Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My City's Traffic Lights

Flashaholic

Lightbulb My City's Traffic Lights

Kinda Neat.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...24229-sun.html

My city(Edmonton,Alberta) has completely switched all thier Red and Green traffic lights to LED's.
    They figure, at about a savings of $800k a year, by power as said in the printed paper.
    No mention of the ambers being switched however.
    For me, they seem about same brightness, but much deeper colours.

Has anyone else'e done the complete switch, and did thiers include the amber?

IF

Default Re: My City's Traffic Lights

Anything bright is great! I really hate those traffic lights that have some kind of manifying optic on them that makes it difficult to see the status of the light until you're really close. Before you get close enough, the light looks dark. They always make me feel like like I'm driving too fast.

At my side here in Singapore, they already converted all their traffic lights to LEDs Looks brighter...

yep here in california all lights (or almost all) are LED, at one light neer my home there are two turn lights that appear to be in a series of some sort, i find it hilarious because one is being obviously overdriven (VERY INTENSE, semi pulsing led light) the other is just barely sucking what juice it can get, but its an led so it still lights up pretty well. im just waiting for that light to go out ... lol overdriving leds might not be the best idea for a traffic light!
    "you carry an umbrella if there is a 50% chance of rain, right? Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight." -saunterer

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Flakey
    yep here in california all lights (or almost all) are LED, at one light neer my home there are two turn lights that appear to be in a series of some sort, i find it hilarious because one is being obviously overdriven (VERY INTENSE, semi pulsing led light) the other is just barely sucking what juice it can get, but its an led so it still lights up pretty well. im just waiting for that light to go out ... lol overdriving leds might not be the best idea for a traffic light!
    When? I think some of the lights in our area are still incan (You can tell when they change color, since I'm not driving (Theres a "warmup" delay you can barely notice vs the instant blinkon)

Banned

Alot of the traffic lights switched to LED's many years ago. like 98' or so. At first they seemed really bright, but now I don't really notice the difference between them and the old incandescents that are still left.

NYC started putting in red/green LED bulbs in 2000 & finished all 11,000+ signals in 2004. The ambers remain incan. The city stated it will save $6.3 million a year in electrical costs.
    Primary duty lights: (metal) Elektrolumens Pentalux 4C; (polymer) Pelican M8 LED; (hybrid) StreamLight 3C-XP
    Searchlight: AE PowerLight PL14
    Back-up mini lights: Nuwai TM301X-5, X-3, X-1
    Special LED signaling lights: Torfino ICE light, Inova 24/7, Adventurelights VIP

NYPD flag, adopted in 1919

NYC is in the process of putting the ambers in now. Major Manhattan cross streets (34th, 57th, etc. They started on Worth St. last summer).
    Some scattered areas in the outer boro's, and flashing beacons are being done all over.
    I really hate those traffic lights that have some kind of manifying optic on them that makes it difficult to see the status of the light until you're really close. Before you get close enough, the light looks dark. They always make me feel like like I'm driving too fast.
    3M's and McCains.
    http://www.signalfan.com/ http://www.trafficsignalmuseum.com/
    I'm wondering if those can be retrofitted with LED's.

Here in Saguenay City (Québec) they switched all (Red Amber Green) to LED except 2 or 3 intersections where the traffic lights mounting where probably incompatible with the LED modules. I like them since we can see them much far away and we see them lit even if we are almost blinded by the sun.

I hate the led signals when driving on darkrural roads late at night. The green is bright enough seriously jack up your night vision when you need to see peds or drunk drivers going through the intersections. The new Led lights need some sort of dimmer system on them.

It wouldn't be difficult to incorporate an ambient light sensor into a traffic light. It could be added onto the fixture or built into the LED modules themselves.
    Veni vidi velcro

In Melbourne Au, most of the traffic lights and rail road signaling use Leds

AlienRFX -

I hear you.

PW -

This needs to be done at a particular signal I know of. The intersection is poorly lit. If you are entering from the east and the greens are on, it's very hard to see where you are going. Night vision blown sure but more than that you are temporarily blinded. I know this intersection well but still have to use caution because the street goes cattywompus. The other night I was approaching it from the west and saw a car slam on it's brakes to avoid going the wrong way. I was a half a block away to no real danger but I'm going to be real careful coming into it from the west from now on.

Blinding cattywompus intersection
    Last edited by Icebreak; 02-05-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: missing "b"
    The oldtimers are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. They reside just above the torch lit stratosphere where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

They may give a nod or a word.

The following is a link to the resume of the person who primarily developed LED technology for traffic signals. Note item 39 on the list of research and product development.

http://www.lightingsciences.com/Assets/pdf/ILResume.pdf
    AmiLite; ARC AAA-P (two); Draco Ti, Chrome, Fenix L1P; Fire-Fly III; Jil Intelli, 1.3 up, Chrome, and JCR2; KI LE CR2; Chameleon; Brass LionCub; Inova T3; McLuxI TK; McLuxII Aleph Ti 1, Aleph 3 Chrome, Nat, and Nat/Ti-Peu/Ti-TB hybrid; Aleph 19 (two); McLuxIII T, Ti PD (two), PD 24kt gold plate, PD Nat, PD slate, PD-S slate, Ti S27 PD, 27LT UXIK and WWOT, HD45 XXIT; Orb SS, Raw, NS; Peak Pacific, CPF Sp., Mediterranean; Streamlight Scorpion LED, Stinger HP; Surefire L1, L4, U2; Ti TB/McLux.

I think NYC has completely switched over to LED. I may be wrong, because I don't particularly pay attention. The crosswalk signs are also LED, but I noticed at least one of them on the fritz; several LEDs on one were flickering as if the sign had electrical problems.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Once again, NYC is progressing (somewhat slowly) on the final phase-- the yellows. All crosswalk signs, along with reds and greens have been completed (except for a few isolated places like 5th and 57th, (right under the holiday snowflake) which for some reason still has incandescent reds and greens on two sides, with amber LED's on the same sides)

I'm in Allentown PA
    They have changed most of them, but now their are red LED lights
    with a single line of white strobing LEDs in them to get you to see
    that the light has changed to red.Have any of you seen them yet?

Not really but that reminds me of Xenopus's BloodTracker.

Interesting.
    The oldtimers are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. They reside just above the torch lit stratosphere where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

They may give a nod or a word.

I think most of California is LED now, whats really cool are those pedestrian signal reflectors that go on the ground that flash when a pedestrian hit that walk button.

Enlightened

In my state Connecticut most of them are also LED with a few incandesent straglers left behind of the less known intersections. I have my own LED traffic light also a 12" eagle signal with Leotek LED Lenses it has a Lights To Go T3 Sequencer to make it work like a real traffic light

Pictures

http://h1.ripway.com/computerwizkid/trafficlight.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/computerwizkid/trafficlightr.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/computerwizkid/trafficlighty.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/computerwizkid/trafficlightg.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/computerwizkid/wiring.jpg

Nice.
    The yellow looks just like the ones NYC is putting in now. The older reds are similar to the red you have their (triangular pattern), but the newer ones and the greens are concentric circles.

Trying to consolidate some threads. I just closed this one and another one, thought we could continue here in this one. Thanks!
    -"Must control self"-

Wanna' see the guts of one I "rescued" from New Orleans while on patrol? Stay tuned for pics in a bit.

Dave
    Don't force it...use a bigger hammer.

Saw those traffic light pics from the other thread. I never knew they were spaced so far apart. I guess a good difuser really helps.

Had he lived past 2003, I wonder if Mr. Fred Rogers would have one in his living room, let alone neighborhood?

"Can you say, L. E. D.?" "Let's say it together" "LED!" "Very good, I'm talking to myself again."

Quote Originally Posted by tron3
    Saw those traffic light pics from the other thread. I never knew they were spaced so far apart. I guess a good difuser really helps.

Screw it I won't post the pics! (kidding-kid has moved my camera and I can't find it)

My lights have a different set up. They are CLB12's from CooperLed www.cooperled.com

Each led (5mm) sits in its own reflector --~11mm at top with steep walls top of bulb 3mm down, well is 5mm deep.

Leds are spaced from 7mm to 19mm in concentric circles radiating from center.

Diffuser has individual round lense for each led -- 14mm in diameter. Each one has a different angle.

Now ideas for projects? I am thinking of leaving them intact and making lights for under canaopy of camper--they are wired for 120v with an internal transformer. I have red,yellow and green. (and I can't speill well)

Dave
    Don't force it...use a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by kabkbak7321
    I'm in Allentown PA
    They have changed most of them, but now their are red LED lights
    with a single line of white strobing LEDs in them to get you to see
    that the light has changed to red.Have any of you seen them yet?
    I'm in State College, PA and they have changed ours to led, even the yellow, and some of the reds also have the strobe light in front of the led array. It seems they have put the strobes in certain lights that get washed-out by the early morning sunlight hitting them or in some cases, the evening sunlight.

Flashaholic

It's hit-or-miss in Florida, entirely determined by who owns the particular signal. City of Tampa -- Incandescent
    Hillsborough County - LED for new installs, seems to be some activity towards retrofitting the old signals
    Pinellas County -- LED
    Charlotte County -- New installs LED (which is virtually all of the signals due to Hurricane Charley in 2004), I think they're converting out any stragglers
    Lee County - LED and in process (almost complete) of retrofitting all signals
    Collier County -- LED for everthing, ALSO, are in the process of putting battery backup systems on the main routes. This wasn't possible with the old incandescents, but is easily done with the low wattage of the LED signals.
    ========
    Current EDC: Quark Mini AA

Here's a question...at what point will they get to a point that the market will have LEDs in all the traffic lights and the companies have nothing else to sell?

With the incandecents, you knew that the bulb would only last so long...with the LEDs...that life cycle is much much longer. I sense that some companies will either have to merge their business or get out of it when the market starts drying up...

When I was in China back in 2000, I noticed that all the traffic lights that I came across were LEDs...

Quote Originally Posted by BamZipPow
    Here's a question...at what point will they get to a point that the market will have LEDs in all the traffic lights and the companies have nothing else to sell?

With the incandecents, you knew that the bulb would only last so long...with the LEDs...that life cycle is much much longer. I sense that some companies will either have to merge their business or get out of it when the market starts drying up...

When I was in China back in 2000, I noticed that all the traffic lights that I came across were LEDs...
    There will always be a need for more bulbs, LED or not. If the on/off time for a street light is 50%, you potentially have a 20 year life span on the bulb. But consider the stress from changing weather. Contraction, expansion, moisture, dirt blowing, wind, etc. They would be lucky to survive that long. By the time they change everything, the very first ones will start breaking.

We only have a couple of traffic lights and they suck!! Whenever you have to make a left turn you wait, and wait, even if there's no traffic and you still want to turn left on a red arrrow, you wait, and wait, I wish someone that cared managed them. I think they get set once by someone who just guesses at the traffic pattern and are just left for residents to conform to their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast