firestarting on Mythbusters

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the latest episode they tried various methods for starting fires, I think under the premise that your airplane crashed on a deserted island.

It was impressive that they started a fire using the polished bottom of a soft drink can as a parabolic reflector. It was also impressive that they used a magnifying lens made out of ice to start a fire, but good luck finding ice on a deserted island. I was surprised that they couldn't use gunpowder and a primer to do that, but maybe they didn't try enough.

However the most interesting method to me was using some steel wool and a couple of batteries. Actually what they did was to pull the bulb out of a minimag, stick a couple of short wires in the holes, and use them to pass current through a piece of steel wool and ignite it. A little steel wool might be good to carry as a firestarter.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
bjn70 said:
Actually what they did was to pull the bulb out of a minimag, stick a couple of short wires in the holes, and use them to pass current through a piece of steel wool and ignite it. A little steel wool might be good to carry as a firestarter.

Wow...so a minimag DOES have a use after all!!! :crackup:

JM-99

Size15's

Flashaholic
Using the flashlight's batteries to light a fire or keeping them to power the flashlight is likely to be an important decision since the batteries may not have enough juice to light a fire twice and once the batteries are dead you've got a dead flashlight. I would suggest it better to attempt other methods of fire starting before resorting to the battery & steel wool method.
Instead of wool you can get pretty compact striking rods that can be made to generate sparks and which can be used many, many times.

In my limited experience of lighting fires in the outdoors - even with matches lighting a fire is all about preparation. Spending the time to prepare the fire 'pit' or site and collect/prepare the fuel (for example: wood) is worth it. Especially if you want the fire to burn for a long time, or use it for cooking etc.

A good technique I saw firsthand was rubbing a wooden 'stick' in a groove in a split log with some tinder/shavings at the end. Surprisingly effective compared to the 'bowed' rotating stick method which took longer to prepare and get lit.

Al

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Strike Force and it works great...can carry "Wet Fire" tinder in the case...compact...LOTS of sparks. Works very well.

The USAF Magnesium firestarter works really well too...and smaller...

JM-99

Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always found the ANM-14 thermite grenade
excellent for starting fires.... Works for even wet wood.

However, it is not a good for lighting cigarettes.

:poof:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember hearing about making an ice lens in "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. Great outdoor survival movie, especially for any knife enthusiast.

I was impressed with the soda can method; I'd never heard that one before. And it seems like no matter how far and remote you go in this world, you can always find an empty soda or beer can lying around.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
My high school teacher said that when he was in college on a backpacking trip he made a bet that he could make fire with ice. So he made a lens and started a fire!

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly why I think everyone should carry a mini Bic. Cheap, light, small, and usefull. Regardless if you smoke or not.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
And they only cost $10
C:devil:
ANM14

Silviron said:
I've always found the ANM-14 thermite grenade
excellent for starting fires.... Works for even wet wood.

However, it is not a good for lighting cigarettes.

:poof:

Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have actually made rocket, or firework igniters out of steal wool. It doesnt take very much current to start it burning enough to light a fuse :D

With a 9v battery you could do it a lot before it ran down, probably get dozens of startups from a minimag powersupply.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys- I got kind of excited when I heard about the steel wool idea, but if you have the planning to carry steel wool then you could just carry a lighter instead.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
bjn70 said:
Sorry guys- I got kind of excited when I heard about the steel wool idea, but if you have the planning to carry steel wool then you could just carry a lighter instead.

yup, easiest, most effective method of being sure you could start a fire would be to carry a lighter.

steel wool generally very unlikely to find when needed. Who carries it around with them? Also, IME, generally only the #0000 works best for this. #000 is okay only. Also, you generally have to fizz away a whole pad of it to get enough substantial heat to be guaranteed of ignition, and that would leave you with very few times to do the deed.

Polishing down a coke can without good polishing agents would be a PITA.

Either carry a lighter, or carry around a nice plastic or glass magnifying glass lens. As long as the sun is up, they work great, and they don't rust or have to worry about being wet. It would be hard to scratch one up past the point of being able to light a fire. I know this by experience. Also, you could have great fun burning up ants while waiting for the rescue ship to come.

Also, the 'magnifying mirrors' also known as vanity mirrors work great for making fires. They are the two sided mirrors where one side is normal but the other makes your face look big. Get the right range, and you'll light 'em up. Subject to breakage, but more likely to be encountered than steel wool. I used to set up 'sun traps' with these, where at a certain time of the day the mirrors would put a murderous heat onto something, usually an ant mound or a wasp nest.

ADD: also, instead of carrying steel wool, just carry a bunch of cotton balls. THey can be used for many things, but if you fluff them up a bit and spark them they make excellent firestarters. They are also very light to carry.

redcar

Enlightened
Steel wool can be easily lit by sparks, if you have the striking rods size15's was talking about or an old lighter from raggie33. A small votif candle is perfect if you have a lighter. Just build your fire, then insert the small lit candle. Plenty of time to dry wet tender then set it alight.

Also a small piece of tubing with a small metal tube at one end is nice to have in your kit. Put the non-metal end in your mouth then you can direct your breath close and compact to where it will do the most good. Steel wool or charred cloth or anything alight will go like mad with just the right amount of blowing.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a lot of backpacking and back-country travel and starting a campfire by various methods became something of a hobby. This, of course, ignores the obvious items like matches and zippo lighters and so forth.

Successfully tried...
-Aluminum can and chocolate bar
-Bow drill (took FOREVER!)
-Fire plow
-Flint and Steel (I'm not very good at this one though)
-Magnesium block/flint and knife (hard on the knife though)
-Ice (as a lens)
-Water in a plastic bag (as a lens)
-Battery and steel wool
-Charcloth and a magnifying glass
-Charcloth, flint and steel

Unsuccessful....
-Just rubbing two sticks together
-Hand drill (my hands gave out long before the wood did)

Other handy items
-Take a cardboard egg crate, fill each space about 1/2 full of dryer lint and then pour melted wax on it. When you get to the campsite rip off one of the "cups" and ignite it to give your fire a jumpstart.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I picked up a Blast Match, and carry some cotton balls that have been soaked with petroleum jelly. The treated cotton balls go into a zip loc bag and work well soaking wet. The petroleum jelly burns long enough to ignite wet twigs.

Tom