My modded bike light to be featured...

Arkayne

Enlightened
Remember my Planet Bike light mod I did?

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103518

I shot an email to the company explaining what I did and linked them to this site and guess what? My light will be featured on their new website, soon to be published! That's not all! One of the reps will be sending me some free lights! SHAAAWIIIING! m m m mod time!

Kudos to the folks at http://www.planetbike.com

I'll spill the beans, I'm currently working on a LuxV bike light using an Apple iSight. Maybe I'll get a free Apple computer if they like it? lol :laughing:

ixus_123

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations :)

Sounds like a pretty decent company? What are you going to do with the lights you get get? Make a luxeon rear?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice work!!

Any idea what the cost of the bits ended up being? There's some sort of multiplier that can be used to determine the MSRP. Probably at least a factor of 5, I'd guess.

The only thing I'd suggest as an improvement is to move to exhaust duct to the bottom, to reduce the chance of rain getting in. This isn't practical for your prototype, but might be possible if the plastic housing is redesigned.

again, a very nice job! My Lux dynamo headlight is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of looking good.

Steve K.

Arkayne

Enlightened
2 Batteryspace RCR123A's $25.99 (Package deal with 4 batts and charger)
T bin Luxeon III Star $14.95
1000mA BuckPuck $19.95
Luxeon Lens Holder $.40
15 Degree Lens $2.10
Slide switch $.75
Charging Plug $.75
Total ~$65

If rain was a factor I would have designed it differently and maybe put the vent in the back or underneath. But, since I live in San Diego and it rains once in a blue moon, I can get away with this design. I wanted the vent up top to take advantage of the natural convection because the Lux III at 1000mA gets so hot!

Dynamo headlight? Neat! Are you going to drive it via the wheel or have a hand crank somewhere?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
my dynamo is Schmidt hub dynamo. It's a beautiful thing! Shiny aluminum on the outside, and copper and German engineering on the inside. Almost no drag, and provides power as long as you are moving.

details at:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt.asp

It's a bit pricey, tho. About $200. Probably only practical if you bike commute.

The light uses a 5W Luxeon, as it's very well matched to the electical characteristics of the Schmidt dynamo. Just rectify the power, and feed it into the Luxeon. Add a reflector from an old Union headlight, mount the Luxeon on a suitable heatsink, and mount the stuff on the bike. Piece of cake!

For bike lights, optics is a key feature. Getting the light put down on the pavement in a useful pattern, without wasting light by shining it up in the sky, is important. The German dynamo lights, like the Lumotec or BiSy tend to be the best.

In general, it's been interesting to watch the development of led bike lights. As the wattage increases, proper heatsinking is more critical. Cateye's Double Shot and Triple Shot use a fairly expensive housing for that purpose. I wonder if anyone can produce a 3W Luxeon bike light for under $50 or so.

just rambling and rambling....

Steve K.

Arkayne

Enlightened
Oh wow, that's a nice hub. Damn you! Now I have all of these ideas and I want one now!

If they had a 20mm axle hub then I'd be more inclined to get one. Still, there is so much potential for lighting with that hub, I'll have to ask the old-lady for an early birthday gift. :)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you make it wanna buy and mod something from them too.

and you didn't get just stickers...you get lights!!! for more modding. and maybe they might take your design and make one... then you will be rich i guess...

Last edited: