car comparisons... NEW PICS!

drizzle

Enlightened
Re: car comparisons

a) Mustang - one of the nicest looking new designs at any price, IMHO. Nice blend of old and new.

b) Corvette - I just like 'em. The Ford GT is nice too though.

c) Ford - I like the traditional looks when it comes to pickups and that one looks most traditional to me.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened

A, Ford Mustang. Great looking car and reasonably good quality but a little too heavy. I drive a 98 SS Camaro so you know it had to be tough for me to praise the Mustang but it really is a nice looking car. The Charger is BUTT ugly and WAY too heavy. The late 60s Chargers were beautiful great cars. 1970s Chargers got very ugly and too heavy. The new Charger should have gone back to the late 60s Charger for styling cues. All that great new Hemi horsepower is wasted carrying all that heavy ugly sheetmetal around.

B, All three are beautiful. The Ford GT is the most beautiful but it had early and possibly not yet resolved reliablility issues and is just too expensive. It does get bonus points because of strong styling cues to the real Ford GTs of the early 1960s. The Corvette is probably the most reliable of the three and also has a much lower price. It is definitely the most practical of the three. The new ZO6 Corvette with it's wider wheelwell flares is very different looking. I would like to have one.

C. Another write in vote for the Toyota Tacoma. The pickups on your list have gotten uglier everytime they have had a styling change. The Titan just started out being ugly. The new Honda pickup is a little odd looking but will beat everything else in practicality and reliability just because it is a Honda.

ymmv,
jc

MSI

Enlightened

a) Mustang. When it comes to looks, the 1966 model Mustang is my overall fav car regardless of category.
b) GT
c) Silverado

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

A. I'm not crazy about either the Mustang or the Charger but I'd vote for the Mustang. Similar to the Charger, I'd take the Chrysler 300 or the Dodge Magnum over the Mustang GT.

B. I'm a fan of all of them. If it was my money, I'd go for the Corvette... LOTS of performance and every day drivability for very little coin. For looks alone, I prefer the original generation Viper as it just looks meaner than the current one. I've never driven or sat in the new version but I understand it's all around an easier car to drive. Having said that, the first time I ever saw the Ford GT, I thought it was georgeous! I'd never EVER EVER buy one (I'm a Porsche and a BMW guy myself) but it was gray and overcast and raining just a bit and that blue and white GT looked bad as all getup! If you've never seen one in person, it's impossibly low to the ground. It's so low, it looks like it could almost fit under an average streetable monster truck.

C. The Tacoma is much smaller than the full size trucks guys. But I'd vote for teh Toyota Tundra. A guy my father in law works with has one in the very dark maroon color and he keeps it uber clean and sparkly... it's a very nice looking truck for being completely stock. Father in law has a new style F150 with the 4.6L V8 and the auto. I'm not really a big fan of trucks or a big fan of Fords but the new F150 rides really nice. He hit a deer with it late last year and got a Dodge as a rental which sounded better (exhaust) but other than that, I'd take the Ford hands down over the Dodge. Not just looks, but how it rides and looks inside. I don't like the Chevy at all... hate those headlights.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

you guys honestly think the mustang looks better than Charger???!!! Wow.... I think the Charger wipes the floor with the mustang. It also performs better. Lookie here at the ratings:

http://www.caranddriver.com/default.asp?section_id=39&agFlash=3416&agMake=DODGE&agModel=CHARGER

http://www.caranddriver.com/default.asp?section_id=39&agFlash=3692&agMake=FORD&agModel=MUSTANG

I cant believe so many said Ford GT.... look at the lights on that thing... yuck! I go with Viper.

Then I go with Ram, it has more available horsepower than any of the trucks, and the new one has really nice interior.

and in case you havent guessed it, I am a dodge fan :)

-David

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

jclarksnakes said:
All that great new Hemi horsepower is wasted carrying all that heavy ugly sheetmetal around.

Dont make fun of my favorite car :)... the charger is a masterpiece

-David

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo said:
Then I go with Ram, it has more available horsepower than any of the trucks, and the new one has really nice interior.

Have you actually spent any time in the new Ram and the new F150? Even the Dodge dealer admits the F150 has a nicer interior... they spend all their time hyping the Hemi power. But unless you're street racing, who really needs it?

The Charger is nice... if I won one, I wouldn't sell it at a loss to buy something else, but in my opinion, it's definately the least attractive of the Charger, Magnum and 300. That 300 is one sharp looking car!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know, the Titan is actually faster than the Ram Hemi (the 345hp model, not the 500!). It's got less horsepower, but a lot more torque.

For the questions:

A) I think they're equally attractive. I haven't seen many chargers around, so I'm not too sure about it, but it looks nice in the picture. I have seen some Mustangs around that just look incredibly sweet, though.

B) You know, again, I think they're equally attractive. If there was a Lambo in the mix, I probably would have chosen it, however. I've seen a few driving on the freeways in the past month, and every time I see them, I'm just blown away.

C) Tough choice. I'm somewhat split between the Dodge and the Nissan. I know owners of both, and they both love 'em. Hard to call, but if it were me buying one, I'd probably go with the Nissan, even though I like bed space, and if memory serves me correctly, the Ram's got more of it. I could be wrong about that, though. BTW, I don't think the Ram looks as good with the small wheels it has in the links. The optional larger ones really make it.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

your right, the ram has more bed space

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

cratz2 said:
Have you actually spent any time in the new Ram and the new F150? Even the Dodge dealer admits the F150 has a nicer interior... they spend all their time hyping the Hemi power. But unless you're street racing, who really needs it?

The Charger is nice... if I won one, I wouldn't sell it at a loss to buy something else, but in my opinion, it's definately the least attractive of the Charger, Magnum and 300. That 300 is one sharp looking car!

well, the new 2006 ram just came out... unless you met with the dealer in the last month or two? I will be heading to the Kansas city auto show in a month, and I'll let you know then. I also reccomend you all to go to the auto show and look at the charger for yourself, you have to see it to understand how good it looks, i saw one yesterday.... B-E-A utiful!

Also, I changed the charger link to show the entire thing, and also got a new mustang pic so that they'd be ~the same size. I added the srt-8 version, and the mustang roush.... opinions please.

-David

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I was talking about the 2001-2005 (or whatever the years were) for the Ram. If the new ones aren't out yet, then I certainly haven't spent any time in one.
nana.gif

But like I said above, the 2004-current F150 is certainly a nicer riding truck than the 2004-2005 Ram. It feels a lot more planted, esp in transition curves (going from left to right to left) and less skiddish than the Ram. And the interior is certainly nicer in the F150. Based on the three (2002-2005) Rams I've spent any appreciable time in, I can see why the folks at Diamler felt it was time to improve the Ram.

I've seen plenty of Chargers. Indianapolis is a big 'car city' and I've literally seen hundreds of the new Chargers. Discounting auto shows, I even saw one on the street before they were officially available. It was a dark gun metal blue color. Honestly, the Charger is a decent looking car. Like I said, I wouldn't sell one at a loss to get something similar but I think the Chrysler 300, while less agressive looking, is a far better looking car overall than the Charger.

Based on talking with several car guys I know of different ages, the older crowd seems to prefer the current Mustang to the current Charger because the Mustang has so many design elements from the 69-70 Mustangs and the 65-70 Mustangs in general. The Charger doesn't look anything like the 68-69 Chargers and the older guys tend to not like the fact that the Carger is a 4 door. The younger guys tend to like them both and the C pillar of the Charger and how it transitions into the rear quarter panels.

By the way, did you happen to see the article in Motor Trend (I think) where they took the black charger and the custom painted green Mustang to San Francisco for a 'Bullitt Revisited' photo shoot? Pretty cool article.

mccavazos

Enlightened
1. Charger, Just love the looks and the power

2. Vette, they are a thrill to drive and I love teh new looks.

3. Silverado. I have driven the new F150, and its just too heavy, I cant even sqeul teh tires from off the line :thumbsdow . The Ram is really really nice, but the Silverado is just an amazing experience to drive. I own a 1985 silverado that I just love, But I have driven a 2k5 several times, and I loooove it. I just can't call anything foreign a "Truck". Leave trucks to the good 'ol USA.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo said:
Wow.... I think the Charger wipes the floor with the mustang. It also performs better. Lookie here at the ratings.........

and in case you havent guessed it, I am a dodge fan :)

-David

Don't let your Dodge bias cloud over the facts for you. In the August '05 issue of C&D mag, they ran the Charger R/T to a 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds and hit the 1/4 mile in 14.2 sec at 101 mph. In the January '05 issue of C&D, they got 0-60 in 5.1 seconds with a Mustang GT, and the 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds. Exactly how is the Charger performing better?

They're completely different cars too. The Charger is a 4100 lb overweight 4-door only car that only comes with an automatic and starts at $30,000. Hardly a sports car by anyone's definition. The Mustang on the other hand, only comes in a 2-door model, lets you shift for yourself if you want, weighs a less portly 3500 lbs, and performs better (and starts at $5000 less). I like Dodges too (the Viper is the best handling car I've ever driven), but D-C really dropped the ball with all of their "Hemi" cars. They all weigh over 4000 lbs, they all are automatic only, and they are all four doors. My next new car will be a Mustang GT. Maybe the Challenger will give it some competition when it comes out in a few years.......maybe.

-Keith

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Looks only* and from the photos provided:
a. mustang
b. Ford-GT
c. silverado

Since the question was looks I wont say which I'd get in perforamnce, comfort etc

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Neon lights - took the words out of my mouth!!!

13" difference in wheelbase, Pushrods vs DOHC, 2.4 foot difference in turning radius, no comparison on how much fun the Mustang is vs how much fun you THINK you're having in the Charger.

The Charger is a decent looking car, but way too long to be sporty. The only thing it realy has over the Mustang is IRS.
Just my 0.02. I have a number of reasons to be very biased though....

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

NeonLights said:
Don't let your Dodge bias cloud over the facts for you. In the August '05 issue of C&D mag, they ran the Charger R/T to a 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds and hit the 1/4 mile in 14.2 sec at 101 mph. In the January '05 issue of C&D, they got 0-60 in 5.1 seconds with a Mustang GT, and the 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds. Exactly how is the Charger performing better?

-Keith

More horsepower and it towes 1000 lbs more! Thats twice the towing capacity.

-David

Last edited:

Latest posts