bulb choices for Mag

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a 1D mag and 4AA adapter (ModaMag). I intend to run it on 3 AA Lithiums (using the spare AA space for a Li protection circuit as all my AAs are unprotected), with the option of being able to drop to 3/4 alkalines in an emergency (although I haven't worked out how to overcome the limitations with the protection circuit etc).

What are the best options for bulbs to use? I want to stick with standard, easy off the shelf bulbs if possible (to reduce cost). I also don't want to replace the reflector/lens/switch/socket at the moment, I just want a light that shines brighter than it should (I really want to be able to out shine my friends full size 6D mag).

Also how hard can you drive the 6D mag bulbs? If I run it on 3 lithiums it'll be running at 33% above spec. Are there higher voltage esay to find bulbs that will run ok as the lithiums discharge to 9v?

Does anyone have any data on current draw for the bulbs also? I'd like to be able to estimate run time. Preferably I want to get 1hr+ from my 700mAh Li-ions.

Lots of questions I know. Sorry. I've tried to search but every extra post I read convinces me more and more that I want to spend $100+ (that I really don't have) on a big bright hotwire...

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
I have found a bulb at Sears that is really bright at 9V. It is Xenon for the Sears 6V re-chargeable Ultra-Beam spotlight. The part number is 3493204 (marked 6V .750ma) and is about $6 for package of two. That is higher than buying KPR112 bulbs, but I find these Sears bulbs work well with 9V overdrive and are brighter than KPR112. I am not sure why, but I have not found many on CPF that have used this bulb. One member on another thread said he will be testing this bulb soon. For me it has been great in the 2c 3X123 (9V) setup, but could also be good for 6D. I think it works even better when you frost the bulb. Did not answer all questions, but hope this helps.

Sorry, but when I read your post closer I think you need a bulb for well over 9V. Maybe the bulb I mentioned will not help.

Last edited:

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

I was looking for a bulb that will run on 3 lithiums - 12.75v hot off the charger, 9v when discharged. Basically I wanted to know if I could run a bulb over this voltage range and get reasonable amount of white light.

If the bulb you suggested is rated for 6v but works well at 9v I might try and run it on 2 lithiums instead.

I think I'll have to resort to running a voltage regulator and sticking to a bulb running at a constant 8-9v or so...

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
OK, please post the results if you run this (Sears) bulb on two re-charge cells. I have interest in this setup as well. Thanks.

wtraymond

Enlightened
There is a thread in the 'Group Buy' forum about a regulated hotwire setup. That's what you need.

You should be able to buy just the Kiu high-temp socket/regulator combo for about $60 without buying the whole flashlight. You can then use that in your 1D and choose any bulb between 9v and 12v.

The regulator uses the overhead voltage to keep output constant and also protects your batteries from overdischarge. You should even be able to use four li-ion cells as the regulator is part of the socket/switch assembly.

Welcome to CPF. Be sure to post your mod when you're finished so we can all be envious.