Spec driven S-bin Lux1 vs underdriven U-bin lux3

Amonra

Enlightened
An S-bin Lux1 driven to spec would deliver approx 60Lum/Watt according to specs. but what would be the efficiency of a U-bin Lux3 driven at 350mA ?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would depend on where in their respective flux bins each LED lies, but when McGizmo compared an SX1J with a UWOK in his possession, the UWOK was slightly brighter at 350 mA drive.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that the Lumens/Watt rating also depends on the voltage bin of the emitter.

Underdriving the U bin will also drop its Vf (at the operating current) by about a bin.

Paul

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to feel like McGizmo's pimp as often as I'm referencing this chart, but be sure to check this
out.

VERY informative chart.

Amonra

Enlightened
cratz2: thanks for the link. but it seems that McGizmo's S bin Lux1 is not really an S bin as at 350mA it is drawing 1.155 W and giving 51 Lumens i.e. 44 Lumens @ 1W = R bin. i am therefore guessing that a real S bin Lux 1 would outperform a Q bin Lux 3

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amonra said:
cratz2: thanks for the link. but it seems that McGizmo's S bin Lux1 is not really an S bin as at 350mA it is drawing 1.155 W and giving 51 Lumens i.e. 44 Lumens @ 1W = R bin. i am therefore guessing that a real S bin Lux 1 would outperform a Q bin Lux 3

I don't think I'm following what you are saying... how is his S-bin not really an S-bin? McGizmo is a highly respected member of CPF and the flaghlight industry just in case you are questioning that.

And I've never seen a Q-bin Lux III... I thought they started at S-bin.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amonra: There is no thing as a Luxoeon 1W. There is Luxeon, LuxeonV, and LuxeonIII.

A Luxeon is actually 1.25watts on average.

Amonra

Enlightened
cratz2: in no way am i questioning mcgizmo's credibility. i just calculated that it was doing approx 44LUM/Watt and made a small mistake thinking that a Lux1 was actually a 1W LED. but as isaachayes pointed out a Lux1 is actually about 1.25W.

I meant U-bin Lux3 not Q-bin.

Im sorry, i guess i was tired when i wrote this

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... what exactly are you looking for? The most effecient LED that is a certain brightness? Either way, with realistic expectations (which I know NO CPF members really have) an R-bin or T-bin should make for many happy customers and the S-bins driven at spec or a U-bin driven somewhere over 400ma should also fill many roles.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you'll need U-bins underdriven for that. U-bins will have a lower Vf since they are binned at 700ma vs 350ma for Sbin luxeon1's.
example:
Lux1-Vf ~= Lux3-Vf
J ~= K
H ~= J
etc...
And the lower the Vf the more efficient the led is. So the best approach would be Lux3, U--H. And under drive them for even more efficeicncy....

Last edited: