Will 6.5 volts burn out my g2 incandescant bulb?

juin21

Newly Enlightened
Ok, Ok I'm looking for a cheapo rechargeable battery solution for my surefire g2 without having to replace the lamp. I was thinking about these....

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/delkin-rcr-123a-rechargeable-charger.htm

Each battery supposedly comes off the charger at 3.15-3.25 volts...any ideas if these would work? I searched but couldn't find anything dealing with rechargeable batteries for the g2, except that they don't seem to exist. :mecry:

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Oh by the way, how do i remove the "unenlightend" next to my name? :thinking:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The voltage is probably OK. However, I would be most concerned about this:
"Note: Not recommended for use in Surefire or Steamlight brand flashlights."
This is included in the writeup on these batteries. I think I would accept this advice.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate when they say that but don't explain why. In this case, I'd be fairly sure it's that the higher voltage might hotflash the bulb. But twice I've written to makers of LED lights to ask why they advised against using 1.7V lithium AAs in their lights: Would it destroy the LED in short order or simply reduce bulb life from, say, 10,000 hours to 1,000? They never replied.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
To get rid of the unenlightnened, you have to make at least 20 posts IIRC. Then vaguely remember another "upgrade" in status until a graduation of sorts, certainly a milestone: at the 100th post mark you become a "FLASHAHOLIC"

BTW, sincere welcome to CPF, my friend! Browse around alot, dont be afraid to contribute (post), it may seem scary at first. Most of all, have a lot of fun and hang on to your wallet in BST. Visit the LED Museum website for a definition of the acronyms (like EDC) used around here. At least early on, NOT knowing all the lingo (like LED bin codes) will just protect you from buying stuff you think you NEED - the more you know the lingo the more you will DESIRE those silly letter and number combos!

Welcome to our little enthusiasts playground!

Enjoy!

:)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggestion: Get a 3.6V G&P G5R lamp assembly from Emilion or a 3.7V lamp assembly from Wolf Eyes and use it with a Wolf Eyes or Pila 168B/168S cell.

juin21

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. :) I know of most of the other options...most likly just going to get the bugout 3 watt drop in and some protected rechargeable batteries. I was hoping for a simpler and cheaper solution, where I just could get buy a rechargeable battery set.

:sssh: Another Solution I had was to just get the GL2 led tailcap, which could extend battery time.

https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=66&osCsid=d5f81b09155cc64a4bbd3e6e355d8cbd

Does anyone here know if this works with the surefire G2 with standard batteries and runtimes??? :shrug:

juin21

Newly Enlightened
Ohh......p60 bulb....THANK YOU! Decisions, Decisions Decisions....I'm liking the BOG 3 Watt drop in as well.....doh......:sweat:

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I hate when they say that but don't explain why.

Actually, they do say why if you click on the link.

Rechargeable CR123A Battery Tip:
Even though the rechargeable CR123A batteries can be used in most devices, cameras, flashlights, and other equipment which use standard CR123A batteries, we do not recommend their use in SUREFIRE or STREAMLINE brand flashlights. Bulb damage is possible due to the fact that rechargeable CR123A batteries have a little higher voltage than regular CR123A batteries. The bulbs of these flashlights are designed for regular CR123A batteries and usually will not last very long when used with the CR123A rechargeable battery. Use at your own risk.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
The Led has the benefit of not burning out.

The Incandecant P60, or G&P G60 ( cheeper) Has the benifit of better throw and outout. with full colour, as opposed to reduced colour recognition of LED.

I'd go with the Incandesant.

Latest posts