3.0v LiIon Battery Chargers: 4.4v vs DSD vs 4.2v

changsn

Newly Enlightened
Geez, I must have over 7 different battery chargers and now I've got the charger for the 3.2v RCR123 from e-lectronics.net (http://e-lectronics.net/catalog/volt-cr123a-batteries-charger-p-153.html). So I decided to do a little test to see if I could make do with just the Li Ion charger obtained from AW or the DSD (multi cell) charger.

The data (skimpy as it is) suggests that the normal Li Ion charger is not quite adequate. All the runtimes are less than that obtained from the 4.4v charger. On the other hand, the DSD charger did better than the recommended 4.4v charger. You should keep in mind that the manufacturer does not recommend this and in fact there may be somewhat more risk involved – the DSD charger has an open voltage of 5.5v and could possibly trip the overcharge circuit on the protected battery. Perhaps this is why it has better run times – the higher voltage pushes the maximum amount of juice into the battery.
  1. All three batteries were numbered. One set of batteries charged in 4.4v charger until light went green. Then placed in a Dorcy Super 1 Watt flashlight and run until they died. These batteries are protected both for over charge and over-discharge.
  2. Times recorded and then batteries charged in regular Li Ion charger til light went green. Again, put into the Dorcy until they die.
  3. Reverse process and charge in 4.4v charger and collect run times.
  4. Reverse process and charge in Li Ion charger and collect run times.
  5. Repeat process using the DSD universal charger.
4.4v Charger run times

50 min 46 min 54 min
56 min** 50 min** 55 min

DSD Universal charger

63 min 60 min 63 min
62 min 62 min 60 min

Li Ion protected cell Charger

37 min** 39 min* 25 min
42 min* 44 min*** 40 min*

*Left on charger for 2-3 hrs after green led lit.

**Left on charger for 1 hr after green led lit

***Left on charger 7 hr after green led lit

This was a pretty basic experiment. The batteries were not conditioned, but used as received.

Since the Dorcy Super 1 Watt draws about 610ma (see thread below), the batteries are somewhat over the rated 600mah capacity!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99485&page=3&pp=30&highlight=dorcy+super+watt

Please keep in mind that the 4.4v is probably the only recommended charger and the batteries are probably not warranted when recharged with the DSD. On the other hand, the DSD looks like it does a better job.

Sam

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone else confirm that it is ok to charge 3.0v 123s on a DSD charger? I may get some for my new Gladius and I'd hate to have to get another charger.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised at these results, since the DSD is usually called out here for UNDERcharging batteries.
Is it known how much variation there is between units with the DSD?

Mike abcd

Enlightened
I can't check it again since I hacked my DSD charger and turned it into a "dumb cradle" that I use with a smart LiOn charger. I'm pretty sure I remember it only being 4.2 V open circuit though.

If you're reading 5.5 V open circuit, it might be charging to above 4.2 V. Going over 4.2 V reduces cycle life on a "3.7 V LiOn" and gets dangerous over 4.3 V.

The fact you're seeing more run time on "3.0 V RCR123" batteries charged on your DSD than on the "4.4 V charger" seems to indicate a problem with your DSD charger.

Mike