Help me decide, Inova T3,Pentagonlight L2, or others???

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to buy another light (like always) but am having a hard time deciding which one I should choose. My preferences are that it should be around the size of a Minimag, MUST be regulated, and I am hoping for good throw and a large hot spot.
The Inova T3 seems like the obvious choice. I really like how it looks, and it looks to fulfill most of my requirements.
I then stumbled upon the Pentagonlight L2 last night, and it also looks like it might be something I would like as well.

How much more powerful is the Pentagonlight compared to the T3?

I also really like the Streamlight Scorpion. Is the Pentagonlight more powerful than that?
If there are any other possible suggestions out there, please tell me.

Thanks alot for anyone who replies. :)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Pelican M6 2390 3W also. Comes in a nice OD Green HA3 finish.

I have a Streamlight Scorpion LED and love it. Very bright for a 1W and very good throw. Check out Quickbeam's site (www.flashlightreviews.com) to compare performance. I got the Scorpion LED mainly for the performance per dollar. The total light output and throw are great for the price, especially since I got it for $40 (+tax). If I had a little more money at the time, I would've gotten the Streamlight TL-2 LED (gen2) instead though ($59). They both have virtually identical performance, but I prefer the design and smaller form factor of the TL-2 LED. I believe the internals (light engine, etc.) are the same between the two. There's also the NF-2 LED, but I like the TL-2 design better. I only wish the SLs came in HA3.

The Pentagon L2 and Pelican M6 2390 use Lux3s and make more light than the Streamlights. The Streamlights (Scorpion, TL-2, and NF-2 LEDs) use Lux1s, but still produce a lot of light for a Lux1 along with great throw. The Pentagon and Pelican cost a bit more, but if you're already considering those, the price probably isn't a deciding factor. I like Inovas, but they tend to be larger than their competitors. From what I've found in my research, the Pentagons have a stiff tail switch that provides little to no feedback of engagement and the lens can fall out (not attached to anything) when you disassemble the head. For the Pelicans, the threads can sometimes be rough as they often seem to come from the factory unlubed. The nice thing about the Pentagons are the interchangable parts that are available...they're basically a lower priced version of Surefire (perhaps not the same level of performance/quality, but SF's their target). The Pelican is nice as it can be disassembled and thus modified. If you want the additional brightness, I'd say either the Pentagon or Pelican. There's people on the boards that favor both. If you want good brightness and throw for lower price (and willing to give up HA3), the Streamlights are very nice (I prefer the TL-2 LED gen2).

HTH and sorry for the novel.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks alot Jsr. I really like the look of the Pentagonlight, and I think it is superior compared to the Pelican 2390 (as well as being cheaper).
More replies are greatly appreciated.

not2bright

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer,

I own both the 2390 and the Penty L2. Both are great lights, hoever I think the PL L2 is a considerably better light at a lower price.

The PentagonLight is very well built and designed to function in harsh enviroments. IMO, it is the only light on your list that is in the same leauge as SF.

Both the Pelican and Penty have excellent beams, great throw (bright hotspot) with very nice side spill.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright said:
adirondackdestroyer,

I own both the 2390 and the Penty L2. Both are great lights, hoever I think the PL L2 is a considerably better light at a lower price.

The PentagonLight is very well built and designed to function in harsh enviroments. IMO, it is the only light on your list that is in the same leauge as SF.

Both the Pelican and Penty have excellent beams, great throw (bright hotspot) with very nice side spill.

Not2Bright,

Thanks alot for your reply. I am really liking the Pentagonlight, where is the best place to buy it? I saw that "HighMarketGoods" was selling them for a pretty good price on Ebay. Is buying from him the best choice?
Here is a link to his auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pentagon-L2-Flashlight-LED-Luxeon-Bulb-HA-Light_W0QQitemZ8724014213QQcategoryZ106988QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

THanks

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned or do own all the lights mentioned except the Pentagon. In general, for a 2 cell EDC light, I prefer a larger hotspot to max throw and would trade away a fair bit of throw to have the largest hotspot I can get than can reach about 20 yards with some power. Though I have knocked the T3 in the past, I will say that the hotspot itself is beautiful. And quite large. I'm just not crazy about the ringy spillbeam and the general lack of a spillbeam.

There 3W Pelican has a smaller hotspot, but it has a bit more throw and is noticably brighter overall. The Streamlight TL-2 2nd Gen has a similar beam pattern and is much brighter than one would expect a Lux I to be. When I received mine, I actually went to flashlightreviews.com to verify that it was a Lux 1 light but like the Pelican, the hotspot is quite narrow and intense.

Overall, I'd say if you don't mind the larger than average T3 and you don't mind the ringy spill beam, it has a great hotspot, very decent throw and great quality.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reccomend the PM6 3W..... great finish, great beam, great regulation, and GREAT throw. Not to mention the warranty.

-David

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not really considering the Pelican 2390, mainly because it is quite a bit more expensive than the Pentagonlight L2, and they seem to be very similar overall (with the slight nod going to the L2).
I am hoping that there are some more Pentagonlight L2 users who can describe it with a little more detail.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slight nod to L2??? in terms of finish... yes, in terms of lux... no (close... or so I hear), but the spot on the L2 is bigger.

-David

not2bright

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
Not2Bright,

Thanks alot for your reply. I am really liking the Pentagonlight, where is the best place to buy it? I saw that "HighMarketGoods" was selling them for a pretty good price on Ebay. Is buying from him the best choice?
Here is a link to his auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pentagon-L2-Flashlight-LED-Luxeon-Bulb-HA-Light_W0QQitemZ8724014213QQcategoryZ106988QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

THanks

adirondackdestroyer, I purchased mine from Jacob High of HighMarketGoods. Excellent service, highly reccomended. I paid $99 for my 2390 and $67 for my Penty L2. IMO my PL L2 is worth well more than my 2390 (serial numbered BS limited edition). The PL is an awesome tool. The output, beam color, beam quality, beam style, and output are nearly identical on the 2390 and PL L2. The HA finish, glass lens, dual o-rings, LOTC, and gold springs are all better on the LESS expensive PL L2. Customer service from both is excellent! I would say that PentagonLight was slightly better (due to an error on my part I messed up the finish on the L2, they sent me a new body, quickly, no charge. Pelican wanted me to send the light back to have a factory defective HA area fixed).

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info on the PL L2, but I would say it is the best buy (value for the dollar) I have made. OTOH my HDS is now my favorite light.

Last edited:

cazador

Newly Enlightened
Let me know if I'm imposing here, but I'd like to join adirondackdestroyer here on this thread. I've been looking at all the above lights myself for much the same reasons. Is it possible for one of you guys that has some of these lights to post a picture of them side by side? Or even with one or more of these lights next to something else common, like a Stinger, G2, or the like? I know, there are pics of most of them next to a mini mag @ FlashlightReviews.com, but believe it or not, I don't have one. :huh:
I need this light for my duty belt as a back up to my Stinger, so size is a concern. Thanks in advance, if I'm buttin' in, let me know.

not2bright

Enlightened
cheapo said:
I was thinking about getting an L2, but it just doesnt throw Like the PM6 3W.... I dont settle for a lesser throwing light if I can get more. So I got the PM6, and I am glad I did. Look at this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96519&highlight=pentagonlight

-David

I believe it all depends on the Luxeon lottery. My PL L2 throws the same as my 2390. Don't get me wrong, my 2390 is a great light, but my PL L2 for $67 is a FAR better instrument. To the eye, same output, throw, spill, and tint. The PL L2 gets you double o-rings, glass lens, nicer HA finish, gold plated springs, and a better functioning Lock Out Tail Cap. Additionally in my opinion the PL L2 has much better shock isolation if it were too be mounted on a firearm. I think from the design the PentagonLights are designed to take the abuse of firearm weapon mounts and the Pelican just aren't designed for that. If you fully disassemble both you will see what I mean.

Once again I am not slamming the 2390. However if you saw both in person, tested both in the dark, then took both apart and examined them closely the PentagonLight is the better of the two (even if the cost were the same). Then consider that the Penty costs about 20 cr123's less than the 2390, it is the better choice. I have used both for several months and now my 2390 is safely tucked away in it's case and the Penty still gets daily use and generates a smile everytime I switch it on.

If I were looking to spend $99 on a light I would buy a HDS EDC B42 from OpticsHQ. Much smaller than either the PL L2 or 2390, four levels of light, excellent beam, perfect finish, AR lens, single cell 123.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
*Keep in mind the following is just my opinion based on experience with the lights.

I have owned all the lights mentioned thus far and after carrying each for a few weeks I sold my 3 Watt Pelican, sold my scorpion, took apart my L2 to mod it with a brighter emitter and carry the T3 everyday.

I find that the current generation of LuxI/III lights (40-52 lumens) are just not effective enough at anything other than very short throw when coupled with a reflector. I really prefer an optic for anything other than a walking light. The throw from a reflector may be good on paper but I just find it lacking in real life.

Side Note: The head of the L2 is sealed with some amazingly effective thread locker so the lens falling out should not be an issue unless you make it one.

My Experience with tints and stuff

First T3: Slightly slightly purple but brighter than T3 #2. Died from impact on a concrete floor from a height of 27 feet bezel first, Replaced for free.

Second T3: Perfectly white, shows white in noonday sunlight. Very easy to pocket since it is round and slim. Remember the T/X series have no anti-roll device, I used a zip-tie on mine.

First and Second L2: White when compared to all my other lights but slightly blue compared to sunlight. Of the four different L2s I have owned the hotspot has varied wildly; from smaller than the M6 to larger than the reflector hotspot of the T3. Also, the clickie sucks; the best bet for me is to click the light on and then lock out the tailcap and then just turn the darn thing to activate the light. Feels very sturdy and solid.

Scorpion: Bluest of the bunch but appeared white when by itself. Didn't every really click with me.

M6 3 Watt: Blue-Green when compared to others and sunlight. Ever so slightly blue by itself. Tint gave me a headache.

p.s. Newgraham.com has the L2, and T3 for decent prices. I order from them mainly because ground shipping takes one day for some reason. I have used highmarketgoods and they were excellent.

and here's a pic for size. I'd go with the M6 is size were the main issue, it is smaller, thinner and lighter than all the other lights. (if you want I can do some beamshots for the L2 and T3/X03.)

L2, X2, T2, T3, XO3, 3Watt M6, X3+X2+P90, X3, Coffe Cup.

lgiths.jpg

not2bright

Enlightened
cazador said:
Let me know if I'm imposing here, but I'd like to join adirondackdestroyer here on this thread. I've been looking at all the above lights myself for much the same reasons. Is it possible for one of you guys that has some of these lights to post a picture of them side by side? Or even with one or more of these lights next to something else common, like a Stinger, G2, or the like? I know, there are pics of most of them next to a mini mag @ FlashlightReviews.com, but believe it or not, I don't have one. :huh:
I need this light for my duty belt as a back up to my Stinger, so size is a concern. Thanks in advance, if I'm buttin' in, let me know.

cazador, I hope mark2 doesn't mind my plug for his review, but he has done an excellent job reviewing the PL L2. He has it photographed next to the 2390 and a SF.

http://photonforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/658102481/m/651108804

The 2390 is about .25" shorter than the PL L2. IMO the 2390 needs to be .25" longer so the LOTC would work without exposing the o-ring seal. If size is a major concern, look at the $99 EDC B42. Small size and to the eye just slightly less output than either they PL L2 or 2390. Take in to consideration the EDC's four levels of light that fit any need, from maximum brightness to 500+ hours of run time. The HDS EDC is roughly half the length of the PL L2.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright said:
I believe it all depends on the Luxeon lottery. My PL L2 throws the same as my 2390. Don't get me wrong, my 2390 is a great light, but my PL L2 for $67 is a FAR better instrument. To the eye, same output, throw, spill, and tint. The PL L2 gets you double o-rings, glass lens, nicer HA finish, gold plated springs, and a better functioning Lock Out Tail Cap. Additionally in my opinion the PL L2 has much better shock isolation if it were too be mounted on a firearm. I think from the design the PentagonLights are designed to take the abuse of firearm weapon mounts and the Pelican just aren't designed for that. If you fully disassemble both you will see what I mean.

Once again I am not slamming the 2390. However if you saw both in person, tested both in the dark, then took both apart and examined them closely the PentagonLight is the better of the two (even if the cost were the same). Then consider that the Penty costs about 20 cr123's less than the 2390, it is the better choice. I have used both for several months and now my 2390 is safely tucked away in it's case and the Penty still gets daily use and generates a smile everytime I switch it on.

If I were looking to spend $99 on a light I would buy a HDS EDC B42 from OpticsHQ. Much smaller than either the PL L2 or 2390, four levels of light, excellent beam, perfect finish, AR lens, single cell 123.

It definately doesnt have better finish... at least not better that the one I own. I own one with one of the best finishes I have seen on a light. I havent yet seen someone say their penty is brighter than the PM6, but I have heard someone say that PM6 is brighter, so...??? Now, I just saw those pics, and that L2 is BIG! Alot bigger than I thought. And I hear the clicky sucks too. So it all depends on your needs: whether you want reliability, throw, and good finish on the PM6, or Machining, good finish, larger spot with similar throw, and a larger but cheaper L2.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
not2bright said:
cazador, I hope mark2 doesn't mind my plug for his review, but he has done an excellent job reviewing the PL L2. He has it photographed next to the 2390 and a SF.

http://photonforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/658102481/m/651108804

The 2390 is about .25" shorter than the PL L2. IMO the 2390 needs to be .25" longer so the LOTC would work without exposing the o-ring seal. If size is a major concern, look at the $99 EDC B42. Small size and to the eye just slightly less output than either they PL L2 or 2390. Take in to consideration the EDC's four levels of light that fit any need, from maximum brightness to 500+ hours of run time. The HDS EDC is roughly half the length of the PL L2.

What??? Mine doesnt expose the 0-ring in LOTC position. Maybe the spring is too long on yours.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS just doesnt have throw... it might rank 35 on quickbeams reviews at most.

-David

cazador

Newly Enlightened
spoonrobot said:
*Keep in mind the following is just my opinion based on experience with the lights.

I have owned all the lights mentioned thus far and after carrying each for a few weeks I sold my 3 Watt Pelican, sold my scorpion, took apart my L2 to mod it with a brighter emitter and carry the T3 everyday.

I find that the current generation of LuxI/III lights (40-52 lumens) are just not effective enough at anything other than very short throw when coupled with a reflector. I really prefer an optic for anything other than a walking light. The throw from a reflector may be good on paper but I just find it lacking in real life.

Side Note: The head of the L2 is sealed with some amazingly effective thread locker so the lens falling out should not be an issue unless you make it one.

My Experience with tints and stuff

First T3: Slightly slightly purple but brighter than T3 #2. Died from impact on a concrete floor from a height of 27 feet bezel first, Replaced for free.

Second T3: Perfectly white, shows white in noonday sunlight. Very easy to pocket since it is round and slim. Remember the T/X series have no anti-roll device, I used a zip-tie on mine.

First and Second L2: White when compared to all my other lights but slightly blue compared to sunlight. Of the four different L2s I have owned the hotspot has varied wildly; from smaller than the M6 to larger than the reflector hotspot of the T3. Also, the clickie sucks; the best bet for me is to click the light on and then lock out the tailcap and then just turn the darn thing to activate the light. Feels very sturdy and solid.

Scorpion: Bluest of the bunch but appeared white when by itself. Didn't every really click with me.

M6 3 Watt: Blue-Green when compared to others and sunlight. Ever so slightly blue by itself. Tint gave me a headache.

p.s. Newgraham.com has the L2, and T3 for decent prices. I order from them mainly because ground shipping takes one day for some reason. I have used highmarketgoods and they were excellent.

and here's a pic for size. I'd go with the M6 is size were the main issue, it is smaller, thinner and lighter than all the other lights. (if you want I can do some beamshots for the L2 and T3/X03.)

L2, X2, T2, T3, XO3, 3Watt M6, X3+X2+P90, X3, Coffe Cup.

lgiths.jpg

The pic helps a lot, thanks, It looks like the T3 and L2 are probably too big.
Hmmmmmm... :thinking: