Collectable pens?

Malpaso

Enlightened
The g/f likes pens the way I like flashlights. However, I know as much about pens as she knows about flashlights. She doesn't have any real expensive ones, as far as I know, so I'd like to get some ideas for a Valentine's gift (that will keep me out of a jewelry store). Any direction at all would be most appreciated.

Malpaso

Enlightened
CHC said:
S.T. Dupont Vertigo in Red Chinese Lacquer may be the way to go!

Ouch! I thought an A2 was expensive. Maybe I should ahve mentioned a $100 - $200 price range.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok! Good choice, specialy if she likes pens. Does she work in an enviornment where she could use one everyday?

I got my wife a couple of Monteblanc pens. There are better pens but then there are better watches than a Rolex too. They are both classics and a basic for any collector or appreciator of fine instruments.

I EDC the Montblanc, Meisterstuck LeGrand

Here is the basic classic standardMont Blanc Meisterstuck Classique Ballpoint Pen

Then a step up is the Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Classique Rollerball Pen

I got my sweetie a Monteblanc Boheme with the purple gemstone.

She by far prefers the silky smooth rollerball but I like the thick broad ballpoint. Platinum in more coveted than gold but all MB's are nice. I feel naked at work without it :)

Just be prepared for the pain if she loses it :ohgeez:

Happy V-day :nana:

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
Need info first - is she into fountains, rollerballs, ballpoints...? I'm into fountain pens myself, you can find some really good stuff for less than you listed, I need to pick up a Namiki Vanishing point myself, under $100. www.pendemonium.com/pens_namiki.htm .Monteverde has some nice stuff too. Of course, you can't forget about Peliakn and their awesome piston pens http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_pelikan.htm

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
When you mention collectable pens I think of vintage fountain pens. If this is the case you might try to find out her specific interests and likes for construction materials, makers, nib styles, etc. It's a lot like deciding on which light to get. Of course it would be hard to go wrong with a Parker or maybe Sheaffer Targa in that price range.

stevesurf

Newly Enlightened
Ahh yes, a forum for everything:

The Fountain Pen Network: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showforum=4

Pens4Less is an authorized Mont Blanc Dealer and very reputable - you'll get a nice discount:

http://www.pens4less.com/

Like CroMagnet, I would recommend a MB Boheme Rollerball with her favorite color as the stone. The rollerball is versatile and can be converted to a felt tip with a MB cartridge. Nice gift; my sister loves hers.

boheme.jpg

CLHC

Flashaholic
Malpaso said:
Ouch! I thought an A2 was expensive. Maybe I should have mentioned a $100 - $200 price range.

He he he. . .Sorry! How about an "entry" level one from Waterman? Say the Phileas or Carene collection?

carrot

Flashaholic
What's the Surefire of pens?

My dad's accumulated a Mont Blanc, Sensa (which I took), and a Tiffany (the jewelery store!) writing set over the years.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well you have some limited editions pens from different manufacturers.

Namiki has a FP for around $8,500 (eight thousand five hundred) called the Emperor Rabbit in Moonlight

Michael Perchin series (like The Persian Blue or The Star of India for example) that goes for like $5,000 (five thousand) and up

Krone has very limited series that I've seen for $15,000 (fifteen thousand)

Don't know if one would call them the "SureFire" of pens though.

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi Y'all,

I've got a really old fountain pen made by Remington. A dealer told me it was the only one they ever made. He tried VERY hard to get it... for up to $300. I figured it must be worth more so I still have it. That was about 20 years ago.

Who knows?

S

Spudman

Enlightened
New pens-Pelikan makes fountain pens in several price ranges that are highly regarded by fountain pen users.

Vintage pens-The Parker 51 might be a good place to start. Affordable and they usually don't need restoration. Not a flashy pen but it is very dependable.

Zosslist has lots of information if it is still around. I had to drop off because the email load was massive.

Gary

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Malpaso said:
Ouch! I thought an A2 was expensive. Maybe I should ahve mentioned a $100 - $200 price range.

Namiki (Pilot) Vanishing Point. A retractable fountain pen. Very nice writer. I had the old style and bought one of the newer styles this weekend. Very nice. At Joon (www.joon.com) they were $112 I think. I bought it in one of their stores but they sell on the web also. If you want to go a bit more expensive I would suggest a Pelikan from Joon.

Malpaso

Enlightened
Thanks for all your quick responses.

I started leaning towrd the Mont Blanc line, as it had immediate name recognintion for me. The first hurdle I came to was that nobody quotes prices on the internet. I called one of the dealers that was recommended here, and they only had one model that was under $200. However, I did find a great price (and hopefully a great deal) on a discontinuted model (Generation 13420) on ebay. Hopefully I made the right choice.

One potential problem I just thought of. A pen box looks quite like a jewelry box. I hope I haven't set myself up here ;)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh! Very nice pen. You done good, Very good. :)

The box looks more like it would hold a tennie than the infamous rock solitaire so the only worry is that she has very expensive taste/expectations. Nice tennis bracelets are mucho dinero.

If you go to a montblanc store or call one, thay may give you some MB wrapping paper so there is less confusion as to what's in the box when she see's it.

Good luck!

CLHC

Flashaholic
If you go with Montblanc, go with the Czar Nikolai I in sterling silver and green malachite! That's the only Montblanc to have as opposed to the others. Check it out! Very Beautiful I must say! Feels solid in my hands! Enjoy!