GatLight V2 - Unlimited Brightness Levels - POLL for people who signed up

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
We will most likely add -unlimited brightness levels- to the V2 GatLights. Here is a movie clip of the variable brightness levels:

Then here is a link to a photo album in case you don't know what the GatLight is.

Another new feature will most likely be a temperature sensor to dim the light when it overheats.

However these features comes at the expense of a delay of 1 month - so we would start delivering the lights in April instead of March.

Those who signed up for the GatLight, please vote whether you prefer to wait a month longer and have these new feature or whether you prefer the light as originally planned but to be delivered on time?

Last edited:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, approximately what percent of max brightness will the "too hot" mode be?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some Answers:
We are not using an encoder.

I would have to do a wild guess regarding the too-hot mode. Most LuxIII lights in this size have about 350mA to the LED, the brightest ones about 550mA to the LED. The V1 GatLight was set to 400-500 mA - which we considered normal temperature (but had a pot to change that setting).

For the V2 GatLIght, we significantly improved heatsinking with the aluminum core board, so my guess is that normal brightness can be around 500mA or a little bit more. Everything above that will be warm or hot. The max will be set to 1,000mA. Now 1,000 sounds like twice as bright, however remember brightness scales logrithmically so even though you put twice the current in (for hot mode) it will only be a little bit brighter (but with half the runtime and twice the heat).

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archangel said:
Does the knob linearly control current?

We are still testing and evaluating the circuit - also since the machinists seem to take longer - since they seem to be booked for January - we are currently evaluating a couple of other things that might go into the light and improve specifically the driver.

So once we have the V2 design and electronics finalized and tested I can provide more information - right now I would tell you something that might change again tomorrow if we decide to add other features.