1xAAA Compare - Arc-P AAA, Fenix L0P and Nuwai TM-310H

pc_light

Enlightened
Yet another personal review cum comparison of that Johnny come lately - the Fenix L0P.

This time comparing it to some of the other 1-AAA LED lights in my collection.

THE CONTENDERS (From right to left)
- CMG Sonic AAA
- Arc AAA (rev2.5 I think; aka "earlier version")
- Arc-P AAA (rev4, current version)
- Fenix L0P
- Nuwai 0.5W TM-310H

QUALIFYING ROUND ELIMINATIONS
- Arc AAA (earlier version) because it's frankly not generally longer available other than as re-sale and because there's plenty of old threads comparing it to the new AAA-P already,
- CMG Sonic, even more so because it's older and not generally available.

So it was a 3-way run-off after the preliminaries. All using freshly charged Sanyo 900mAH NiMH AAA batteries.

ROUND 1, AVAILABILITY (delivery times and ease of procurement)
  1. Nuwai TM-310H . . . (came in less than 1-week)
  2. Fenix L0P . . . . . . . (came is less than 2-weeks)
  3. Arc-P AAA . . . . . . .("gees, when did I order that")

ROUND 2, AFFORDABILITY (absolute cost, not necessarily reflective of value, which like beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
  1. Nuwai TM-310H . . . (about $10+; or get 4 for price of 1 of the others :green:
  2. Arc-P AAA . . . . . . (about $40 +)
  3. Fenix L0P . . . . . . . (about $45 +)

ROUND 3, POCKETABILITY (That's size and weight, after all that's the purpose of a AAA keychain/pocket light, to be small and unobtrusive.)
  1. Arc-P AAA . . . . . . (about as small as they get)
  2. Fenix L0P . . . . . . .(a few mm excess in the tail but ooh a reflector)
  3. Nuwai TM-310H . . .(I'm still trying to figure how to keychain)

ROUND 4, HANDLING (subjectively perceived by the customer, in this case me)
  1. Fenix L0P . . . . . . . (1-hand operation and tail stands; sleek fit and finish)
  2. Arc-P AAA . . . . . . (1-hand operation and built like a brick; rugged)
  3. Nuwai TM-310H . . . (momentary push on!; but don't drop it)

ROUND 5, DISTANCE (ability to help me see in the dark at about 15 feet, I didn't have a forest or caves handy so my room had to do. Also, for much more than 15 feet you probably need something else.)
  1. Fenix L0P . . . . . . . .(bright hotspot with bright spill)
  2. Nuwai TM-310H . . . (slightly less bright bluish hotspot, not much on spill)
  3. Arc-P AAA . . . . . . . (mild hotspot, but oh that spill!)
Nuwai . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fenix . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Arc
nuwaifenixarcpat15ftthrow9hz.jpg

(Same camera exposures, notice the differences in "ceiling bounce" light!)

ROUND 6, STAMINA (In this case on rechargeable NiMH's, results will vary with Alkalines (longer) and Lithium (~2X longer))
  1. Arc-P AAA . . . . . . .(It goes on, and on, and on; I stopped at 4-hrs, the Arc didn't)
  2. Nuwai TM-310H . . .(Respectable run time, better than 2-hrs)
  3. Fenix L0P . . . . . . . (1-hr, which is plenty for occasional casual use, but if camping, bring spare batteries, or better yet, bring the Arc.)

(I recommend Chevrofreak's L0P Runtime Charts for an excellent comparison of the other battery types.)

nuwaifenixarcbatterylife7dp.jpg
->> new Arc-P vs the old
arcr25freshvsarcr4after210min9.jpg

BONUS ROUND SCORES
  • Most likely to be there when you need it – Arc-P AAA
  • Most likely to get a WOW by non-CPF'ers – Fenix L0P
  • Most likely to be there with non-CPF'ers – Nuwai TM-310H

[highlight]AND THE WINNER IS …[/highlight]

All CPF'ers, :thumbsup: because now we're spoiled with even more choices! :nana: Sorry, if you were expecting a single winner but I belong to the "it depends on your need" school of thought. Besides, I went and done it the CPF way and got 'em all.

:caution: [Remember YMMV due to the Luxeon lottery, battery condition and all that jazz.]

pc_light

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
chimo said:
Great job and very well presented! :thanks:

Paul

Thanks Paul, it took a while to generate all those photos but I had fun. Plus it's no problems with rechargeables.

I also took the opportunity to play with the various vb-codes for posting, to hopefully make it easier to read.

Now if I can only get the thumbnail to link to the full photos.

pc_light

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all those 3 compared,

Nuwai is a sure winner, Most Bang for the buck, Light O/P is in between and the Runtime also in between.

Nuwai TM-310H is a certain winner in my books.

Cmoore

Enlightened
PC Light, nice comparative post. I'm still giving the ARC AAA best overall keychain light status.

The Fenix L0P is a nice light to be sure; but, I think I'm more impressed with its particle board, veneer covered box -- truly great fit and finish here.

pc_light

Enlightened
Cmoore said:
PC Light, nice comparative post. I'm still giving the ARC AAA best overall keychain light status.
Hi Cmoore:

I'm not a good gauge of keychain lights.

Folks on another thread were complaining about the size of the Fenix L0P on the keychain, I had to chuckle to myself, because I carry a FF2 on mine :grin2:.

pc_light

pc_light

Enlightened
ViReN said:
With all those 3 compared,
Nuwai is a sure winner, Most Bang for the buck, Light O/P is in between and the Runtime also in between.

Nuwai TM-310H is a certain winner in my books.
Hi ViRen,

I agree about Nuwai being value for money. I use mine often around the house. Coating is very soft and build is less "industrial strength" than the other two. Though at 4 to 1 you could replace it several times and still be ahead :thinking:

Besides, sometimes you just need the fun of a pocket rocket (Fenix) or old reliable (Arc-P). Now if they could build a light as small and reliable as the Arc, as sleek and throw-able as the Fenix, and still cost what the Nuwai does... to dream the impossible dream. :candle:

pc_light

Cmoore

Enlightened
The ARC AAA wins my best overall keychain light pick based on considering all the factors I want in keychain light holistically -- overall is the key consideration here.

In the winter months, my ARC AAA is displaced from my keychain by a Photon Freedom as I also carry a brighter, longer running pocket light in my coat pocket. Yet, when the only light I carry is on my keychain, the ARC AAA still wins out after more than three years of trying others.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Great job. I wonder how shiftd's AAA mods would have faired here...?

Hi Trashman,

I don't own any of Shiftd's mods, but if one could drop a more efficient emitter into the Fenix, that would help with run-time, the one weakness of this light.

I think we're all holding our breath to see what the Ocean brings.

pc_light

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
pc_light said:
Now if I can only get the thumbnail to link to the full photos.

Just cut and paste the contents of the second (from the top) Imageshack link box directly into the post (i.e. don't use the insert buttons form the WYSIWYG editor). CHeers,

Paul

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
When was the 310 purchased? I ask only because some of the lights that use these LEDs (advancedmart CR2) are showing up with brighter and better tinted LEDs and manufacturers aren't patting themselves on the back about it.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome comparisons!!! Very helpful overall. A+ stuff :rock:

I was thinking about getting an L0P (since I have the L1P & L2P), but I am now starting to reconsider it more and more.

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion the smaller the light the cheaper it has to be because it is easier to loose. The Nuwai is the clear winner because of the longer runtime and the 4 to 1 ratio in price.:sold:

pc_light

Enlightened
xochi said:
When was the 310 purchased? I ask only because some of the lights that use these LEDs (advancedmart CR2) are showing up with brighter and better tinted LEDs and manufacturers aren't patting themselves on the back about it.
Hi Xochi:

I'm guessing that this is one of the later brighter ones since it was purchased from LED_Experimenter's Super Sale late last year (Nov/Dec?).

I will admit that it was brighter than I expected and for pure throw goes farther than the Arc-P. Though the Arc-P definitely puts out more lumens and illuminates a wider area.

I agree about the new LEDs, some of the people who bought X5's recently are talking about it being bright. Not sure if its because they're new to LED lights or the LEDs are newer. My old HA-X5 is hardly what I would call bright, hardy and long lasting yes.

It just keeps getting better!

pc_light

pc_light

Enlightened
chimo said:
Just cut and paste the contents of the second (from the top) Imageshack link box directly into the post (i.e. don't use the insert buttons form the WYSIWYG editor). CHeers,

Paul
Hi Paul:

It's wierd, but it a few times, and although the thumbnail and link work when "Previewing" the post, the minute I submit and view the thread, it's not there. :banghead:

I thought it might be my browser settings, but then I can see other's thumbnails, (including my own when I Preview).

I'd welcome any other suggestions.

pc_light

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi Paul,

Thanks, I tried one more time, and now they seem to work?!

Must be your touch. :thumbsup:

pc_light

Last edited: