Review: Amilite Neo T3 (beamshots added 1-14-06)

clipse

Enlightened
I got a package from Korea yesterday. All I can say is WOW. This light is awesome. All sorts of brightness and throw in such a little package.

IM000539.JPG

The Amilite Neo T3 is an alluminim single celled luxeon flashlight from Korea. It takes on CR123a and uses it very well. It is very bright and the company says it will last for 1 hr 30 min. Not too shaby for as bright as it is.

When I say this light is tiny I mean TINY. Its much smaller than all but two of my lights which are made to be put on a keychain and are much much more dim. Here are a few pics of it next to other lights I have.

IM000562.JPG

IM000566.JPG

It fits in the pocket really really nicely. I do thing that they edges of the machined ridges are a bit sharp but thats no biggie. It twists very easy and turning it on with one hand is really simple.

It came with a lanyard and belt clip. Neither of which I have much use for so I attatched the lanyard you see in the pictures. I didn't have much time for many beamshot(I'll try to get that done in the next couple days.)

Out put is really nice. It is brighter than my Fenix L1P and Dorcy Super 1 Watt. It the hotspot is bigger than the Fenix and it comes in really handy when I check the house for monsters at night. :)

I have one gripe about this light though. There is the smallest about of anodizing missing from one part of the light. This is actually alot less than what some have seen so I won't complain. You can see it in this picture.

IM000568.JPG

The finish is a HAIII or type III hard anodizing. It is a bit shinier than I was expecting but it feels like it would hold up really really well.

I don't really have much else to say about this light. Its really bright, small, and great quality. It will work very well as a back up light or just a light to look at. :)

And to finish it off, here are just a few more pics.

IM000537.JPG

IM000559.JPG

IM000563.JPG

Edited to add: I got it from www.amilite.co.kr and it was $72 plus $12 shipping.

clipse

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
Re: Review: Amilite Neo T3

Looks like a great little light. Nice pics too! Let us know how it does, and don't forget those beamshots! :naughty:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have dropped mine on a peice of metal, and it didnt scratch the least bit. I am not a fan of the beam-quality though. Yours seems to have some HA3 on the head threads, but mine has none at all.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, yours doesnt have an O-ring between the lens and the Bezel does it?

-David

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened

I used a black sharpie marker to color the ring where the HA3 was missing.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review :). Did the shown little lanyard come with the light? also, I hope this isnt too irrelevant, but whats that inside your trigger guard on your 1911?

chrisse242

Enlightened

Mags said:
Nice review :). Did the shown little lanyard come with the light? also, I hope this isnt too irrelevant, but whats that inside your trigger guard on your 1911?

Looks like a point socket for a ratchet, I wonder what it does there? :thinking:

clipse

Enlightened

I made the lanyard. The Socket is there to prop the gun up. :)

NextLight

Enlightened

I agree there is a lot to like about the Amilite T3; Brightness, size, run time, beam shape, finish, and decent ergonomics, for its size.

I am running mine on standard RCR123A rechargeables, with no apparent ill effects. Time will tell if this is truly reliable. I put a small diameter rubber o-ring over the positive battery button. This allows a cirgar grip activation technique to be used, when the two pieces are screwed down the the correct point. For me, the Amilite T3 is a nice backup light. Out at night, mine is most often paired with a belt carried Gladius on EDIT>3.0V<EDIT regulated RCR123As, and/or C3-BK+P91 on unprotected 17500s, depending on planned activities.

Minuses:
Besides the frequent complaint about missing HA-III below the o-ring, the edges of the lanyard loop are razor sharp. Put most anything other than metal in there and give a tug...The light will cut plastic, nylon, or even kevlar instantly. Likewise, the body machining is quite sharp. This makes the light uncomfortable to carry up against the skin, or pressed against the skin thru a thin layer of clothing.

All in all, a useful addition to my compact light arsenal, and a worthy competitor to my Surefire KL4 + Vital Gear FB1, for daytime primary or evening backup/concealed carry.

Last edited:

Radio

Modulated Moderator

How in the world did you get an RCR123 in there? have to shake mine just to get CR123's out because it's so tight. What model or brand are the rechargeables? Did you have to remove the plastic on the outside or in some way modify the light os battery? Thanks for the info.

NextLight

Enlightened

Radio said:
How in the world did you get an RCR123 in there? have to shake mine just to get CR123's out because it's so tight.

Only standard unprotected, unregulated, RCR123As fit. I have two from Lighthound (Marked LC 16340 700 mAh) that fit easily. And I have 6 of 10 from Dae (white top inulator that looks like a fat "+" sign, marked LIR 123A 3.6V 800mAh) that barely fit. But, most DO have to be tapped out, as you say, unless modified.

ONLY for use in this and similar lights with no insulator or moving parts in the bottom assembly, one could cut the insulating jacket off the bottom portion (1/8-1/4 inch works for me) of the cell for a better fit. It is still safe to charge these in a Nano charger IMO, but one needs to use care with putting it in other light bodies and probably some other chargers.

Radio

Modulated Moderator

Thanks for the very detailed explanation, yes mine are all protected cells and do not fit, might get a couple of unprotected just to use in the AmiLite since I Luv free lumens and the AmiLite Luvs batteries!!! :)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also want to add that the missing HA in your picture seems to be quite a large amount. I am pretty sure Amilite would replace that one for you.

onthebeam

Enlightened

Mags said:
I also want to add that the missing HA in your picture seems to be quite a large amount. I am pretty sure Amilite would replace that one for you.
I would suggest asking for a replacement, too. Mine came with no problems at all with missing HA3. For about $70, these things should be taken care of. Great light!

clipse

Enlightened

onthebeam said:
I would suggest asking for a replacement, too. Mine came with no problems at all with missing HA3. For about $70, these things should be taken care of. Great light!

I'm not that concerned about about. A black sharpie later and you can't tell. Besides, its not worth the hassle to send the light back to Korea and wait for them to send one back to me. I'm perfectly happy with the little guy. :)

clipse

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Clipse,

Nice review, excellent pics and beautiful lanyards! As Doug mentions in Flashlight Reviews, the Neo T3 is remarkably bright. In its size class I have found it to be brighter than any commercial light other than the HDS and Lioncub, and it is somewhat smaller than those lights. Despite its relatively short runtime the T3's beam is so superior in terms of brightness and pattern that I'm seriously considering it as a replacement for my Peak Carribean (pocket version).

Trouble is, the Peak is even smaller than the Neo, very bright (though not equal to the Neo) with longer runtime and almost small enough to be a keychain light. It is wonderfully compact. I've been alternating between those two and finding it hard to make a decision.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

clipse said:
I'm not that concerned about about. A black sharpie later and you can't tell. Besides, its not worth the hassle to send the light back to Korea and wait for them to send one back to me. I'm perfectly happy with the little guy. :)

clipse

The photo showing the "missing" HA3...is that with the light turned all the way off, or is the body screwed toward the on position to show where the bare spot is?

clipse

Enlightened

Trashman said:
The photo showing the "missing" HA3...is that with the light turned all the way off, or is the body screwed toward the on position to show where the bare spot is?

It is screwed so the light is off. Actually screwed it a bit further than usual just to show off the missing HA3.

clipse

Enlightened

Beamshots!!!

I don't have the best camera for beamshots but it'll give you an idea. All beamshots were taken about a 6 feet.

Dorcy Super 1 Watt 1x123 (left), Amilite (right)
dorcyvsneo.jpg

Streamlight Jr. Lux (left), Amilite (right)
jrvsneo.jpg

Fenix L1P (left), Amilite(right)
l1pvsneo.jpg

That was a bit deceaving so here is the same pic only in negative form.
l1pvsneoneg.jpg

Streamlight TL2 LED 2nd gen (left), Amilite (right)
tl2vsneo.jpg

Surefire G2 (left), Amilite (right)
g2vsneo.jpg

clipse

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice beamshots. It seems the Amilite has a rather yellow tint compared to other LED lights. sidespill looks HUGE.