Signing off for a while... FR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: I'm back doing reviews now - see post #123 for updates. Thank you everyone for your posts and concern while I was taking a break! - Doug P.

All,

As some of you saw, I pretty much "snapped" in the L2P review thread in response to some rather snide (in my opinion) comments about the integrity of my reviews.

It isn't really one person's fault, it's more like the "straw that broke the camel's back". Believe me, the camel's belly has been nearly touching the ground for a while.

Keeping up with the website has been too much lately. Very simply, I need to take a break. No doubt.

So, as a result, I'm "signing off" for a while. I have some reviews I'll do for lights I have committed to review when they come in, but after that I need to pause for a while and refocus my energies on other areas of my life.

I don't know how soon after that I'll start working on reviews again in earnest. It won't be forever, but there will be a pause as my priorities realign.

The site will certainly stay up and running, so no worries there. However, I will not be purposely soliciting lights from suppliers, won't be responding to most e-mails, and I probably won't be checking in to CPF at all...

I felt it was better to let everyone here know rather than just "disappear into the sunset" for a while without a word, especially since my site appears to have gathered quite a following.

I'll catch up with you all again sometime in the near future. Until then, keep the lights on for me. ;)

Best wishes,
Doug P. (Quickbeam)
FlashlightReviews.com

Last edited:

Ikonomi

Enlightened
"especially since my site appears to have gathered quite a following."

Definitely. You know, I actually found Flashlightreviews.com before I found CPF when I was a budding flashaholic.

Enjoy your time off. It's always a pain when a fun hobby turns into a burden. I hope you'll come back to us sooner rather than later.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd like to throw out some appreciation as well. I really enjoy your reviews and use your site often. Hope things return to the "positive side" sooner than later!

Haz

Enlightened
I really appreciate your reviews, due to the amount of effort you go into making a great website with plenty of useful information. I've always used your website as a guide as to what i want to buy, as it provides all the necessary information i need to make decisions, otherwise i will be literally in the dark!. Thanks for your reviews, enjoy your time off, see you again soon.
Haz

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ikonomi said:
"especially since my site appears to have gathered quite a following."

Definitely. You know, I actually found Flashlightreviews.com before I found CPF when I was a budding flashaholic.
LEDmuseum, then flashlightreviews for me. And I've said it before, I check Doug's site everytime before any purchase of a light. It's like a tome for me. I must look and compare numbers atleast 10 times a day. Without Doug's site, I'd be flying blind.
I haven't read the reivew/thread in question, but I do remember someone saying something about your setup, with a real *******, smarmy attitude about it. That's crap, you da MAN Doug!

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Doug,

You have been working your back side off for us. I really appreciate your efforts - Thank You!!!

Enjoy the other aspects of your life, and take some time to smell the roses.

Once again, thank you for your efforts.

Tom

Nell

Enlightened
I truly appreciate your site. I have used it so many times to check on items for sale or even to see what lights people are discussing. My loss your gain. Take good care and see you soon.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug, I'm chiming in as yet another flashaholic that was "brought in" to the world of flashlights in no small part due your website. It's too bad when fun becomes work.

Hopefully a little time off will give you some fresh air and you will primed and ready when the next truly exciting batch of lights (K2 :D) hits the market. Best wishes,

Jon

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You've definitely been a "guiding light" to us all, and your site will continue to assist me and many other budding flashaholics. Enjoy the break. You deserve one. Thanks.

Geoff

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,
I'm sure you know, from the emails we've exchanged in the past, how much I appreciate the time and effort you put into a solid, easy to use, infomational website. I also know from past experience just how quickly a fun hobby can turn into a 300lb gorilla sitting on your back.

Take a break, do what you need to do for you! We're all flashlight nutz here and it causes some to get a little short-sighted about it but in the end...it's just flashlights!

For a humorous perspective on how serious people get about collecting things try reading Terry Pratchetts "Going Postal".

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your great effort and spirit have created a beacon in the night that is the benchmark destination for a larger community than we realize.

Maybe you can systematize your labor of love, making it more enjoyable and rewarding to manage.

:candle:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Doug, for all your work and for your fabulous website. It is the authoritative site on all things bright, and the one place I always go before seriously considering any new purchase.

Enjoy your break, and know you will always be appreciated here.

Andrew

rookie

Enlightened
Doug, enjoy your time off, you really deserve it.

From day one, your site has helped me many times in deciding whether or not to get a certain light. Almost always, your reviews were excellent and I was never disappointed in your reviews and opinions. :thumbsup:

Your photos of the lights and beamshots were excellent and were really useful in comparing lights.

Regards,

edison

Enlightened
Hello Doug. I just wanted to thank you for all of your contributions. I've used your website many, many times. It's a valuable resource and a great asset to our culture. :)

Enjoy your time off, and take as much as you want. You don't owe us anything.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Dude, you deserve some time off to pursue other interests, and enjoy life. Hope to see you back soon, we'll be waiting!
daloosh

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Awwww man, what a urinator - I mean what a pisser. :(
First Chris M. and now Doug P. :shakehead:

Please do take the time you need to recharge your batteries. You'll definitely be missed, but since you've stated your absence is not permanent, I'll look forward rather eagerly to your return. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.