Magcharger corrosion - Help!

Sturluson

Enlightened
I've had a Magcharger for about two years. I use it infrequently. Every two months or so, I discharge the stock battery pack completely and recharge it.

Today I took off the tail cap and discovered a small amount of white corrosion residue on the bottom of the battery pack. It came right off, and the only damage I can see is a small area of discoloration on the tail cap spring.

I know this is probably a small thing, but the Magcharger is something I want to be able to count on in an emergency - that's why it's there.

Any ideas on how to prevent the corrosion? And is my discharge/recharge cycle a good idea or completely stupid?

Thanks!

turbodog

Flashaholic
You better quit killing the pack like that or you will KILL it permanently.

Charge every couple months, then leave it OFF the charger.

You should be fine after that.

Sturluson

Enlightened
Turbodog, I do leave it off the charger. It is never on the charger except when charging. Once charged for 16 hours, it's off. What I do is conscienciously discharge it (by leaving it on continuously) every couple of months, and then charge it. Bad idea?

I should create an avatar that says: "I AM AN HISTORIAN". Really, I have no technical expertise in illumination - I still think of electricity as some kind of magic...

turbodog

Flashaholic
Sturluson said:
Turbodog, I do leave it off the charger. It is never on the charger except when charging. Once charged for 16 hours, it's off. What I do is conscienciously discharge it (by leaving it on continuously) every couple of months, and then charge it. Bad idea?

I should create an avatar that says: "I AM AN HISTORIAN". Really, I have no technical expertise in illumination - I still think of electricity as some kind of magic...

When ANY multi-celled rechargeable pack is discharged too far, especially to zero, you run a very real risk of the weaker cells discharging first. After that, they are reverse charged by the cells which are still good.

Reverse charging cells=very bad for them.

Reverse charging kills cells, as does over charging (even on a trickle charger).

Latest posts