12 volt/ 4 battery lights

ugrey

Enlightened
I bought a SF G2 and a SF E2e and I thought I was set. Then I bought a SL TL-3 and A SF Z3 and I thought that was all the power I would need. Then I got a P91 for the Z3. I like 200 lumens but 20 minutes is very short. So, now I am looking at 12 volt/4 battery lights.I am interested in:

1. Wolf Eyes M90X, 195 lumens for 45 minutes at Tactical Flashlight (Canada) for $63.
2. Wolf Eyes Rattle Snake M100X, same light as above but with a 3 inch Turbohead for $88 at Tactical Flashlight.
3. New style Wolf Eyes E4AX, 200 lumens 50 minutes for $80 at Pacific Tactical.
4. Digilight T12, 227 Lumens for 80 minutes, for $80 at Black Rifles, with or without their 1.7 inch Turbo head for $37 more.

Who can tell me any thing about these lights? Who wants to spend some hard earned money? How about a shoot out? As always thanks for any replies.

ugrey

Enlightened
In a word: PRICE.

200 lumens for $80 to $120 or a SF M4 at 225 lumens for $330. No contest. I like my Surefires. They are the best flashlights made, but, I dont see that big a difference in performance. I am also one of many who don't like Surefires full MSRP policy. I have been able to buy all my Surefires new, at a discount after much looking around. Also, I have thought for a while now, that other manufacturers are catching up to SF. Al, thanks for sharing your expertise, with us here on this board. I have learned a lot from you.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many before you who have been drawn to 12V lamps, you are about to discover an unhappy fact: They cost $7 to $9 an hour to operate on primary cells...and they can't be run on protected rechargeable cells unless the cells are large (150S/168S), in which case the lamp may hot flash.

One CPFer runs his Digilight 12V lamp on three unprotected AW RCR123A cells. I know of no CPFer who is currently running a a 12V lamp assembly on primaries or protected rechargeables.

You might want to look at using two 168A cells to power a potted Carley 1499 in a 2 or 3-cell Mag, or a bipin'd 1499 in a custom Stinger. You'll get about 350 bulb lumens. Modder FiveMega is going to start a second run of his 2x168A Stinger upgrade that will use this bulb. A limited-edition halogen version of the 1499s (potted and bipin, frosted and clear) is now being sold in the Group Buys forum.

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
And then there is HID. The Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon gives 450 lumens for 180 to 240 minutes. $190 at www.brightguy.com . The downside is 15 seconds to power up, and a delay in between "ons."

Just something to think about if you are after a constant-on type beam.

If you are just looking for a momentary beam, 20 minutes of runtime will last a looooong time in conjunction with another light. Just punch the high-power light for those few things that really need it.

Scott

ugrey

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a bedside/bump in the night light. The P91 is great, but 20 minutes is a bit short and with a 1.25 inch sized bezel it is a wall of light. I was thinking of a larger bezel (1.7 to 3 inch)for more focus. The four lights I listed seemed like a heck of a deal for the price. Flashlight Reviews has a brand new review on the new Wolf Eyes 9 volt flashlight. The beam is adjustable.
Paul, thanks for all your postings on 12 volt lights. I have read and re-read all of them. You have been very helpful.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I know of no CPFer who is currently running a a 12V lamp assembly on primaries or protected rechargeables.
I know of several besides me. 3 Pila GL4's 2 M4's all can use the 12volt lamps
both with primaries and Pila protected cells.
Topper

mdocod

Flashaholic
When I was interested in a 12V xenon setup, I took Pauls advice and went with a "custom-arranged" setup.... it's not 12V, but it will be close to 200 lumens, run time will be about an hour, and it will be rechargable so I won't burn through piles of 123s..

Tradedigit 12V tactical
G&P G90 High-Pressure lamp
2xAW protected 17670s
DSD charger..

i'm still waiting for it all to get here... so i can't comment on it personally..

The total cost is under $100 for this setup..

i'll "report" my experience when the gear arrives....

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ugrey said:
Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a bedside/bump in the night light. The P91 is great, but 20 minutes is a bit short and with a 1.25 inch sized bezel it is a wall of light. I was thinking of a larger bezel (1.7 to 3 inch)for more focus. The four lights I listed seemed like a heck of a deal for the price. Flashlight Reviews has a brand new review on the new Wolf Eyes 9 volt flashlight. The beam is adjustable.
Paul, thanks for all your postings on 12 volt lights. I have read and re-read all of them. You have been very helpful.

Other than wanting a larger head for a tighter focus, I was going to suggest a battery extender for your Z3. Less than a new light ($20), and would let you run a 12v lamp. But you'd still need a KTx and those are expensive.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Topper said:
I know of several besides me. 3 Pila GL4's 2 M4's all can use the 12volt lamps both with primaries and Pila protected cells.
Topper
I meant running a 12V lamp with three lithium-ions to get the full rated output.

Still, I'm surprised to hear that several of you run the 12V Pila on primary cells. How much runtime per month is on primaries?

Topper

Flashaholic*
Well, it "was" 2 to 3 hours on one. I keep 1 in the truck and 1 is just in case.
After I got a M6-R from js I use the M6 more than the rest when I need alot of light. As for 3 Li-ions I do run a SF M4 with 2 A19's and 3 Pila 168s cells;
very bright however it is a bit long I do not mind. The 123 size rechargeables
I mostly use in 1 cell lights (ARC 4+ factory second ) and a couple of the Peak
lights. I did try the P91 in a 2 cell light but the fun wore off that for me.
Topper

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not up on the M4. Are you saying it's a 12V light, or can use a special 12V lamp? And it won't blow with three 168S cells? If so, I'm surprised the 3x168 mod isn't more popular.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Yes the SureFire M4 runs the MN60 and MN61 Lamp; 12volt lamps. Just slap on 2 A19's and 3 Pila 168s fits and runs.I wish I had a dollar for every person that has tried it. I am not one to drop names so they can post if they want. I have gotten many PM's about this, you would likely recognize some that post a lot. There have been some that I guess would be called the Silent Majority as they post rarely but got the PM thing down real good and some choose E-mail. I hope this draws a few out but if not thats ok, I have no problem if they wish to remain silent.
Topper

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 RCR123's @ 4.2v and one dummy cell insta-flashed my MN60 (12v lola). What is the
off the charger voltage for your cells, Topper?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
jdriller said:
3 RCR123's @ 4.2v and one dummy cell insta-flashed my MN60 (12v lola). What is the
I'd guess that the MN61 is more resistant to instaflash; its higher current would cause more voltage sag, protecting it against overvoltage.

Topper

Flashaholic*
jdriller said:

O-Tay, best I can figure is 4.2 I am using a El-cheapo from wally world and not sure I even know how to use it right. I did try a cr123a (Panasonic) and got a 3.2 reading so that is that. I do use 3 Pila 168s NOT 3 RCR123 so that might make a difference, I use the MN61 but I do have 3 MN60 lamps just waiting to get used or blown up. As they are costly to replace I need to think about this but I admit the inferred challenge does make me wonder what if??
I will get back to you guys on this when I work my nerve up to risk a very costly lamp.
Topper

Topper

Flashaholic*
Oh I remember something about resistance, not sure what that means but I put 2 A19's on the M4 to fit 3 168s, that might also be a factor but not sure.
I am not an expert on this stuff just a do it and see kind of guy.
Topper

Last edited:

rkonieska

Newly Enlightened
Hey Topper, what is the runtime on that setup..........I might have to do that to become reintroduced to my M4...........currently mounted on my M-4 rifle.

Guilt free lumens..........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Thanx
Ron

Topper

Flashaholic*
O-Tay, I did this twice to make sure it would be the same. 1 SF M4
2 A19's and 3 Pila 168s ran for 6 minutes give or take a few seconds.
So that is either a LONG time or "just 6 lousy minutes". It all depends on how you use it
In real life; for my use it works great ( I never ever needed to run it that long) I used it to,
Let folks in the dark know I see them. The few real times it was used they always asked me to please turn it off their face. "OK how's that?" I give them at least 1 second then I hit them with a G2Z and we wait for the police. Best not to shoot folks when you can light um up. So we get to the MN60 Lamp, will it blow?? We shall see as soon as the Pila's get charged. I am nervous you guys and gals nervous? I paid big bucks for this lamp I am nervous. I intend to do 1 run test on the MN60 it will run or it will blow and
That is that, not planning on blowing 2 to see if it's the same results. The pain and suffering is almost more than I can stand!!! MN60 is on no instaflash good so far.
6 minutes past still good to go. You folks have a clue as to holding a light and watching a clock?? It sucks that is why you do not get many run times. The head is warm body still ok at 15 minutes. I am getting bored why do I do this stuff for folks I don't even know??
Shut down at 16 minutes. Light did get warm but not what I would call hot. Hot is subjective so take my thoughts on this however you wish. I hope that helps
Topper