tough decision, l2,l4 , or gladius

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
i am having a tough time deciding between an l4 an l2 or a gladius. i work a prison yard third watch 1 to9. i currently carry a stinger in a drop leg pouch that also contains an mk9 pepper spray and an oc grenade. i carry an inova x5 for cell searches, writing and reading. not a whole lot of light at the old sq. i am looking for a small , bright led light for my belt. something i can get to quick out of a good holder. i seem to favor lights with good throw but i have that covered. i use a light for mostly signaling, getting the attention of inmates or staff, searching or i might even try the shine in the eyes trick. although pepper works well. also if i work 1st watch overtime i sometimes have to illuminate 250 cells on each of three counts so runtime is a consideration. being able to use rechargeable batteries would be a big plus. any thoughts on which lights would serve me best are greatly appreciated.

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I personally would go with the L4. Easily able to run rechargables and gives out some light....Really a great light. One of my all time favorites.

NextLight

Enlightened
Based on your application, I would choose the Gladius far before the others. Add a V70 carrier, and either a 168S or set of regulated 3.0V rechargeables (my choice) with charger, and you are in business.

That being said, I love my L4 for an up close and personal LED light. I added a Mc2E tailcap, and run on the batteries above (and many others) with great results. I am unaware of a good quick draw proper bezel-down belt carrier, for the (K)L4 head, but I am still looking.

Do a search and read all the comments on CPF, and then try to get a chance to handle all three lights. Personal preference matters a lot and as always, YMMV!

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
nextlight thanks, i didnt know how the gladius would work with rechargeables. ive heard the l4 works well with them. is there a site that tells how these lights run with them? ill probably end up with both and my wife will end up with a drawer full of nice flashlights while i am playing with the latest and greatest.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Surefire L2 and a Night-Ops Gladius. I have never used an L4 so keep that in mind.

I would think that the Gladius would be a good light for your situation. Low on an L2 would give you plenty of runtime but might be too dim for your sort of work.

magic79

Enlightened
Like Zespectre, I own a Gladius and a SureFire L2, but not an L4.

Unlike Zespectre :whistle: I would recommend the L2 for your application.

The L2, unlike most 'tactical' lights I've used, has a broader beam. More important, it has two brightness levels. Most of your work, I think, could be done with the low brightness level. But, you always have instant access to the 100 Lumen bright setting by just pressing harder on the tailcap.

The Gladius is a great light. However, changing brightness levels is more difficult. To change, you hold down the switch and step the brightness higher or lower. This can be a time consuming task if you just want low or high. On the other hand, the non-mechanical switching in the Gladius is far superior to any mechanical switch, and the strobe could be useful for visually incapacitating someone. That didn't seem to be your intended application though.

Like everyone else, my 2 cents worth.

cy

Flashaholic
currently have got L4 and Gladius (available for sale), sold L2 because I was getting too many lights.

all three are excellent lights! you will need a two stage cap with L4. whereas Gladius and L2 has multi-stages ready to go.

I have not run 3v R123's yet, but reports back are encouraging.

would tend to think Gladius would be the best choice, due to strobe's dis-orienting action. excellent tactical operation with gloves too. main drawback is rechargeable support using 3v R123 is too new to have much feedback.

L2 and L4 has a five watt luxeon and will put out way more light than Gladius.

NextLight

Enlightened
arnold ziffle said:
...gladius ...SNIP ... is there a site that tells how these lights run with them? ...

A number of users have commented on CPF about using a Pila 168S or 17670, and the "double blink" low bat warning that occurs. Try a search.

AFAIK, I am the only one reporting here on 3.0V regulated RCR123As in the Gladius. I do however have experience with multiple (now 8) Gladius lights and many charge cycles on these, over a period of 4 months. I have done this extensively in my two personal Gladius, and those sold or loaned to others, without problems. Li-Ion users, just don't go sticking two ordinary 3.7-4.2V Li-Ions into a Gladius, or into the (4.4V cutoff) special charger for these 3.0V regulated Li-Ions, or you will let the magic smoke out.

magic79 said:
...Gladius...SNIP...changing brightness levels is more difficult.

A good quick Hi/Low Gladius technique for potentially confrontational situations is: Use the "Memory" Mode 3 on Channel 3. (Channel 3 is the dimmer-latch-on "setting") Then, one momentary press brings Gladius on to YOUR preferred saved low setting, with the side benefit of extended run time. Then, use the thumb tip of your light hand to rotate the switch clockwise two clicks. (which is all the way) If you need a sudden full bright light, a press and hold gets it instantly.

This is now second nature to me. The often involuntary result of a "startle reaction" (muscle contraction) generally does the needed button press (if you get in the habit of doing the easy clockwise switch rotation on the Gladius) with no concious thought on my part. This occurs with the two-stage Mc2E tailcap on my L4 too, though I find my guarded Mc2E switches a bit less predictable than my Gladius'.

Good Hunting,

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd say L4 or L2 until Night-Ops fixes that tailcap problem. (is it already fixed?) From what I read, changing batteries is a little fiddly and the tailcap is a serious weak point on the Gladius. Search around on CPF about it.

Lexus

Enlightened
L2/L4 emit a broad flood-beam, good for lighting up rooms. Both have a 5w luxeon and produce more overall light than the 3w luxeon of the Gladius.

The Gladius, though producing less overall light, reaches further as it has a smaller light source coupled with a smooth reflector = more throw.

L2/L4 and the Gladius are totally different animals. For cell searches I'd use a L2 or L4, for the "shine into eyes trick" I'd prefer the Gladius since for signaling it's strobe is a good "attention getter" too.

Tom made some excellent beamshots of a L4, Gladius, Inova X5 and other lights. Maybe those pics will help you more on your decision.
You can find the post here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97555

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think an L4 would be a good choice. It will probably illuminate an entire cell all at once. The L2, also, but I'm not sure about how it takes rechargeables. The L4 works perfectly with Pila 168S (or whatever the new ones are called) or protected 17670.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hey Chevro,

Could you elucidate on what major problems the Gladius has? I'm a Keen Gladius and Surefire fan but I'm not aware of ''Major Problems'' with the Gladius?

Kind regards

Doug

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I know of somebody who was using the Gladius in a Marine training environment and had the light or tailcap fail. The has been a couple of Gladius issues. I am not sure of anything being major, but in a Marine training environment, to have a light fail, is major.

Luna

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
The Gladius has major problems, I wouldnt buy one for half price, and the L2 has ****-poor regulation

It is funny but I completely disagree with both of these statements. I haven't a clue what the 'major' problem is with the Gladius. And if you look at kjs runtime plot of the l2 with a fan on it (more realistic test) you will see the L2 reg isn't anythin like seen on quickbeam's plot. The L2 works like you expect it to, not like the plot so don't base your judgement on it.

Luna

Enlightened
*Bryan* said:
I know of somebody who was using the Gladius in a Marine training environment and had the light or tailcap fail. The has been a couple of Gladius issues. I am not sure of anything being major, but in a Marine training environment, to have a light fail, is major.

Failures will occur with all devices (surefires included _my u2 and even a simple ole 6R_)so an n=1 really means nothing.

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all your input. i contacted surefire and they were out of stock on the l4s. i wanted a new toy so i bought an l1. its a nice little light but it doesnt really fit into the work needs. i like it a lot and i will find a use for it. the inova x5 is perfect for cell searches because those are up close and personel ie looking under beds, toilets and through laundry and papers. plus the runtime will take me through 8 hours of searching after an incident. i also bought a kl3 for my 6z and ill see how that works when it arrives. i need a light that will light up an inmate at 50 yards or so. i sometimes need to pick him out of a crowd of up to 300 on the yard. the leds that i have tried work well if he is looking my direction, but if he is facing away i need to light him up as if he were on stage. his buddies will let him know he needs to see me. magchargers work well but with 10 pounds already on my belt i want something smaller and lighter. im thinking digilight 9 volt rechargeable thats the size of a two cell. id probably lose the stinger and go to an m6 if i knew of a way to use rechargeables easily. one overtime shift will net me enough for an m6 but i i dont want to do another to pay for batteries. anyway, thanks again for all of your help. this is getting addicting.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm assuming when you state "L2, L4," you're refering to SureFire right?—Go for the SureFire straight away. . .