RMSK, Inc.        
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 240

Thread: Maha MH C808M Charger

  1. #121
    Flashaholic* Quickbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FlashlightReviews.com
    Posts
    4,329

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    I purchased the C808m a few weeks ago, and it seems to do a great job.

    Doug P.
    Archive of the Original FlashlightReviews.com ::::: The default position on any claim is disbelief until credible evidence is presented.

  2. #122

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    ...

    Looking at these numbers, it seems that even if you leave the cells on the charger, the AA and C/D cells would still self discharge faster than the charger could trickle charge them. In light of this, I still believe it is better to develop a habit of charging your cells before use. You will usually have enough left in the cell to be able to use them even if they have been sitting for a month or two or maybe even three. If you don't use them within a couple of months, you will be better served with primary cells.

    Tom
    Is this also true for eneloop NiMH batteries? That the trickle charge will be less than the self-discharge rate and thus be insufficient to keep the AA and larger size cells fully charged when left on the charger?

    P.S.--Many kudos to you Silverfox for all your work and data and reviews.

    "Here's a good idea: A light bulb that only shines on things worth looking at." --George Carlin

  3. #123
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    12,219

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Hello Europium,

    Sorry, I missed this question until now...

    First of all, I don't recommend leaving batteries on a charger for any length of time. After about a day, the cells should be fully charged and removed from the charger.

    Next, the response you quoted was a reply to Flash about the Ansmann Energy 16 charger and not the Maha C808M charger. I believe the Maha charger "trickle" rates are lower.

    One test I have not done is to leave a cell on the C808M charger for an extended period of time. It could be that when the self discharge of the cell dropped below a certain voltage, the charge process would begin again. This might prove to be an interesting way to maintain cells, but I still don't like leaving them on the charger for extended periods of time.

    Finally, the Eneloop cells have such a small self discharge rate it just doesn't make sense to leave them on the charger all the time. I believe the Eneloop cells have to be dormant to minimize the self discharge rate. Constant trickle charging may adversely effect this process, but I am not familiar enough with the chemistry to know for sure.

    At any rate, it is possible that you could overcharge and dry out the electrolyte in the Eneloop cells by constant trickle charging, even at very low trickle charging rates.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

  4. #124
    Flashaholic* hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Berkeley CA
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Cross reference this thread:
    Maha MH-C800S 8 bay charger
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=137843

  5. #125

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    I have some D batteries which are slightly longer than they probably should be, causing problems in some devices. The top "botton" isn't very long compared to its base, causing problems with charging (in the accumanager20), as well as some devices that have their + terminal connection slightly recessed compared to its surroundings.

    As suggested in a previous thread I posted, I got some small rare earth magnets, and they solve the problem of the connection. But not the length.

    The C808M (and the D also, I suppose) sound like the + terminals are also recessed. On top of this, it doesn't sound like there's a lot of play as far as how much room there is. (The accumanager20 is spring-loaded, and there's plenty of room for the slightly-long D battery).

    Are the batteries (especially D's) tight fitting as it is, or can it accomodate a battery that's maybe a few millimeters longer?

    -Mike

  6. #126
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    105

    Thinking Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Silverfox,

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    Hello Ben,

    I just pulled 8 cells off of the charger. Most of them were at 1.44 volts. The lowest was 1.43 volts, and the highest was 1.46 volts.

    Your cells at 1.39 and 1.40 volts do not seem to be fully charged.

    Tom
    I understand that Ben is measuring AA cells when he got 1.39-1.40v. However I get the same voltage on the 6 Maha Powerex 11000 mAh D cells hot off the charger. Another thing I have noticed is the battery icon behaves a bit differently for the D cells I have.


    For example:

    Charging AA and AAA cells:

    'empty battery icon' > 1bar > 2 bars > 3 bars > "Done"

    Charging D cells:

    'empty battery icon' > 1bar > 2 bars > "Done"

    In addition to that the batteries are much warmer compared to AA cells.

    Any idea what's happening?
    Regards,

    Brian

  7. #127
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Hi William,

    Bought a Maha MH C808M about 3 weeks ago. Has been use intermitantly. Today, after the power-up diagnostics, the no:8 rightmost slot remains light up with a empty battery icon, eventhough there is no battery inserted. On insertina a bateery in the leftmost slot no: 1, the no 8 slot changes to charging even though no battery is inserted. This happens throught all the modes, slow, fast, condtioning etc. What's wrong with the charger?

    Thanks

    Woon

  8. #128
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    4,271

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Just reading this thread makes me think that charger is too smart for me.
    Last edited by etc; 11-24-2006 at 02:13 AM.

  9. #129
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Dear William,

    Thanks for the quick PM. Excellent support. Will do as suggested. Thanks

    Woon

  10. #130
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    12,219

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Hello Mike,

    The 808M has some space for slightly longer D cells, but the spring is very tight. The spring set up with the AccuManager will probably work easier.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

  11. #131
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    12,219

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Hello Brian,

    My D cells come off at 1.45 volts. Perhaps you need to do a few cycles on your cells...

    I have never watched the charging bars. I will have to see if I can spend some time watching them.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

  12. #132

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Dear Folks,
    Any ideas who has the best prices on the Maha MH-C808M ? Is Thomas Dist. the current best try?...Patrick

  13. #133
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    1,281

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Hi Silverfox. Thanks for this review.
    Is there anything specifically that this maha charger can do that the accupower 20 can't do? I know it can charge 4 more cells at the same time. But it's also double the price.
    I'm Trying to justify the cost. I will be charging anything from AAA cells to D cells.

    Thanks
    - EL Pentalux - Inova T2 - ROP 3D - SF E2e - Fenix P1 - Fenix L2T - Fenix LOD CE - ML1 - D-mini - Malkoff Devices 2D - EL QSP (finally arrived) -

  14. #134
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    12,219

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Hello Alin,

    NiMh battery manufacturers recommend charging at a rate of 0.5 - 1.0C when using -dV termination to insure a strong end of charge signal. I believe both chargers use -dV to terminate the charge.

    With that in mind, the AccuPower20 charges at 700 mA, and the C808M charges at 2000 mA or if you select, 1000 mA. The AccuPower20 only charges, and is supposed to have a charging algorithm that prevents large crystal build up (voltage depression). The C808M has a condition mode that fully discharges the cells, then charges them back up. The full discharge method is the recommended method, but I have not heard any complaints from people using the AccuPower20.

    I have heard nothing but good things about both chargers.

    The AccuPower20 has the advantage of smaller size, is able to operate on 12 volts, it has the ability to charge 9 volt batteries, and costs less.

    The C808M has the advantage of being able to charge more cells at a time, it offers 2 charging rates of which both are higher than the AccuPower20, charging high capacity cells is faster because of the higher charge rate, and it has the ability to discharge cells in the conditioning cycle.

    Tough choice... perhaps you should get both.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

  15. #135

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    My third Maha MH C808M charger just died. The first lasted about two months, the second about a month, and the third about 3 months. They all died the same way, after trying to condition AAA cells. I got this charger from Thomas Distributing; who have the best customer service I have every encountered. I would be willing to try a forth C808M, but if I do get one I will not try to condition AAA cells with it. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Note that prior to these failures the chargers worked great.

  16. #136

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    I've had two 808's fail while charging AAA's. Both Thomas Distributing and Maha have been helpful. My third unit has been running for about a week now, charging AAA's and AA's with no problem. I really hope this one lasts.

  17. #137
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    1,281

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    hmm, this may be a problem as i will also be wanting to charge AAA cells with it.
    - EL Pentalux - Inova T2 - ROP 3D - SF E2e - Fenix P1 - Fenix L2T - Fenix LOD CE - ML1 - D-mini - Malkoff Devices 2D - EL QSP (finally arrived) -

  18. #138
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by eav2k
    My third Maha MH C808M charger just died. The first lasted about two months, the second about a month, and the third about 3 months. They all died the same way, after trying to condition AAA cells. I got this charger from Thomas Distributing; who have the best customer service I have every encountered. I would be willing to try a forth C808M, but if I do get one I will not try to condition AAA cells with it. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Note that prior to these failures the chargers worked great.
    How do they fail?

  19. #139
    Flashaholic* Sub_Umbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    la bonne vie en Amérique
    Posts
    4,757

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    ...The AccuPower20 has the advantage of smaller size, is able to operate on 12 volts, it has the ability to charge 9 volt batteries, and costs less.

    The C808M has the advantage of being able to charge more cells at a time, it offers 2 charging rates of which both are higher than the AccuPower20, charging high capacity cells is faster because of the higher charge rate, and it has the ability to discharge cells in the conditioning cycle.

    Tough choice... perhaps you should get both.

    Tom
    Those two chargers complement each other very well. I have both of them and together they are the best of both worlds.

    The AP2020 is gentle...but may require ~36 hours to charge 10,000 mAH NiMH D cells. It may seem worse in real world situations. Since the AP2020 has only four bays it will take around three whole days to charge a 6 D NiMH set for my CD boombox. The C808M makes short work of them. It's kinda breathtaking...

    All of my AAAs get charged in the AP2020. I still use some 1,000 mAH AA NiCads and I prefer to only charge them in the AccuPower since the C808M will revert to it's default 2A charge rate if it's power is interupted for even a half second.

    The C808M is so fast that I may charge over 120 NiCad and NiMH cells while a hurricane approaches by using both chargers. (I use, rotate and maintain all of those cells on an ongoing basis.)

    For me, I wouldn't want to be without either of them. I still hope to run the AP2020 on solar eventually.

  20. #140
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    1,281

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra
    Those two chargers complement each other very well. I have both of them and together they are the best of both worlds.

    The AP2020 is gentle...but may require ~36 hours to charge 10,000 mAH NiMH D cells. It may seem worse in real world situations. Since the AP2020 has only four bays it will take around three whole days to charge a 6 D NiMH set for my CD boombox. The C808M makes short work of them. It's kinda breathtaking...

    All of my AAAs get charged in the AP2020. I still use some 1,000 mAH AA NiCads and I prefer to only charge them in the AccuPower since the C808M will revert to it's default 2A charge rate if it's power is interupted for even a half second.

    The C808M is so fast that I may charge over 120 NiCad and NiMH cells while a hurricane approaches by using both chargers. (I use, rotate and maintain all of those cells on an ongoing basis.)

    For me, I wouldn't want to be without either of them. I still hope to run the AP2020 on solar eventually.


    This isn't making it easier. LOL
    - EL Pentalux - Inova T2 - ROP 3D - SF E2e - Fenix P1 - Fenix L2T - Fenix LOD CE - ML1 - D-mini - Malkoff Devices 2D - EL QSP (finally arrived) -

  21. #141

    Question Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by eav2k
    My third Maha MH C808M charger just died. The first lasted about two months, the second about a month, and the third about 3 months. They all died the same way, after trying to condition AAA cells. I got this charger from Thomas Distributing; who have the best customer service I have every encountered. I would be willing to try a forth C808M, but if I do get one I will not try to condition AAA cells with it. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Note that prior to these failures the chargers worked great.
    Uh-oh, I was ready to get a C808M ... will continue to wait ...

  22. #142
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    1,281

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Bagley
    I've had two 808's fail while charging AAA's. Both Thomas Distributing and Maha have been helpful. My third unit has been running for about a week now, charging AAA's and AA's with no problem. I really hope this one lasts.
    Jeff,
    How are the AAA's and AA's charging in the 808 still? Is it still working for you? or is it still going bad?

    thanks
    - EL Pentalux - Inova T2 - ROP 3D - SF E2e - Fenix P1 - Fenix L2T - Fenix LOD CE - ML1 - D-mini - Malkoff Devices 2D - EL QSP (finally arrived) -

  23. #143

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Two posts above reporting multiple failures of C808M chargers ... These aren't inexpensive chargers and they seem in general to be well regarded. Still, this is a concern and I have e-mailed Thomasdistributing and requested their observations.

  24. #144
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    12,219

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    I have been using my 808 since it came out. I use more AA cells, so end up charging that size more than the others. I only use 24 AAA cells on a regular basis, but I haven't had any problems charging or conditioning those cells.

    It would be interesting to know how the charger failed. There were some reports of display problems, but this unit has been basically trouble free.

    Until we have more information on the failure mode, this unit remains on my recommended list.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

  25. #145

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Alin10123
    The new charger (my third) has been working perfectly. I have many more AA's than AAA's and I use the AA's more frequently. It may take a couple of months before I develope some confidence about the chargers reliability with the AAA's. These are very nice chargers. I hope that I've got a good one this time.

  26. #146

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    It seems that the C808M charger fails, for me, when I try to condition AAA cells. I can't really pinpoint the issue more closely than that. It charges AAA cells just fine, it was only after trying to condition AAA cells that I run into problems. The unit is now blinking done on all bays, with no cells in any of the bays. I have placed every type of cell I have into bays one through eight and it still just blinks Done at me. Also tried disconnecting and reconnecting power with and without cells with no effect.

    I only have three types of AAA cell, I do not know if it was a specific cell that caused the problem. I have 850 mah Energizer cells, 850 mah Lenmar NoMEM cells, and Rayovac 15 minute 800 mah cells.

    So does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

  27. #147

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by eav2k
    It seems that the C808M charger fails, for me, when I try to condition AAA cells. I can't really pinpoint the issue more closely than that. It charges AAA cells just fine, it was only after trying to condition AAA cells that I run into problems. The unit is now blinking done on all bays, with no cells in any of the bays. I have placed every type of cell I have into bays one through eight and it still just blinks Done at me. Also tried disconnecting and reconnecting power with and without cells with no effect.

    I only have three types of AAA cell, I do not know if it was a specific cell that caused the problem. I have 850 mah Energizer cells, 850 mah Lenmar NoMEM cells, and Rayovac 15 minute 800 mah cells.

    So does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
    A thot .... You mention using Rayovac 15 min. cells. These have an internal disconnect feature that is pressure activated when the cells begin to reach full charge. As the cell cools down continuity through the cell is suddenly re-established. Could this behavior have damaged the charger?
    Last edited by Al; 05-09-2007 at 03:58 AM.

  28. #148

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Al
    A thot .... You mention using Rayovac 15 min. cells. These have an internal disconnect feature that is pressure activated when the cells begin to reach full charge. As the cell cools down continuity through the cell is suddenly re-estabished. Could this behavior have damaged the charger?
    I don't know. Could there be some sort of interaction between the high power of this charger and the disconnect feature of the cell? Still the charger is now completely non functional on any bay with any cell.

  29. #149

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    One email to Thomas Distributing and they are sending me a new charger, with a mailing label to return the old one. Love the service. I will not however be charging AAA batteries in it. I have two other chargers I can use instead.

  30. #150
    Silver Moderator
    SilverFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    12,219

    Default Re: Maha MH C808M Charger

    Hello Eav2k,

    The shut off with the RayOVac cells should act as if you removed the cell and then re-inserted it. It should start the default charge again every time it trips. It happens quickly, and that may present a problem for the charger.

    If the charger doesn't reset back to normal when you unplug it, leave it unplugged for a couple of minutes, then plug it back in, you should contact Maha and ask them what is going on.

    The flashing Done indicates that the charge was terminated on high voltage, rather than the normal end of charge termination. This is often seen when charging NiCd cells. However, pulling the cell should eliminate the flashing Done signal.

    Let us know what you find out from Maha.

    Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

    Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •