Any word on Rayzorbeam/lite?

dandruff

Enlightened
I was following the original thread which got closed. it amazed me how some people could get so worked up about rayzorbeam being a scam.

the bottomline: they didnt take a single cent from anyone. scam? must be a lousy one then.

its been some time now, has mr ted bear got the samples for review yet?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Ted Bear mentioned that he did a formal review of just the Rayzors but he has not posted it yet. I have been waiting for it.

Curtis

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
To the guys that have been following the Rayzorbeam thread , although it has been a long and bumpy experiance, we are here to confirm our continual RB/RL R&D and other lighting products development.
Just an indication that the product is being updated with every hicup that we have experianced up to date.
The 3 first batches of Ver1 have never failed up to date while in Operation at the Middle East , after the DHL fiasco we have made several changes but have not managed to complete the product and therefore Ver2 Prototypes where sent for the review (prior to December 25th 2005) , together with Ver1 ( that batch was prepared specifically for the shootout) unfortunatly we have used on the low voltage control board ,new potting material which prooved to contain partialy conductive substences that did not show the fault while undergoing our QC , but only after that the catalizator cured the passive agent totaly.
And it became more apparent under the heat generated from the illuminator.
However Mr. Ted Bear will be receiving updated versions with added features for a review towards the end of this month, when the next shootout takes place , or prior to the Shot show.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff, Thanks for posting the review.

RayzorBeam, Thanks to you and Rhino90 for sticking it out with us and keeping us in the loop with what is going on. Hope the next batch works out some of the kinks. Good to find the problems now rather than when you have hundreds of these units in the field and several unhappy customers. Work out the kinks and bring back a better, brighter, longer running and stronger final product.

Curtis

Last edited:

That_Guy

Enlightened
Rayzorbeam,
Good to hear that the major problems such as not starting have a simple fix. I assume this will also fix the inconsistent runtime issue? It would be great if you could ensure that all of the lights have a runtime of 200 mins like the v.2 Rayzorbeam initially did. If you use premium cells like the 18650 LG 2400mAh or the new LG 2600mAh it shouldn't be much of a problem.

May I suggest that you incorporate a way of manually overriding the 3 min boost limit, such as holding down the boost button for 1 sec? It would also be a good idea to use 4100K bulbs as standard for the next review units so that they are better able to compete with the other 35W units when running on low mode.

Mr. Ted Bear,
Could you please give us some information on the 50W Rayzorbeam, Rayzorlite ACC, and the Rayzorbeam Zoom? Does the "IR" button on the v.1 Rayzorbeam do anything?

Rhino90

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to say we are sticking it out to the end. We don't plan on doing things to the half way mark, and intend to continue and improve until we have the illuminator we intended.

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
Mr.Ted bear , Kenshiro, thanks a lot for the valuable work .Cue, Lips, That Guy, Dynacolt, and everyone else thanks for the comments and the moral support.
Just as Mr. Ted Bear mentioned many changes are done as I am busy writing that post,
1. we have returned to our original stage as far as the Boost feature is concerned-meaning it will be upon demand ,push to Activate , release to Deactivate, this feature is controlled by our written software.
2. Runtime will probably exceed the 200 min
3. Charger, we will have standard Charger + (-) 5 hrs charge time with an option to fire up the units while charging from the mains.
4. Quick release mechanism for RL battery.
5. Both RL/RB batt status indicator.
6. Optional fast charger under development and will be available at a later stage, not for next coming shootout as we have only commenced work yesterday after a long new year break.
7. The IR Push button on Ver1 will be implemented at a later stage on other models.
8. As to Dynacolt question regarding the Flash mode, unfortunately we can not elaborate on that forum how it is done, the only tip that I can give you is, that the devices are software controlled, the lamp life span is reduced (not dramatically) and that feature was requested specifically for an application where the lamp life span becomes irrelevant –emergency cases.
9. IR and other filters are all hinge mounted- Metal coatings or Dielectric pending the application.
10. RL battery eliminator – to operate directly from a car cigarette lighter socket or other 12VDC supply.

There are several other components under developments i.e Car Charger & other features which will be introduced at a later stage.

Last edited:

That_Guy

Enlightened
Since you're making the boost mode momentary, would it be possible for you to make the boost mode permanent on some units? I'd imagine that most CPF members would prefer this, and it shouldn't be too difficult to do if it is only a software change.

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
That_Guy said:
Since you're making the boost mode momentary, would it be possible for you to make the boost mode permanent on some units? I'd imagine that most CPF members would prefer this, and it shouldn't be too difficult to do if it is only a software change.
We could not do it for individual units ,only when there is a quantity request! from a production point of view it becomes very messy, as we write the software on each chip individualy.
The suggestion from Mr.Ted Bear was to make it momentary for the domestic market.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not respectfully disagree with Mr. Ted Bear more. :naughty:

It makes no sense to me whatsoever to have a momentary on that switch.

:nana:

That_Guy

Enlightened
The vast majority of CPFers in the group buy will likely want the boost mode to be permanent. I'm not sure if that's enough to be considered a quantity request. Perhaps you could start a poll?

XeVision

Banned
That_Guy said:
The vast majority of CPFers in the group buy will likely want the boost mode to be permanent. I'm not sure if that's enough to be considered a quantity request. Perhaps you could start a poll?

I don't believe that is Mr. Ted Bears position, that it would be on for a time limited period and cannot be dropped back until the timer runs out. However, I am sure Mr. Ted Bear will speak for himself on this issue.

I suspect the reason for the time limit on 50 watt is that the ballast or bulb cannot take continuous duration 50 watt operation, it gets too hot. The Auerswald "boost" ballast also has this issue. I suspect they may be using this ballast, copy of it or a similar design. These are all guesses on my part. They might also be using the Xenlight/Nucon ballast.

Last edited:

XeVision

Banned
Rayzorbeam said:
8. As to Dynacolt question regarding the Flash mode, unfortunately we can not elaborate on that forum how it is done, the only tip that I can give you is, that the devices are software controlled, the lamp life span is reduced (not dramatically) and that feature was requested specifically for an application where the lamp life span becomes irrelevant –emergency cases.

Can the flash mode be done immediately or must the bulb be warmed up first?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lips and That Guy

I think there's a lack of communication here...

The prototypes I received had a 3 minute timer on "high" mode. "Momentary" is not the correct word... I told the factory that the lights should have a "low" and "high" mode, and that "high" should not be on a timer.

Momentary suggests press (and holding the switch) for high. This is not what I suggested. The Rayzorlight and Rayzorbeam have a seccond switch to toggle between low and high.

Having a low mode allows longer runtimes (up to 200 minutes) at the 28/35 watt level. At 28/35 watts, the lights did not perform as well as the X990 or the Poarion, but still plenty of lumens. At the click of a switch, you have high, but the runtimes are cut in half (90 minutes).

Having low/high makes more sense to me, but what the heck... your needs aren't the same as mine.

XeVsion

The RL and RB can be run continiously at the 50watt level. In the original thread, there was a discussion about the boost mode. I don't know how, when or where, but the factory interpreted the discussion, and arrived at the 3 minute timer as a compromise. I don't unnderstand their logic.... what if I needed 2 minutes and 18 seconds.... what about 3 minutes and 49 seconds? Anyways, future RL andRB will have low and high modes...no timers.

Flash mode can be done instantaneously. The trick here is that the first flash did not appear to be weaker that subsequent flashes, so how they got around the 2-3 second warm up is the key. Actually, without photometric testing, I am sure the first flash was not as bright as subsequent flashes in a seriies as the bulb warmed up.... but the operative word here is "appears"

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
XeVision said:
I suspect the reason for the time limit on 50 watt is that the ballast or bulb cannot take continuous duration 50 watt operation, it gets too hot. The Auerswald "boost" ballast also has this issue.
XeVision said:
I suspect they may be using this ballast, copy of it or a similar design. These are all guesses on my part. They might also be using the Xenlight/Nucon ballast.
This has nothing to do with the Ballast nor the bulb-FYI our 50W unit employs the same identical ballast -if it helps you.
we do not have nor had a ballast issue at any time like the Auerswald of which you mentioned , in fact we have never seen it or tested it.
It is a slef designed in house made ballast based on Hybrid tech and is all surface mount, which in size is 40X40X12mm boxed and half the weight of the ballast in the Xeray.
in fact to satisfy the audience we will ship one to mr. Ted bear for photography at the next round.

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
XeVision said:
Can the flash mode be done immediately or must the bulb be warmed up first?

Instant every time no warm up , can the Auerswald do that too ?
By the way we do not follow the philosophy of using other companies designs,
It is designed in Australia Down Under by our Company . so its not Xenlight/Nucon/ Auerswald ballast.

Last edited:

XeVision

Banned
Rayzorbeam said:
It is a self designed in house made ballast based on Hybrid tech and is all surface mount, which in size is 40X40X12mm boxed and half the weight of the ballast in the Xeray.
in fact to satisfy the audience we will ship one to mr. Ted bear for photography at the next round.

To be that small you must have removed all of the output power control logic to another circuit (anolog or digital). With 12 mm thickness and 40 X 40 mm I believe it is impossible to make a 35 or 50 watt ballast this small unless you exclude the igniter circuit (remote) and the power control circuit (remote). You have indicated that it is about 500 Hz AC output not DC output. DC output also helps for a smaller ballast. Lets make sure we are counting everything.