Miners Headlamps

CaptainD

Newly Enlightened
With all the recent news latley about the mine tragedy in W. Va., I wondered what brand of healamps they use.I can't tell what brand they are by looking at the pictures.Does anyone know?. If they hold up in those conditions they would last the average person a lifetime.

Stelth

Newly Enlightened
mdocod said:
gets me wondering if miners have gone LED yet... or combo style xenon/led
Yes for open cut shafts including HID's vehicle headlight mounts.
Yes for LED's on miners helmets , in some Canadian and South African Mines.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt this type of work is a tough test for hand held and helmet worn lighting. I don't think adequate reliable light is a big issue. I assume that extra batteries are either carried by the miners or stashed somewhere down in the mine.

However, the best light is really of little help in finding someone in the case of an accident like we have seen recently.

There is existing technology that would be of great help that is generally not used. Small coded RF transmitters are integrated into the battery packs on the miner's helmets. Tag reading stations are located throughout the mine. The tag locations are constantly reported to the surface and computer logged. This provides real time location information on each person. In the event of a cave-in, fire or other accident, rescuers will know the last reported location of each missing person. In this type of situation, knowing where not to look is as important as knowing where to look. Time is precious.

The fact that this fairly simple and important technology is rarely used borders on criminal, IMO. Maybe these recent tragedies will force some new regulation. Since we all like to turn on our lights and heat our houses, we owe a debt to the miners and they should be given every safety system that is practical.

Mark

Stelth

Newly Enlightened
Flash_Gordon said:
No doubt this type of work is a tough test for hand held and helmet worn lighting. I don't think adequate reliable light is a big issue. I assume that extra batteries are either carried by the miners or stashed somewhere down in the mine.

However, the best light is really of little help in finding someone in the case of an accident like we have seen recently.

There is existing technology that would be of great help that is generally not used. Small coded RF transmitters are integrated into the battery packs on the miner's helmets. Tag reading stations are located throughout the mine. The tag locations are constantly reported to the surface and computer logged. This provides real time location information on each person. In the event of a cave-in, fire or other accident, rescuers will know the last reported location of each missing person. In this type of situation, knowing where not to look is as important as knowing where to look. Time is precious.

The fact that this fairly simple and important technology is rarely used borders on criminal, IMO. Maybe these recent tragedies will force some new regulation. Since we all like to turn on our lights and heat our houses, we owe a debt to the miners and they should be given every safety system that is practical.

Mark

Over the years multitude of technologies have been examined for a variety of applications , the issues related to underground work are a lot more complex due to the existence of in rock gas pockets .
The introduction of transmitters can produce resonance that can ignite a pocket of gas by an incidental spark on a metallic surface any ware under ground, just like a piece of tin foil in a Microwave .
The intrinsic safety code is very tight and there are current technologies under examination in various locations world wide, lighting is one method, thermal imaging systems are used as well.