Joker LED ???

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have searched like mad however can not find out what a Joker LED actually is....just a few references to them installed into other lights.
I have gathered it is some form of different luxeon however can not figure out if it is a factory made part of simply a custom order.
So can someone tell me exactly what a "Joker" is and is it better or worse that the standard Luxeons?...Thanks

B@rt

Flashaholic
I assume you are talking about Don's "joker" luxes, IIRC these have a different hight wich alters the beam when placed in a reflector. :thinking:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have their die at higher height,so when used with normal reflectors for luxeon, they will have a donut hole in the beam.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen a donut hole in the beam with my 'joker' Luxeons, rather the pre-existing donut hole went away after I put a 'joker' LuxV in a U2, and a LuxIII 'joker' in an Aleph2 gives a larger and less intense hotspot.

Basically, the 'joker' has a lower die height which means the emitting surface is below the focal point of most reflectors, affecting the beam quality.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Thanks for the link Peter....I can not believe I have not paid much attention to this before. It is an interesting read and I am now wondering if it is simply another form of the luxeon lottery. Before we had to worry about tint when buying now we have to worry about what height of emitter we receive as well as tint.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think the Joker issue is a responsibility of the builder as this will change the beam pattern significantly and thus the characteristics of the light in question whereas tint is cosmetics.
bernie

P.S.: I feel sorry for our guys here ... when I look at the mess Don is going through with this "Joker" issue ... specially made reflectors etc, ... a mess :green:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:wave: Can you imagine the crap SF and the other major players have been putting up with, with "holy" (delib. mispell) beams. :green: My (albeit limited) understanding is that Lumileds has yet to issue a "statement." Hopefully, the "major players" can get Lumileds to remedy the lack of information! (Another "bin" factor? :geez: ) I have my first "Jokers" ordered and don't particularly relish the idea of shortening Don's reflectors from the rear! (Visions of LH for LC. :green: )

Larry