What would be more fun- Mini HID or X990?

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
What would you enjoy more when the sun goes down to look out over the bay?

One of those Mag modded HID lights or an X990?

1man.JPG

Thanks,
Dave

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Gorgeous photo! I'd opt for the X990 which is absolutely amazing to fire up in a wide open space like that. However even more than the X990 (and I know this wasn't your question) I'd opt for somehting like the Harbor Freight HID. The X990 is one of my favorite HID lights, but a light with an enormous reflector like the HF/Costco would really light up those distant hills nicely and be a lot of fun in that setting.

cfb

HighLight

Enlightened
If its between these two only then I would pick the MC X990 hands down. While both are awesome lights the X990 has much more throw and is much more powerful. Even though the X990 is several years old now it more than holds its own against the current crop of 35W HID's.

CLHC

Flashaholic
With the Acro/MC X990 since it has a larger reflector than the MiniHID. It would be a great to see how it can light up China Man's Hat from the shore eh? Then you'll know for sure which one throws. . .

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have one of the HID's on order from Waterfish. Guess I'll have to order the X990 too.

Thank you,
Dave

Here's the view to the right.
moonrise.JPG

CLHC

Flashaholic
You'll really like that MagHID from those fellows Dave! What side of the island is that from. Kaneohe, Kahala, you know what I forgot already because it's been 20 years since I left. Man I need a refresher!

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Oh, would the Harbor Freight light put out a lot more light than the X990? The bay is about 2 miles across. I have the US Marine base directly across. You can see some of their equipment on top of the mountain in the first photo. I wonder if they would mind? They run a a variety of aircraft from the base.

But, the more throw the better since it's a big wide open space. I'll be shining it off my lanai so size isn't that big of a concern.

Mahalo,
DF

Here's the view looking back the other way.
c.jpg

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
I live in Kaneohe on Oahu. Very close to Coconut Island where the opening scene of Gilligan's Island was filmed. Lilipuna Road 96744 if you want to do a map search.

I love the winters in Hawaii. It's cooled down in the last week. We bottomed out at 61 degrees the other night.

Well, time to go to work.

Take care,
DF

lotsalumens

Enlightened
If those hills on the other side are 2 miles away then neither light will do much in terms of lighting them up. I thought they were closer in the photo. The HF light will however have more throw than the X990. Like I said I have an X990 and it is my favorite HID. I also have a Thor 15mcp converted to HID (very similar to HF though mine is switchable to 50w). I can say that at the same 35w the larger reflector light will throw much farther. Take a look at the the new superlights III thread and you'll see what I mean.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kenshiro2/

cfb

CLHC

Flashaholic
Now that's what I call a refresher, er. . .flashback! I remember walking/wadding in the middle of Kaneohe Bay since there was a sandbank or something there where you can walk around in waist deep water. Have to get there by boat though. Water was really warm, like taking a very warm bath.

I think the HF HID and the Acro/MC X990 are roughly the same Lumen output of, what? . . .+3200 or somewhere abouts? I'm sure you're aware of the GB from SUVLights.Com has on the later HIDs. The kit comes with two (2) rechargeable batteries for $300.00. Don't know what this year's pricing will be though.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

On new year's eve we had a party and I broke out my old Garrity spotlight that I purchased at Wal Mart a few years back for about $35. I scanned the water and was surprised to find two kayakers about 300 yards offshore. They were not well lit up but we could definately make them out. I guess I'm still leaning towards the X990 since it is much smaller and all the positive remarks. Would an X990 be able pick up those kayakers if they were 1000 or 2000 yards out? What's the outer limits of the X990 and Harbor Freight HID?

Regarding the sandbar, it's is still a favorite spot for people to spend a day. It's a mile or two north. If the guy in the one man canoe, in the first photo, kept going that general direction he would get to the sandbar. If he kept going that same direction past the sandbar he would run into Chinaman's hat after a pretty long paddle. The guy in the first photo is my neighbor who is well into his 70's. One man canoes are have pretty much taken over the kayak market out here. Check em out.
http://www.ocpaddler.com/oc1intro

I usually kayak from my house, across the bay to the Marine base and back. It takes about 45 minutes. Here a picture of the view on the way back.

feet.gif

HighLight

Enlightened
I agree that if both lights are 35W HID then then for throw you should opt for the one with the largest reflector. I think for raw performance/value the Harbour Freight HID is the best.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
....you know, you just might need both. One for raw throw, and the other because it is just a really nice light. :whistle:

jtice

Flashaholic
The Costco HUGE HID light throws alittle more than the X990

But the X990 is a much better light, and alot more useful.
and the beam is more useful for around the house, etc, sence its spill is real nice.

~John

dash8

Newly Enlightened
I had both the HID Mag (sold it) and a X990 I recently got from SUV Lights.com. The X990 is the way to go. When I ordered mine, I spoke to J. Liu and he said he had a few sets left, this was last month. Got it with 2 batterys shipped to Hawaii for $330.

If you're 2 miles away from MCAS, the X990 won't reach it, I don't think the HF HID will either. Wish I knew what parts are needed to run this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7578371179 because it definitely would. I'm sure the Marines wouldn't be happy though.

G.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
The X990 is a really excellent light and certainly held its own in the recent shootout. In addition to a decent spot, if you open up the focus it can produce a huge wall of light that can illuminate a really big space (like an entire field). The construction is pretty decent too, and the easily changed battery pack design is nice.

x990.jpg

I wasn't kidding about both though, since the cheap HF should have substantially more throw. My modified Thor 15mcp has a similarly sized refelctor to the HF. It out-throws my X990 by quite a bit and can light up low lying clouds as well as things about .5-.75 miles away. Performance may vary with the HF, but maybe someone who has one can comment.

cfb

Last edited:

Waterfish

Newly Enlightened
Amazing pictures Dave. I'll get that light out to you as soon as the parts come in.

Here are a few of my pictures from my hawaii trip.

did someone say chinaman's hat?

cmanhat.jpg

the turtle shaped island:

turtle.jpg

picture of the highway going into the mountains:

highway.jpg

lotsalumens

Enlightened
You guys are making me jealous! Well at least it's been a pretty mild winter here in the Northeast.

cfb