HDS Systems
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Post your home-made lanyard photos!

Default Re: Post your home-made lanyard photos!

I'm a sucker for knots and lanyards where you can't see the ends. I've tied lots of monkey fists (or are they turk's heads; there is a difference between the two) that way, but it wasn't until recently that I learned to tie a bowsun. With the help of wpowell, who patiently explained how, I combined both into this:

I took the core out of the paracord, and tied the monkey fist around a 1/4" wooden bead I found at the local craft store. When I used a marble I was able to do 3 loops around the monkey fist. The marble one looks and feels nicer (a little more heft to it).
    Last edited by greenLED; 06-13-2006 at 02:09 PM.

That looks more like a Turk's Head. I'm not sure how to explain it in proper terms, but a Monkey's Fist has only three axis for the cord to rotate (or turn) around. The Turk's Head, OTOH, has many different variations with different numbers of bights, and leads. For example, a Pineapple Knot is a Turk's Head of some form.

The following is a Turk's Head (4 lead X 5 bight):

This one is a Monkey's Fist:

A Chinese Button Knot may be a Turk's Head, but I'm not real sure what makes a knot a Turk's head. Other knots that look like they could be candidates are the Diamond Knot (Knife Lanyard Knot), and the Completion Stitch that boondoggleman teaches to finish a Square/Round Sinnet.
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller
    Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!!- Axlis

That looks more like a Turk's Head. I'm not sure how to explain it in proper terms, but a Monkey's Fist has only three axis for the cord to rotate (or turn) around.
    From your description and pics, the one I tied is a Monkey Fist (it has the 3 axis), I just went around them twice.

The veredict is in! What I did was a Turk's Head, but tightening it over a round core like I did yields a ball.

The confusion I have is that some of the online instructions for "monkey fists" show it being tied by wrapping the line along your fingers. However, I tie my "monkey fists" "flat" by overlapping 2 loops and then threading one end over and under those. I've followed both methods and the results *look* the same but I can see where the line follows a different path when starting the knot around my fingers.

So, what am I tying? Is it a Turk's Head with a certain number of blights and leads that makes it look like a Monkey Fist? Or is it a Monkey Fist. I'm thoroughly confused now. Either way they look cool

I'm calling the Diamond Knot a "bowsun", just because that's what wpowell called it. I've been calling it "lanyard knot" since I first saw it.
    Last edited by greenLED; 06-13-2006 at 07:54 PM.

Turk's Head (normally, this is formed around a bar or something similar...different weave than the Monkey's Fist:
    http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/turks...turks_head.htm

Monkey's Fist:
    http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/monke...nkeys_fist.htm

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED
    I'm calling the Diamond Knot a "bowsun", just because that's what wpowell called it. I've been calling it "lanyard knot" since I first saw it.
    Both are correct...To paraphrase Monty Python, "It's pronounced "bowsun", but spelled "Boatswain". "Lanyard Knot" is also correct and appropriate.

http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/boats...in_whistle.htm

JM-99

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED
    From your description and pics, the one I tied is a Monkey Fist (it has the 3 axis), I just went around them twice.

The confusion I have is that some of the online instructions for "monkey fists" show it being tied by wrapping the line along your fingers. However, I tie my "monkey fists" "flat" by overlapping 2 loops and then threading one end over and under those. I've followed both methods and the results *look* the same but I can see where the line follows a different path when starting the knot around my fingers.

So, what am I tying? Is it a Turk's Head with a certain number of blights and leads that makes it look like a Monkey Fist? Or is it a Monkey Fist. I'm thoroughly confused now. Either way they look cool
    What throws me off is that where the ends go into the ball one axis overlaps the other, and then is overlaped by the same axis? Don't usually see that on a MF AFIK. I'm still a novice myself.
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Here's another one. It's a bad pic, but it's a Turk's Head. It looks similar to the MF because of the low number of turns, and probably the type of Turk's Head.

It looks similar to yours. Here's where I got the instructions:
    http://www.folsoms.net/knots/

You Guys are great!

OK, so I've been tying Turk Heads all these years thinking they were Monkey Fists.

I'll go back an edit my other post...

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    What throws me off is that where the ends go into the ball one axis overlaps the other, and then is overlaped by the same axis? Don't usually see that on a MF AFIK. I'm still a novice myself.
    :grinster: That may be because of the way I tied the knot. I used one of the ends from the bowsun to tie a Turks Head. Using the other end from the bowsun I backtracked the path of the first end through the knot, doubling it. A little tightening, cutting, and tucking in the remaining ends yields what is shown in that pic.

I guess tightening the Turk's Head around a round core is what makes it round like that.

Now I have to learn how to properly make a Monkey Fist lanyard.
    Last edited by greenLED; 06-13-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Where can I learn about tying up some of these knots and lanyards and buying some of the beads and skulls shown in these pictures. This stuff is pretty neat!!!!
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

http://www.lighthound.com/info/lanyard_weaving.htm look under accesories as well and you will find everything you are looking for
    Quote Originally Posted by hivoltage
    Where can I learn about tying up some of these knots and lanyards and buying some of the beads and skulls shown in these pictures. This stuff is pretty neat!!!!
    Last edited by TENMMIKE; 06-20-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Keeping this thread alive with some Round Sennits.

Here's another Gander_Man designed Mini-JFBF. This one done with a Twist Stitch in toxic green and black.

Just tried out this idea today. A Maglite paracord grip. The maroon is on my 18 year old 3D cell Maglite and the black/olive drab is on my new 3 watt LED 2D cell Maglite. The grips can be slid on/off, but are tight enough that they won't come off on their own. I use about 15 feet of paracord to make one.

Last edited by Stormdrane; 07-01-2006 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added a better photo/description

Someone asked me if the Maglite paracord grips I made were adjustable. The first couple I made weren't since they were tied right onto the lights. So I made a couple more that are adjustable and would fit D and C cell lights like a Maglite. Here's a pic of what they look like off the light. If you check my blog, I put instructions on attaching them. If you can make a paracord bracelet, you can make the flashlight grip. I prefer the thicker king cobra stitch for the grip, but the cobra stitch will work as well. I imagine a gutted cobra/king cobra would make for a nice two finger grip on a smaller 2AA light.

could someone help, i searched the lanyard thread but couldnt find an answer
    i saw a picture once, it was a flashlight that had paracord wrapped around the entire body of the light, providing grip and protection i guess
    i would like to know how i can do this to my flashlight
    cheers for any help
    KL-4+Vital Gear FB02
    Pr-t (TWOK) + DB700 + E2E
    Pr (WXOT) + BB700 + E20
    M3T + rcr 123's
    Will build for free!!

Quote Originally Posted by roguesw
    i saw a picture once, it was a flashlight that had paracord wrapped around the entire body of the light, providing grip and protection i guess
    cheers for any help
    This it? The Koppo Wrap

Here's one I just made for a Mini Maglite.

I didnt know people put so much emphasis on lanyards...I mean, THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL

I was wrong to not see so highly of it, I simply bought a box of paper clips from the office inventory in the closet and put them in the holes from my shoelaces, then the lace was promptly washed and used as a lanyard

hey, I was too lazy to go to a store okay?

Quote Originally Posted by roguesw
    cheers for any help
    I found that post. It’s post 99, here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106012&page=4&pp=30

Looks like it’s an X1 wrapped in a Chinese Staircase.

http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_chinese_staircase.htm

Looks like the only difference is that photorob used the X1 for the center instead of 4 strands of boondoggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation
    I didnt know people put so much emphasis on lanyards...I mean, THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL

I was wrong to not see so highly of it, I simply bought a box of paper clips from the office inventory in the closet and put them in the holes from my shoelaces, then the lace was promptly washed and used as a lanyard

hey, I was too lazy to go to a store okay?
    Just google Supply Captain, and the store will go to you.

thanks ghostrider,
    thats the one i was thinking about
    i saw it on a different flashlight but its the same idea
    i think its neat, now, let me see what's involved in tying this particular knot\

stormdrane
    i love what you did with that, very nice grip for the flashlight,
    thanks for the link, another project for the flashlight
    this is great

thanks guys, now i gota go and try to make these knots happen
    cheers
    Des
    Last edited by roguesw; 07-04-2006 at 04:44 AM.
    KL-4+Vital Gear FB02
    Pr-t (TWOK) + DB700 + E2E
    Pr (WXOT) + BB700 + E20
    M3T + rcr 123's
    Will build for free!!

ty ghostrider

Quick and a dirty McClickie tailcap lanyard. Poor pics as well but you get the idea.

Tying knots is so much fun.

More pics, more pics.

Another Gander_Man designed JFBF (Jumbo Fat Boy Fob).

Double Twist in desert camo and maroon.

One of my FAF's (Fully Adjustable Fob). Orange and royal blue.

FAF in woodland camo and hunter green.

Some Monkey's Fists.

I made this wrist strap with thin Type I paracord(from the Supply Captain). I like the cord, but it can mean more time and work per project because of it's thin diameter compared to 550 paracord. I tied it to my Spyderco Salt I, but it would easily tie onto a flashlight or multi-tool. I used about 14 feet of cord in the wrist strap. A wrist strap can come in handy when working around water or in an elevated location. The other wrist strap is 20 feet of Type I paracord in OD green done in a king cobra stitch.

Last edited by Stormdrane; 07-05-2006 at 07:36 PM.

Here is some I have made in tha past few days....except the 4th one from the left I bought. Except I forgot to get the 3 on my knives and light in the picture!! Oh well, you get the picture.

I am a beginner so give me a break, and a big thanks to Stormdrane for pointing me in the right direction for material and knowhow. He makes some cool stuff. What fun when I am sitting on the porch drinking a beer

OK....why am I not allowed to post attachments?
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

Quote Originally Posted by hivoltage

OK....why am I not allowed to post attachments?
    Try using Photobucket.

I handed this one to my mom and she says "Neat, a flashlight cozy." I said "Noooo, you can't call it that. How about 'Tactical clone wrap', since it's a AAA clone and thats's 6 feet of type I paracord wrapped around it?" She liked her description better....

Last edited by Stormdrane; 07-06-2006 at 04:24 PM.

It says at the bottom of the page under posting rules that " I may not post attachments"

neither can any of us we have to use an off site server, and post the link using image tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit
    neither can any of us we have to use an off site server, and post the link using image tags.
    He's right. Photobucket and Imageshack are two common ones. You have to download the pic to one of them, and then they give you a image tag to use. The ones I mentioned are free trial.

I think this thread is worth to be made sticky

Cheers
    Ralf
    --
    EDC: Fenix P1D-CE, KL4 on E1e with R123, ORB raw

Let me try this again!!!!
    Last edited by hivoltage; 07-07-2006 at 06:50 AM. Reason: picture

Flashaholic

Here's a battery holder that i made for a CPF member: