Need major help with ROP battery selection!!!

Nightcrawler50

Newly Enlightened
OK guys..........I've searched this forum over and have not been able to come to a definite conclusion. In terms of batteries, what would give me the best combination of brightness and run-time for a ROP conversion in both a 3D and 4D?:huh2: I'm operating on a very limited budget and I have to make a choice between AA's and sub-C's. I see a lot of people are choosing the AA-D holders, but some are also using sub-C's, D's, and D's. Of course, all batteries will be Ni-MH.

Also, since I'm putting this together a piece at the time, I can't immediately purchase the Super Bulbs and aluminum reflector. Will my current XPR103 or KPR118 handle the AA's or sub-C's until I can upgrade the other components?:thinking:
I plan to ultimately upgrade to a sla 3854 or Big D 24W bulb. But I want to be able to purchase and use the appropriate batteries now that will really push these bulbs later on.

Can this be done?

I know these are very broad questions, but my resources are very limited and I have to narrow down my choices.....

Thanks for everyone's help and for contributing to such a great forum...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
IB3800
ib3800.gif

This is what I had www.cheapbatterypack.com make up for my 4D M@G used as a host driving the SLA 24w Lamp. Really don't know what your buget is but these cells are preformers and they will get you some descent runtimes. Cheapbatterypack will build you up a pack consisting of 6 cells and the service they provide is worth the miminal cost...

Dave

Nightcrawler50

Newly Enlightened
This is true, but Iwas under the impression that the 3854 bulb would melt the stock reflector and lens.....therefore requiring a glass lens and aluminum reflector......:huh2:

Also, is there a noticeable difference between a soldered 6-cell pack and 6 loose cells? I understand resistance is lowered, but isn't it negligible? I am really rough on my lights and I'm sort of afraid the abuse might break solder joints over time and cause problems......:mad:

Thanks for all the input thus far guys...

wtraymond

Enlightened
For the best runtime with a NiMH ROP, I agree with Dukester. The IB3800 or Elite 3600 sub-Cs from CheapBatteryPacks.com are going to give you full power and the longest runtime. They also now have IB4200s - the newest and best available. You'll need a 4D or 6C Maglite host for sub-Cs. You will get about one hour with the Pelican 3854 HOLA.

If you choose to build with a smaller host, you can use six CPB1650 NiMH batteries with a battery holder in an unmodified 2D Maglite. Modamag has 6AA battery holders available in the 'Group Buy' forum now ($18). Expect about 20 minutes with the Pelican HOLA in this configuration. The smaller host size is why people are using six AAs and a battery holder. If 4D or 6C size flashlight is not a problem for you, then you should definitely go with them - 20 minutes is not a long time.

There was a group buy in progress for high-drain 1/2 D NiMHs, but I'm not sure where it stands now. You could potentially get six 1/2 Ds in a 3D Mag, otherwise I don't see any configuration of batteries that would require a 3D host.

I definitely recommend a soldered stick from CBPs if you plan to use a 4D or 6C host. As long as you make a sleeve to fit the pack in the flashlight (the sub-Cs are narrower than a regular alkaline C) and the pack fits well, you'll never have a problem breaking the soldered joints. If you go with the six AAs in a 2D, you must use loose cells to fit in the battery adaptor.

A soldered stick of IB3800s will cost about $45 shipped from CBP. Six CBP1650AAs will cost (about $20 shipped) and a battery holder from Modamag will cost about $38 total.

You absolutely need a metal reflector and a UCL or borofloat lens for this mod. The stock plastic will begin to melt immediately when you turn it on. Modamag and FM both have metal reflectors available in the 'Group Buy' Forum now (about $25 each). FlashlightLens.com has UCLs and borofloat lenses available now (about $7 each - either will work - read the descriptions).

Nightcrawler50

Newly Enlightened
Great information thanks!!!

O.K............got my 4D covered, can I use a sub-c stick (maybe 4) in my 3D, or would I be better off using 6 AA's and an adapter............?

Again, I appreciate all the time taken to answer my newbie questions....:goodjob:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get away with the stock lens for short runtimes, couple of minutes maybe. Not recommended for long term usage but if you're just playing and give it time to rest, that's ok.

4 cells in a 3D will not supply enough power to drive the bulb at full output, it may be quite disappointing. The preferred 3D mod that makes the best use of space, capacity and brightness is the Mag85 mod (credit goes to Ginseng for coming up with this one), which is nine AA NiMH in 3toD holders with the WA1185 bulb. Same reflector and glass lens.