finalizing compatability for xenon/ion options...

mdocod

Flashaholic
Ok... I've decided on a few things.

I'm going to build, a li-ion rechargable type flashlight that will drive a P91.

I'm trying to do this for the least cost possible...

the "obvious" option (to me) at this point is the following setup....

digilight T12 (or T9+extension):around $90-100 shipped
DSD charger: $13.50 shipped
2x wolf eyes 168B: around $40-50 shipped
Surefire P91: $31.99 shipped

somewhere around $185 for this setup... so... now, here's where i am trying to figure out how to get a similar setup for less...

1. i've learned that AWs protected cells won't run a P91 (or perhaps, in rare circumstances, they will, but no reliably)
2. i've decided I want to stick to protected cells, so, the wolf eyes/pila options are the only I know of on the table, too bad they are so expensive.
3. I've looked into using the ultrafire 12V body- but was informed that it contains a plastic lense that will not hold up under the power of the P91.
4. I've learned that the G&P G120 high pressure "227lumen" has similar output as the P91 in some comparisons...

So.... one way to cut cost: is there a way to replace the lense in the ultrafire body with a glass lense? if the lense were cheap, this could easily pull $60 off the price tag in a hurry.

another thing I was thinking... a T12, with 2 extenders, running 3 of AWs 17670s driving the stock G&P G120 12V high pressure.... would be a larger flashlight, but would probably work with AWs cells, run longer, and be similar to a P91 option in output....
in the end, that option may only save me about $10-20 compared to my first "example" above.... but is being considered....

ok... so, any suggestions on how to get a ion rechargable, in the output range of a P91, for less money...

any help super apreciated.

lexina

Enlightened
mdocod said:
So.... one way to cut cost: is there a way to replace the lense in the ultrafire body with a glass lense? if the lense were cheap, this could easily pull $60 off the price tag in a hurry.

actually i have read elsewhere that the Ultrafires sold by TradeDigit do come with a glass lens - perhaps it's only the ones sold on eBay that don't. you may want to enquire further.

another thing I was thinking... a T12, with 2 extenders, running 3 of AWs 17670s driving the stock G&P G120 12V high pressure.... would be a larger flashlight, but would probably work with AWs cells, run longer, and be similar to a P91 option in output...

I am sure Paul_in_Maryland would caution you against attempting this - he has gone the same route and given up on trying to run a 12v bulb on 3 rechargeables. Recently, a friend of mine also blew his G120 trying to run it on 3 unprotected R123s. Do a search on threads started by Paul and look for this thread - "G&P's newest tactical: 12V miniturbo". In it, you will find a lot of useful information that may provide the answers to the questions you are asking.

As for me, I am very happily settled on running a G&P G90 on a 6P+A19 with 2Xprotected 17500s.

Cheers,