Just got my Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon, black body, from brightguy

L.E.D.

Enlightened
NICE! Insane throw, good wide spillbeam, and nicely engineered, with the platinum catalyst pellets, unbrella valve for letting out pressure from within the light, nice flat regulation, and mostly-metal lamp assembly. Like many others, I too am worried about driving the Luxeon that hard inside plastic. Light body is said to be composed of a "Polymer Engineering" resin (I've heard of a new plastic that conducts heat almost as well if not as well as metal), and flashlightreviews.com states that the LED or lamp assembly don't get anywhere near the maximum recommended operating temperature... Overall I'm very very pleased with this light. Thoughts, anyone?

thezman

Enlightened
I wouldn't worry too much about the heat. The reflector assy is aluminum and the cap that holds the star in the relector is also aluminum. This should be enough to draw the heat away from the emitter, and I don't think the "plastic" body is going to melt.

I kinda like my SL PP 4AA Lux I, but the beam is a bit too tight for my tastes.
Some modifications may be in order.
thinking.gif

The emitter in my SL PP was a QXOH bin, it's now an R bin.
grinser2.gif

Disassembly was difficult, almost to the point of destruction, but it's back together and working fine.

jezzyp

Enlightened
This light for the money is a belter. Fantastic thrower with decent runtime. I've had a good play with mine and heat on lithiums has not been a problem

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well Now. . .That's great L.E.D.! Congrats on your newly acquired SL.4dbA.ProPo.Lux! I really like mine—though it's in hi-viz safety yellow.

Enjoy!

Blazer

Enlightened
Was watching "To Serve and Protect" (Canada's version of COPS) and two officers were approaching a house in dusk conditions, one had a SL Pro-Poly 4AA in yellow, clearly could see what it was. His partner had what looked like a 2D Mag, and guess which one worked better...

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of getting one of these, but then I heard that the beam has rings... uh :(

-David

CLHC

Flashaholic
Not the one I got. . .Nice circular smoothness from hotspot to spill. No rings at all! Bright and white, that's all. . .

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're going to have to take your chances on what you might get. If you're not happy with it, contact Streamlight's repair department (not customer service.) They're aware of some of the quality control problems that they have with the stuff that is being produced in China, are sympathetic, and have no qualms about having you send them in for repair/replacement if it doesn't meet your expectations (of course, there is the presumption that your expections are sane and reasonable). You may, however encounter a typical customer service song and dance on your way to the repair department and may have to insist on speaking to the repair department.

cheapo said:
I was thinking of getting one of these, but then I heard that the beam has rings... uh :(

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have a PM6 3W now, so SL is no longer needed for throw.

-David

CLHC

Flashaholic
I don't have a digital camera. . .yet. The one on my cellular can't shoot for nothing! Seems to me only on macro mode?

"Ringers" lighting are produced by the ones I gave away such as LED Lenser, River Rock(s) 0.5W and a few others. Oh! That Brinkmann Spotlight! Oh well. . .

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
No rings on my two !

Simply an unbelievably bright hot spot, more like a well driven Lux lll, and great, uniform side spill.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
thezman said:
I kinda like my SL PP 4AA Lux I, but the beam is a bit too tight for my tastes.
Some modifications may be in order. .

too bright? BAH! theres never a flashlight thats too bright :laughing:

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I'm def getting this and I am hoping that cheapo heard wrong, lol. I'm in need of a good affordable thrower.

thezman

Enlightened
pr5owner said:
too bright? BAH! theres never a flashlight thats too bright :laughing:

Please re-read my post. :whistle:

It's too TIGHT, not too bright. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one with and one without. I've called Streamlight and they are more than willing to correct and replace any abnormalities with the lights.

JohnK said:
No rings on my two !

Simply an unbelievably bright hot spot, more like a well driven Lux lll, and great, uniform side spill.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I heard somewhere that it has rings, but maybe I was wrongly informed. This Streamlight actually has a metal reflector as apposed to the TL-2 2nd gen. GOOD JOB STREAMLIGht... they are learning. Well, I wouldnt expect the beam to compare to the PM6 lights anyhow, but with that runtime, that lux, and that price... it might be the best bang for the buck light yet :)

David

L.E.D.

Enlightened
CHC
Thanks much :) I was thinking of getting the yellow version but the black ones were on sale and it looks pretty decent.

Cheapo
Sorry, can't post any pics as I don't have access to a digital camera.

I'm very pleased with this light so far! The clickie switch is still operating flawlessly. *crosses fingers*

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a black one with rings, well actually just one very tight spot and two rings (one bright, one spill). Still quite usable, though one of these days I really have to get that round tuit and send it back to Streamlight to get it replaced.

cheapo said:
Well, I heard somewhere that it has rings,