Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: TnC HA-Natural Lithium-Lux V's (LIMITED)

Default Re: TnC HA-Natural Lithium-Lux V's (LIMITED)

A turbo head is possible!!! A company that is open to suggestions is a company I like. The impressive Lith-Lux Turbo Head would have to have a metal reflector. Nothing less would give the light justice.

Here is a picture of a MaxLite prototype head as it got graphically put on the Lith-Lux. In the MaxLite is an Aleph 1, 27mm reflector. I threw on some anti-roll slots. How would a miniature Hyper-Lux Turbo Head with an Aleph 1 reflector look on a Lith-Lux?

I thought about the standard size Hyper-Lux head…nah…way too big.

Here is a picture to compare the Lith-Lux light to. The lights are the Lith-Lux, Surefire L2, L4 and a Surefire Turbo Head modded with an XX1S emitter running 1000mA. The Turbo Head mod picture had too much contrast between the spot and spill beam; in real life you could see the oranges in the spot beam. Instead you see a white spot where there should be bright oranges and leaves. Throw out the SF Turbo Head shot because it is supernatural and well ahead of the Lux V normal curve. With the SFTH Tower mod thrown out you get an idea what normal Lux V light look like. Who said a Lux V couldn't have a spot beam with no donut in the beam?

The brightness and color tints are correct. Last summer I set and saved the camera color bias using a photo gray card. You can see the Lith-Lux XY0T beam tint is slightly blue compared to the other lights. The greenish-blue leaves on the guava tree on the left of the picture show the blue tint very well. If I didn’t have the other lights to compare to then I would have said the Lith-Lux light beam was white.

The small Lithium-Lux V holds its own with the Lux V lights.

Great reviews and shots guys. Thanks for your efforts!
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.. This is the war room!!

Flashaholic*

Still wondering if anybody checked the forward voltage of their X bin.

Thanks,
    Ken

Chris,

I like the idea of a turbo head option!
    It could be used on my TnC KeyLux AA 350 mA too, and the body-mount LE would make swapping heads simple and inexpensive.
    Please, please!

EXACTLY, Zepp!

A turbo head on a Lithium-Lux/Key-Lux is not an electrical connection but a simple optional accessory. The Lith-Lux/Key-Lux light engine is built into the body of the light. A turbo head would be a simple twist on accessory.

Other lights have light engines built in the head. For those lights a turbo head means another expensive light engine and head. Plus the lights have less reliable and weaker electrical connection through the threads of the light body and head. For a standard light a turbo head light engine is a permanent accessory. The Lith-Lux/Key-Lux turbo head would be a simple screw on optional accessory.

Zepp, you have some good thoughts moving in your ‘gray matter.’

Chris- any more thoughts to making a turbo head for the Lithium Lux/Key-Lux? You have my vote for a Turbo Head.

Question Re: TnC HA-Natural Lithium-Lux V's (LIMITED)

Am I the only one still waiting to receive this light?

Flashaholic*

Have you checked the tracking number? I am sure you have. I am sure the light will have to arrive by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PKT
    Am I the only one still waiting to receive this light?

Flashaholic*

A Turbo head is a great option. All I need is a good 5-watt reflector. Let me know who to contact to purcase about 50 reflectors so I could make the new head around the reflector.

Chris

What is the runtime on these lights using the various battery options? Roughly an hour on the 14500 and about 20-30mins on the CR2?

Ok now I'm concerned....Chris I never received a tracking#.
    When payment was made shipping was 2 weeks out. Please advise.
    Phil

Flashaholic*

PKT. Was yours an HA-Natural or a colored one? The colored ones are going out today. I still haven't recieved the Bezels back but I will send out the lights and then send out the new bezels later.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PKT
    Ok now I'm concerned....Chris I never received a tracking#.
    When payment was made shipping was 2 weeks out. Please advise.
    Phil

Thumbs up Re: TnC HA-Natural Lithium-Lux V's (LIMITED)

Good deal
    Mine was a colored one (HA-Blue) #1800. Thanks Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by TnC_Products
    PKT. Was yours an HA-Natural or a colored one? The colored ones are going out today. I still haven't recieved the Bezels back but I will send out the lights and then send out the new bezels later.

Chris

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kenster
    Still wondering if anybody checked the forward voltage of their X bin.

Thanks,
    Ken

Had been curious myself, checked across the emitter.....

Fresh 14500 @ 903ma...

And 2 fresh Titanium CR2's @ 901ma....

Cruising at part throttle 'eh?
    |Nuwai|GLP's|Aleph 3|PR-T w/E2e|Costco HID's|ARC LSH-S| Mr Bulk|Lumaray FL12|PocketMateW|MagHID|Mag85|AWR Nano|Amilite|SFIII Mc38-V|TnC Lithium Lux V XYOS 03/10|Fenix Trio|SuperNova|Illuminator|PGL-III-A's| Gatlight SS V2|Nitrous McLuxIII PD|USL|AN/VSS-3a|FM Ni Plt'd C Mag|FM 3.5" Mag Head|

Flashaholic*

Chris,

Still waiting for Lux V.. PM Sent.

Does a 17500 protected or non protected cell fit in the 2xCR2 tube?

thanks

Flashaholic*

I had spent the weekend getting to know the LL V around the house, doing the routine wall searches and comparisons, along with the back yard and side of the house after dark. I was pleased , but not awestruck at all.

Well, back to the grind today, had my new #3 on my belt. After an hour or so I had occasion to pull it out and light up our bolt bins in the back of the shop to find what I needed.

OK, now I'm a believer, now I'm awestruck,

I couldn't believe my casual use at home had masked the true utility of this Lithium Lux V. I'm used to my usual poking my various lights into each bin and aiming to find my parts, no need to poke this light into each bin, much less aim, just anywhere close will do just fine. Stay back a few feet, and scan the bins without moving a muscle only the eyes. I realized how effortless my eyes would pan across the bins not needing the hotspot to catch up. A satisfied grin settled on my face. Man I am glad I brought it to work today!

No more wall hunting for me, Bolt Bin Beamshots Baby!

I feel a little humbled having underestimated this Lithium Lux V to begin with, evidence of my limited experience, but learning fast...

he he, one more thing, a big Hell Ya for a turbohead !!

Kudo's to Chris....

|Nuwai|GLP's|Aleph 3|PR-T w/E2e|Costco HID's|ARC LSH-S| Mr Bulk|Lumaray FL12|PocketMateW|MagHID|Mag85|AWR Nano|Amilite|SFIII Mc38-V|TnC Lithium Lux V XYOS 03/10|Fenix Trio|SuperNova|Illuminator|PGL-III-A's| Gatlight SS V2|Nitrous McLuxIII PD|USL|AN/VSS-3a|FM Ni Plt'd C Mag|FM 3.5" Mag Head|

Quote Originally Posted by ddaadd
    Had been curious myself, checked across the emitter.....

Fresh 14500 @ 903ma...

And 2 fresh Titanium CR2's @ 901ma....

Cruising at part throttle 'eh?

At the emitter? Isn't that these are going to need between 6.39 - 6.87 to light up? It seems like 3.84v is what would be going to the converter. I could be just not understanding, though.

Just wanted to mention that I put mine on eBay today.

As I compared it to my brightest LED's again today and out in the test area of my front lawn, I am amazed at how effortlessly it puts out the lumens. It makes mt TWOK NG1000 LE look pale yellow.

She's a beaut' this XYOT

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus1
    Does a 17500 protected or non protected cell fit in the 2xCR2 tube?

thanks
    I don't have any 17xxx to try, however I read the CR2 tube at .605"+ ID.
    The CR2's literally "float" in and out with apx .007" clearance.

Hope that answers Bogus1

I'd really love to own your light cromagnet , however I'm still waiting for someone to answer my questions as to runtimes using the different battery configurations. Anyone know real numbers (not some cap/cur calculations)?

I'll do some runtime tests right now with a stopwatch.

Thanks for bidding mike!

Cheers

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman
    At the emitter? Isn't that these are going to need between 6.39 - 6.87 to light up? It seems like 3.84v is what would be going to the converter. I could be just not understanding, though.
    I believe Chris has designed these to be underdriven to avoid excessive heat build-up. If the voltage you mention were read at the emitter, it would be running at 5w spec. I recall a thread mentioning the sweet spot for efficiency
    on the 5w at less than spec. I did a 8 minute or so run on the CR2's and much more it would be uncomfortable to hold.

So.... yea...There's some untapped lumens still under the hood....

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by CroMAGnet
    I'll do some runtime tests right now with a stopwatch.
    Hey CroMagnet, are you able to take a couple temp readings along the way?

Would be interesting as well....

he he, one more thing, a big Hell Ya for a turbohead !!

Kudo's to Chris....

Ditto.

I've been playing around with various heads I have, unfortunately none actually fit the fine threads of the Li Lux V. But just by positioning the light inside a larger head you can see the benefit of a larger turbo reflector.

I tried it in a Longbow PR head (another body-mount LE), and the McR27 reflector in that really tightened and brightened the hotspot. Something even a bit larger would be nice with more impact.

I'm not a reflector expert, but I would love to see this light mated to something big, like a 38 mm a la Aleph 3, and SF III Mc38. That's about as large as I think it could be before it became unbalanced.

Also Chris, while we're wishing, how about reissuing a clicky tail, or making a new one? I could mod 10 Krolls for 2-stage operation if there was a tail that could accept a Kroll. It wouldn't have to be as fancy as the original, just a tail with sufficient stock to thread the Kroll would do for me.
    Last edited by LED Zeppelin; 03-08-2006 at 01:04 AM. Reason: sp

Hey CroMagnet, are you able to take a couple temp readings along the way?

Would be interesting as well....
    The dang light doesn't get very hot. I'm going to start the CR2 runtime right now.

Sorry but I don't have a temp doowah. Maybe a digital BBQ steak prong thermometer will do...

Can I wish once more?

I'd love a 1 X RCR2 tube when runtime isn't a concern.

I only have one TNC light. I think these are very nice practical lights but mine is certianly not one of these. Nice Job.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

Naughty Re: TnC HA-Natural Lithium-Lux V's (LIMITED)

<oops, posted this in the wrong thread>
    Well I just did a non technical runtime test of the CR2 setup. I turned it on and hit the stopwatch. I held it the whole time to ensure good heatsinking. The light looked like it stayed regulated like a rock for the first 30 - 35 minutes! Very nice. I check the regulation with my LUX meter. It 'visualy' looks like it dropped to 50% at about the 40 minute mark and is still going with plenty of light but not the hugh amount like the first 30 minutes.

It was it's hotest at about the 25 minute mark at which time it felt like a pocket warmer. Totaly fine to hold onto, especialy on a cool evening like tonight.

I just did an informal ceiling bounce test to compare output to a Fenix L1P with Lithium Primary. At the 48 minute mark they look equal.

At the 52 minute mark I was looking for a light that was a bit lower for the ceiling bounce comparison and it was just like my McLux TK 1W and then in the 53rd minute the CR2's spent their last electrode.

So 53 minutes of usable light is what I got from my test using a pair of Duracell CR2 batteries that had 4 or 5 twenty-second bursts while showing some friends.

Thumbs up Re: TnC HA-Natural Lithium-Lux V's (LIMITED)

CroMAGnet,

Did you notice any significant brightness difference with the CR2 tube? I'm trying to figure if its worth trying to get the light engine "unstuck" from its current residence in the AA tube.

By the way, 9/10 checking in here... I wore out my compliment generating engine so I'm lacking with commentary about the light other than to say, simply amazing.

I have one big wish, well two actually and #1 is that is a big (turbo) head option as soon as could be had. For a Lux V reflector, the McR-27 would be a sweetheart, and while they dont currently stock 50 (about 37 at the moment), it is still a production piece so more could be had to order. When it comes to reflectors I'm VERY biased, the McR reflectors are nothing short of miracle workers in all the sizes I've tried in my custom lights, from 16,20,27,38, and 45mm they all produce the closest thing to perfection in a beam that I have yet seen. BTW, the stair step design you came up with, Chris, is a stroke of genius as well. I was stunned that such a small reflector could achieve such a smooth transitional center-to-edge beam with NO DONUT HOLE with a LuxV! The beam is Flood-O-Rama defined. Excellent for near field and mid range. If you can work magic like that then why not make a bigger version of the same parabola, similar style? I really want the turbo head to collimate some of the tremendous light energy from the LED and turn it into an intense far reaching spot.

Moving on to big wish #2, any chance of a 17670/2x CR123 battery tube? THAT would be the cat's meow for plenty of runtime. The threaded in light engine is kind of frustrating for me as I'm afraid of damaging the LE by moving it. Like others, mine is totally fused into the AA tube, its not budging regardless of how much force applied. I was using very small needle nose pliers that resemble split ring pliers, and there is plenty keeping the LE in place. I think the heat from run in and operation caused some change in the size of the metal just enough to act like some red Loctite was used. Any more suggestions of what technique to try? What I really wonder is why not have the LE as a seperate component that both the battery tube and head attach to? The 2x CR2 tube is so very similar to the AA tube, more bore room inside an a shorter spring, but otherwise almost identical. Its a bit of a PITA to have to unthread the LE just to switch battery types, but there must have been reasons for it to be this way. Havent tested the CR2 tube, and at the current rate dont think I can, but I measured 890mA at the tailcap from the single 14500 cell fresh off the charger. IIRC the converter is spec to supply 600mA to the LED. Being an S bin I know what the Vf range is likely to be, but I second the previous query, anybody actually measure it yet?

In all, this is one absolutely amazing light. Exquisite machining and finish and finally an X-bin to call my very own.... Thanks Chris for making these available to the rest of us CPFers (and me)!
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast