Radio Shack Fast Charger - AA

Tremendo

Enlightened

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tremendo,

You may be loosing run time if you discharge your cells all the way. I noticed that it is rated for 1800 mAh cells, and shuts off after a time period. I don't see any "intelligent" charge termination, so would conclude that it is a timed charger.

I believe it is better to have a charger that offers independent charging for each cell. Your charger operates on pairs of cells.

Tom

Tremendo

Enlightened
SilverFox said:
I noticed that it is rated for 1800 mAh cells, and shuts off after a time period. I don't see any "intelligent" charge termination, so would conclude that it is a timed charger.
Thanks for the response Tom. I saw that 1800 in several places, but everywhere I looked it was referring to the included batteries. And for charge time, it was never specific nor said it was timed, but that "When charging is complete, the unit turns off automatically to prevent overcharging". Also, it can use Ni-Cads or NiMh, but doesn't have a switch or anything, so it seems like the charger must be able to adjust itself accordingly (the other slow radio shack charger has a switch for Ni-cad or NiMh). And it tells you if the battery is defective OR alkaline. I think it's gotta be able to read something from the batteries. I've taken it on trip everywhere, since it handles 110 & 220 volts. It's the perfect charger for me, IF it lets the batteries live up to their potential.

Tom (Tremendo)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tom,

It sure sounds like a charger that charges at a set rate for a certain amount of time, then shuts off...

You may want to try a test to check this out, however, it could do some overcharging damage to your cells...

You could charge your cells up, put them in a flashlight and turn it on for 5 minutes, put the cell back into the charger and charge them up again. If your cells are being under charged, they should be fully charged at the end of the second charge cycle. Then put the cells back into your flashlight and run for another 5 minutes. Put the cells back into the charger and monitor the temperature of the cells, and the time the charger is charging. If the cells get hot and the charger doesn't quickly shut off, it is a timed charger.

This is an excellent travel charger and would be a good replacement for what you have.

Tom

Tremendo

Enlightened
Tom, you gave me an idea. The light goes from red to green when done. This morning I got 2 2100mA AA's fully charged. I just put them on the charger again at 12:08pm. If their charge is "read" they shouldn't charge for the 1-2 hours, it should be much less. I'll keep an eye on it to see how long it takes before it "says" they are charged.

Tom

Tremendo

Enlightened
Got it! It's NOT on a timer, or at least has protection and "reads" the battery.

Recently fully charged batteries:
12:08pm - I put the batteries in
1:40pm - I forgot and checked, batteries were cold and unit was off
1:41pm - I put same batteries in again
1:53pm - It turned off by itself. Batteries were warm/hot.