Glass lens for solitaire?

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Does antbody know of anywher where i can get a glass lens for a solitaire? I am getting one in HA3 and am putting a LED_ASAP 1w module in it and want a glass lens to finish it off. Any help is greatly appreciated.
marc

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size did you need? PM me 'cause I don't know if I'll catch this thread again.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
The diameter is 10.8mm by 0.8mm thick, so i imagine 11mm x 1mm would fit. Does anyone know where i could find one?
marc

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
I'd be in the market for one as well. But I would prefer a glass slightly thicker.

The head is almost impossible to disassemble without damaging the original lens or reflector or both.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know... I'd like to find a source as well. I've done a few Solitaire mods and am having a Solitaire HAIII'ed and would certainly prefer it to have a glass window than the POS window that is stock.

How hard is it to cut 1mm thick quality glass? Couldn't we rough cut the piece just a bit oversize and grind it down with something?

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
You could with a dremel, a diamond cutoff wheel, and the Zinc Oxide bits for the fine trim but it would be far from perfect. One slip and the optic is ruined, Plus you would have all the fine glass powder to deal with which will cut into your skin and is very hazordous to resperation.

"[size=-1]Ordinarily, I could do it with a piece of Transparent Aluminum..."

But we're about 140 years too early for that, and you may get metal poisoning from the shavings as well.

The prefered method would be a high pressure water cutting system. I've seen these cut through 1" thick glass no problem

Next choice would be a laser, but it takes something in the megawatt range to cut through glass, if you can get the beam that narrow for the size of the optic.
[/size]

reefphilic

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting some AR coated sapphire crystal len custom build for my HA solitaire. But I need to order at least 100pcs to get a reasonable price. If there is enough interest. I can do a group buy.

VWTim

Enlightened
reefphilic said:
I'm thinking of getting some AR coated sapphire crystal len custom build for my HA solitaire. But I need to order at least 100pcs to get a reasonable price. If there is enough interest. I can do a group buy.

Any idea on ballpark price?

reefphilic

Enlightened
About USD 22 shipped. For more than one pc, you save a bit for shipping and packing. This is the price I was quoted some times ago so it may be slightly more or less.

Will be much cheaper to use glass len instead but I'm not sure 0.8mm thick glass will be strong enough to withstand the abuse thrown to a keychain light.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was talking to someone about getting some AR coated lenses. They told me that the initial setup would be $400 and then $4 per lens after that.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could just order a plain mineral glass lens. It's what I use in most of my lights. All of my stuff invariably gets scratched (or broken) and when that happens, it's no big deal to replace a cheap lens.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I like the idea of AR coated crystal, if you are going to the bother of getting HA3 done you may as well go the whole hog and get a decent lens. I have found some 0.8mm glass lenses but the sapphire crystal appeals. If anybody has any luck please count me in for a couple.
marc

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Resurrected.

The diameter is 10.8mm by 0.8mm thick, so i imagine 11mm x 1mm would fit.

Running with 10440 LiFePO4 and MiniMag lamp in Solitaire, I am inevitably destroying my Soli plastic lens and reflector, with all efforts taken to mitigate and avoid the heat damage. I really dig this set up, and though it would be nice to have a far better ceramic socket, I am not damaging the OEM plastic socket with the higher voltage and heat (though it does tend to get less reliable over time and use, this is likely to occur even with normal wear and tear). But even with the very affordabe bargain of simply replacing the entire light when the damage becomes severe enough, it is annoying to me to be so wasteful.

Any updated direction on precisely where to buy a replacement Solitaire lens in glass, borosilicate glass, or saffire crystal, with or without AR, is appreciated. And any information given for where to buy a replacement aluminum reflector that will directly replace the OEM plastic reflector, even any details on the dimensions of the OEM plastic reflector for the purposes of hunting down a viable aluminum replacement, would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: