SF 6Z: compatible LED heads?

TrueNorth

Newly Enlightened
Surefire's site states that the KL3 & KL5 LED heads will work with the 6P. Does this extend to the nearly-identical 6Z? Any feedback on either of these heads?

I have two 6Z's (one I've carried for 5 years, and one unused), so I'd like to give them new life. Recommendations on locations to buy said LED conversion heads??

Thx.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Yes they will work fine. I have 3 KL3's two of the older versions one was modded by "chop" very nice the other older one is stock and I am not real crazy about it but I use it when less light is needed. The new KL3 (that looks like a KL5) is mostly spot not much sidespill at all.The KL5 has a nice spot and sidespill. I got my new KL3 from www.lighthound.com not sure where the L5 was purchased from.
Topper

Last edited:

TrueNorth

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Topper!

I just put in an order with Lighthound for some spare parts to get more miles off my 6Z's.

Cheers.
TrueNorth

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
TrueNorth - take a look at this.

I like my U2 as well - but for throw, this 6Z/KL3 setup (w/an A19 cell extender) is my "bump in the dark" torch!

Last edited:

TrueNorth

Newly Enlightened
Those are some great mods for the 6Z.

My "spare" 6Z, I realized, might actually be worth something, still being NIB with all its accessories (yup, bought it as a backup light, and still haven't used it). So, I figured I'd put it on eBay to see how it'd do (hope it's okay to make reference to that here). I'd sooner put the KL3 head/z48 tailcap on a C3 body, given the choice. If I can sell the 6Z, I'll buy the C3 body.

This site is a great source of info!
~TrueNorth

carrot

Flashaholic
TrueNorth said:
Those are some great mods for the 6Z.

My "spare" 6Z, I realized, might actually be worth something, still being NIB with all its accessories (yup, bought it as a backup light, and still haven't used it). So, I figured I'd put it on eBay to see how it'd do (hope it's okay to make reference to that here). I'd sooner put the KL3 head/z48 tailcap on a C3 body, given the choice. If I can sell the 6Z, I'll buy the C3 body.

This site is a great source of info!
~TrueNorth

You should mark it as an older generation Z2 so you get more views. People looking for the Z2 might settle on your 6Z instead.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Hey Topper...long time no see. How you doing?
I have the 6p with the new kl3 from lighthound... very nice output... for the job, it does pretty much what I need. Would like a bit more brightness, but think this has a lot to do with the lens. Up close it's a blinder though. Very satisfactory performance when you consider the runtime.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi socom45, I am still happy with mine. So TrueNorth did you say parts??? Well tell us what you got. Inquiring minds want to know (us nosy folks do too)
Topper

TrueNorth

Newly Enlightened
Ah, yes, parts!

Well, the starting point was my two 6Z's: one new, one that's been carried daily for about 5 yrs.

Just ordered the following:
  • z48 tailcaps (two, HA)
  • KL3-HA head
  • M2-HA bezel
The plan is to sell the unused 6Z, get a C3 body, and... To be honest, I haven't decided whether the KL3 will go on the 6Z or the C3. Suggestions?
Can I stick a P91 lamp in the M2/C3? What are the relative benefits of one approach over the other? Most likely, I'll put the M2 on the 6Z body, and the KL3 on the C3 body.

~TrueNorth

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
Too close to my bedtime as I get up at 4:30 AM central redneck time and type with one finger. In the event nobody posts something sooner I will get back with you on that. Real quick if a M2 Bezel fits (I do not have one) on the C3 body then the P91 is good to go. I have a M3; M4's (2) M6's (2) never thought I would need a M2 I do have a C3 I like it. I do accept PM's however it is smarter to post out loud in case I (or others) give less than good ideas other folks that know better can jump in and help. I meant that in the nicest way.
Topper

socom45

Newly Enlightened
True North, the kl3 will go on the 6z, and I BELIEVE will work on the c3. It won't work on the M3 for sure as the thread diameter is larger than that of the KL3 head. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong here:thinking:

Topper: BTW, I did take the plunge and bought a surefire U2.... Love it, and it's well worth the price...but I did happen to get one with a good beam (not perfectly solid center spot, but not far off, and has a nice bright tint). Hope all is well.

Last edited:

TrueNorth

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few pics of the 6Z with the M2 bezel and KL3 head. Also attached is the z48 tailcap. The KL3 puts out some remarkable light! I'm truly impressed at this LED.

Full-length shot with KL3 head.

Oblique shot with M2 bezel.

Oblique shot with KL3 head.
I'll follow up when I have the C3, which I'll put the KL3 on permanently.