• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestion for PEAK - spares carrier?

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
MJ,

I was looking for a nice small rugged carrier for spare CR123 batteries, and there were not very many good choices. I purchased a SureFire 4-CR123 carrier, but it is oddly shaped and bulky.

Here is an example of the kind of thing I am looking for:
http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/tools/trekker.html

It looks like an excellent product, but at $40 ea, it is certainly overpriced. You can get a McKinley for not much more! I was thinking that if Peak is making a profit selling 2AA battery tubes for $10, they could produce a competitive product for $15 or so?

I'd buy two, and keep spares safely in the glovebox of each car.
Any interest from anyone else?

Thanks!

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
For about 2 buck$, you can buy a plastic water-proof match case at Walmart. It'll take one CR123 battery. If the rattle bothers ya, just stuff-in some cotton. Very pocketable. Get several for multiple-battery storage.

Various sporting-goods stores like ****'s and REI also sell these.

Beyond that, you can usually get those little plastic film cases free at photo-processing shops. Not as rugged as the match cases, but "free" is cheap.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
Yes! This is exactly what I want for my CPF special. A few single battery holders on my lanyard would make it a good bit more practical. Or, perhaps you could make it more compact by having two in separate compartments with individual lids, back to back? Ideally, it would have a teflon plug at the cap end, and foam at the butt end, or something of the sort to prevent rattling. Perhaps you could do both by using a screw in lanyard post like your keychain model lights (without the negative contact, of course) and offering a double ended screw with a flat ring in between so you can connect two end to end in your pocket. This would even enable you to carry your spare attached to your light, if you wished.

Anyways, you would have me for a few of these, for sure. Please, put the trekker vault people out of business, that is a ridiculous price. In fact, I've seen pill fobs selling for prices similar to this, this might be a great market for you to break into.

As for using a plastic match box, I've seen those things, and your idea is great until it gets stepped on or run over. I would like my spares (or pills or whatever) to survive such incidents unharmed.

-Aaron

Macaw

Enlightened
If you want to have a metal battery carrier, you might want to check out lightmania's
post in the dealer's corner. He has a 2x123A carrier for $16.80 shipped.

DallasA

Enlightened
jburgett said:
MJ,

I was looking for a nice small rugged carrier for spare CR123 batteries, and there were not very many good choices. I purchased a SureFire 4-CR123 carrier, but it is oddly shaped and bulky.

Here is an example of the kind of thing I am looking for:
http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/tools/trekker.html

It looks like an excellent product, but at $40 ea, it is certainly overpriced. You can get a McKinley for not much more! I was thinking that if Peak is making a profit selling 2AA battery tubes for $10, they could produce a competitive product for $15 or so?

I'd buy two, and keep spares safely in the glovebox of each car.
Any interest from anyone else?

Thanks!

I might be able to come up with a solution for this an idea that I have in mind. To be quit honest if I can do it it is going to take me a little time. Let me think about this to night and see what I can do. I will post a follow up by Thursday for sure.

MJ

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
MJ:

What a nifty use for "spare" Peak bodies!

All you need to do is design/manufacture an inexpensive (but waterproof) screw-on end-cap to replace the LED head... and Voila! There's your Spare Battery Carrier.

I could see these in both 1 X and 2 X AAA, AA, and CR123 sizes all selling well. The key-chain models would probably be the most popular (easier for the user to attach/secure). Probably wouldn't need the extensive knurling you put on the standard Peak lights -- though the HA-III anodizing is a big plus -- so that could be a production-cost savings.

Your competition is those cheap $2-$3 plastic match cases sold at sporting goods stores. However, they are crushable, a bit bulky (in CR123 size)... and certainly not as classy as something in a Peak body.

-->> As the owner/gift-giver of 8 Peak lights, I hereby volunteer to be a Beta-Tester for this invention!

Last edited:

DallasA

Enlightened
OK I came up with a solution. We use to make the K2 that has a one side a spare compartment for a CR123 Battery. I use that cap with a CR123 Pocket and it works great. Price would be 5.00 for the body 5.00 for the cap.

However I only have 3 of the caps left and only in Brass. We will need to make additional caps for this option. I am not sure when we can get it in to our schedule yet.

MJ

randyo

Enlightened
Along the same lines - needing a device to safely carry my extra Matterhorn heads, I started looking online. The price for metal "pill carriers" of sufficient size was ridiculous! I finally realized that for a FAR cheaper price I could just buy another Matterhorn body and keep the head connected to another tiny flashlight. DOH!!!!! Plus - it's smaller than any container would be.
Additionally, a Kilmanjaro body with a "cap" would make an excellent carrier for extra Matterhorn heads. You can easily fit 2 heads in one of those.

Last edited:

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
DallasA said:
OK I came up with a solution. We use to make the K2 that has a one side a spare compartment for a CR123 Battery. I use that cap with a CR123 Pocket and it works great. Price would be 5.00 for the body 5.00 for the cap.

However I only have 3 of the caps left and only in Brass. We will need to make additional caps for this option. I am not sure when we can get it in to our schedule yet.

MJ
I was just wondering if there was any new information on this great idea. I would love a brass cap to carry a spare for my Rrainier.
Thanks