am i retarded?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i am always so confused i read post here and ulsay dont understand em i heard my grandma call me retarded before i am always confused plese done lie i wanna know i need to know

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie,
These days "retarded" is used mostly by people who want to be nasty. I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm using the term retarded in the technical/medical sense which is that "mental retardation" just means some parts of your thinking ability haven't developed as far or as fast as is usual for your "peer group".

I don't know how old you are (what your "peer group" is) but judging from most of your writing you are probably a little retarded (or maybe just untrained?), at least in grammer and typing skills. Don't feel too badly about it, I suffer from the mathmatical equivilant of dyslexia (called Dyscalculia).

On the other hand I really can't recall you ever being a jerk. My mother had 30 years of working for the association of retarded childern and adults so I've had plenty of exposure to all levels of retardation. I worked for a number of years as a police officer and had plenty of exposure to all levels of jerks.

I'd rather hang with the retarded EVERY TIME!

underdust

Newly Enlightened
Don't worry, Rags. There are a lot of posts here that I don't understand either. The best you can do is try to pick up a little knowledge from those that are willing to share it freely. Fortunately, we have a great community where people are almost always willing to share and spread their knowledge.

Think of it this way... Everyone has some sort of specialty, or a subject that they know a great deal about. I'm sure there are a lot of subjects that you know very well, that would confuse many of us.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to work with retarded and autistic kids and I think if you have built a computer and/or modified it and can find your own way on to the internet and can read and post at all, then you are not retarded.

Different people have different learning difficulties though. My father in law's brother was recently found to have been suffering a lifetime of some form on learning disability. People had ridiculed him off and on and he had literally lost close to 100 jobs.

Also, there are different kinds of intelligence. Some folks can read a book and retain nearly everything on the first read while others find this very difficult. Some folks can take a mechanical device apart such as a gun and put it back together with no manual while others will never figure out how to set the time on their VCR. One type of person is no smarter or dumber than the other, just different.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
No Raggie33, you are not retarded, you seem very intelligent at times and I know you know your way around a computer, so that would make you more of an "Idiot Savant". Like "Rain Man". That would make you "CPF Man" and that is a very good thing!!:goodjob:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone has a place in the world and a reason to be here. Sometimes it's difficult to understand your place and purpose, but it's for real.

BTW, I suffer from the dreaded disease, CRS.
(Can't Remember S____)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know very little of your situation, Raggie, but I'd guess you're not retarded. I assume from your posts that you have disabilities in some/many areas. Who doesn't? Some are just worse than others.

I'll report in as having very poor math skills and can't concentrate on things I don't have strong interest in.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I understand almost nothing going on in the flashlight mod, battery electronic, and machining forums.

I only understand half of what's going on in Lasers...

IMO raggie, if you're smart enough to worry that you might be retarded, you probably aren't retarded.

You know how to build and customize PC's. I've seen you post things about technical specs on various CPU's, RAM, motherboards, and video cards etc. and That's a very complex subject.

You also know things about LINUX and other operating systems.

I used to know all that stuff, but that was back in the 386 and 486 days. Once Pentiums and PCI came out, I fell by the wayside. So you are light-years ahead of me. I look at PC specs and don't know what half of it means any more. I'd probably have to study for 6 months to know what all the "good stuff" is again.

You've said in the past that you take meds, and that you have anxiety issues with people and situations. So I think you're very good with logical work and technology, but have trouble with language, people, and emotions.

joecandlepower

Newly Enlightened
No, I don't think you're retarded at all.

As for being confused, that would include me too as there are some highly technical posts on this board. It goes with the territory.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
No Raggie, I don't think you're retarded. I think that you have particular life challenges (who doesn't?) but you know your way around computers and Os'es, and the average "retarded" person (in the medical, not pejorative sense) could not accomplish this.

Everyone has their own unique skills, and everyone also has their own unique weaknesses. Some people have a great deal of knowledge consolidated into a very narrow area of expertise - a rocket scientist who always leaves the house with mismatched socks, for instance. It's a part of the human experience, and last I checked, we're all only human.

Last edited:

Zackerty

Enlightened
raggie...
I have a cousin, dyslexic, and what the education system called, a "slow learner".
He battled to read, and even think clearly, sometimes.
He spent long hours doing the hard yards, and eventually at age 25, became a pro diver, and is now manager, and travels the world, making big buckaroos...BTW, he is now 41.

He made his obstacles...stepping stones...

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you're retarded either...you say some very insightful and intelligent things -- more often than some others. :) (Myself included...heh)

JM-99

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wonder why my grandma always says that ,shehas dementia but there is always some trust to what she says

Navck

Enlightened
I've been called a "retard" by adults with lower IQs than me (I have somewhere in the 137 range... Hmmm).
But the Aspergers Syndrome gives them a chance to throw whatever they want at me.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
i wonder why my grandma always says that ,shehas dementia but there is always some trust to what she says

Raggie, she might not know the correct term for your situation. Her generation didn't have easy access to the DSM or other reference materials.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
BIGIRON said:
Everyone has a place in the world and a reason to be here. Sometimes it's difficult to understand your place and purpose, but it's for real.

BTW, I suffer from the dreaded disease, CRS.
(Can't Remember S____)
Amen!
And I suffer from CRS also. :huh2: