

Sorry, I cannot remember the exact circumstances of the freeze. Next time I will pay close attention though. It's a great charger otherwise. I use it everyday.

Thanks for the offer William, I'll keep you updated if any more freezes occur... Still, I quite like this charger!

Flashaholic

Smile Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

The current charge for various cells in Ansmann Energy 16 :

- AAA : 300mA
    - AA : 700mA
    - C/D : 1000mA
    - 9v : 70mA

For the moment, I don't know the trickle charges's current, but I have asked the question at Ansmann technical support.

For 12Ah D cell (like CTA), the Ansmann will take approximately 15 hours to complete the charge.

I own the Energy 16 since 2,5 years and I'm happy with it.
    But the Maha 808M looks very interesting, regarding the fast charge at 2000mA.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    Hello John,

I have not tested the Ansmann Energy 16 charger, but the specifications indicate that it is capable of charging 9V batteries, where the Maha C808M is not. Charging C or D sized cells, the Ansmann will only do 6 cells at a time, where the Maha will do 8. Another difference is the charging rates. The Ansmann charger will take roughly 20 hours to charge a 10000 mAh D cell, where the Maha will only take about 7 hours.

I don't know what current the Ansmann uses for trickle charging, but the Maha's very low trickle charge current is easy on your cells.

Tom
    Romisen RC-F4 Q5, RC-G2 Q5, Solarforce L2 11074 drop-in, Surefire M2 SKU 11074 drop-in, E2e, Milkyspit KL1 SSCP4 USWOH 700mA McR18, 8AX, Fenix L1P SSC P4 USWOH Millermods 500mA driver, L2P, Millermods Mag 2D Tri-Lux UWOJ 9w

I like my Energy-16 also. I like that it has four 9v slots in addition to the 12 AA/AAA slots. But it is not fast. 1850mah AA's take several hours & 12000mah D's take close to a day. If you want speed the MH C808M is the way to go.
    Primary duty lights: (metal) Elektrolumens Pentalux 4C; (polymer) Pelican M8 LED; (hybrid) StreamLight 3C-XP
    Searchlight: AE PowerLight PL14
    Back-up mini lights: Nuwai TM301X-5, X-3, X-1
    Special LED signaling lights: Torfino ICE light, Inova 24/7, Adventurelights VIP

NYPD flag, adopted in 1919

Flashaholic

Thumbs up Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

The answer from technical support, concerning the trickle current charge for the Ansmann Energy 16 :

Dear Mr. Kose,

thank you for sending your e-mail.

The trickle charge current is:

charging current
    ---------------- = trickle charge current / mA

I Hope this information responsed your questions.

If you have any more question please let me know.

Best regards,

Thus, trickle charge current are, for :

- AAA : 300mA/60 = 5mA

- AA : 700mA/60 = 11,66mA

- C/D : 1000mA/60 = 16,66mA

- 9v : 70mA/60 = 1,16mA

Do you think these values are low enough to permit the accus to stay in the charger all the time once charged ?

Thanks
    Romisen RC-F4 Q5, RC-G2 Q5, Solarforce L2 11074 drop-in, Surefire M2 SKU 11074 drop-in, E2e, Milkyspit KL1 SSCP4 USWOH 700mA McR18, 8AX, Fenix L1P SSC P4 USWOH Millermods 500mA driver, L2P, Millermods Mag 2D Tri-Lux UWOJ 9w

I leave a few AA cells in the charger for a week or more until i need them. I've been doing this for a year+ now with no ill effects.
    Primary duty lights: (metal) Elektrolumens Pentalux 4C; (polymer) Pelican M8 LED; (hybrid) StreamLight 3C-XP
    Searchlight: AE PowerLight PL14
    Back-up mini lights: Nuwai TM301X-5, X-3, X-1
    Special LED signaling lights: Torfino ICE light, Inova 24/7, Adventurelights VIP

NYPD flag, adopted in 1919

Silver Moderator

Hello Flash,

I believe you will get better performance and cycle life from you batteries if you do not leave them on a trickle charge for extended periods of time. There have been some studies that suggest that if you are going to leave your cells on the charger, it is better to use a timer to pulse the cells for a few minutes each day with the full charge current.

The normal acceptable trickle charge rate is somewhere around 0.01 - 0.02C. If we use 0.01C, your charger should be OK for AAA cells that are 500 mAh (or higher), AA cells that are 1200 mAh (or higher), C/D cells that are 1700 mAh (or higher), and 9v cells that are 120 mAh (or higher).

Looking at these numbers, it seems that even if you leave the cells on the charger, the AA and C/D cells would still self discharge faster than the charger could trickle charge them. In light of this, I still believe it is better to develop a habit of charging your cells before use. You will usually have enough left in the cell to be able to use them even if they have been sitting for a month or two or maybe even three. If you don't use them within a couple of months, you will be better served with primary cells.

Tom

Silver Moderator

Update:

There have been some difficulties conditioning NiCd cells in the 808 charger. William has come up with a work around. I have added this information to the first post.

If you end up with a flashing "Done" when charging NiCd cells and notice that you can't seem to do a conditioning cycle on them, read the work around information.

Tom

Great review great charger.

Yaesumofo
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast