giant owl with a taste for dogs

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now, a lot of people here know how much I love animals BUT, if anything ever tried to harm my Lab, I would kill it. No question.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure your dog is not left out side all night in the cold
barking and whining.

I love animals too

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

No, my dogs are inside dogs. I personally don't believe in leaving any dog outside for any length of time. I'm very over-protective. My yard is fenced in, locked at all times and my dogs NEVER go out alone even in the winter I am outside with them. I'm just crazy that way. That owl wouldn't stand a chance with me. :naughty:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What a great bird !
I admire those avian predators ...
And when they get rid of those pesky dogs ... even better :nana:
bernie

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ChocolateLab33 said:
Hi,

No, my dogs are inside dogs. I personally don't believe in leaving any dog outside for any length of time. I'm very over-protective. My yard is fenced in, locked at all times and my dogs NEVER go out alone even in the winter I am outside with them. I'm just crazy that way. That owl wouldn't stand a chance with me. :naughty:
i have to disagree my dog hated being inside but he was a chow mix he liked being outside where he could see stuff i miss him so much what a great dog

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely hate barking dogs although perhaps it would be more appropriate to hate the owners for their lack of responsibility. So many people friggin leash/yard their dogs outside for the day and then take off for work.

But anyhow, I think the owl should be killed. What if it was a toddler? Coincidence or not, my brother who lives deep in the country had his cat disappear the same day they spotted an owl in a tree. The owl was just a regular sized one, I can't think much if any bigger then the cat but he believes the owl got the cat. I'm a bit skeptical.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A guy on a gun board I'm on had an owl try and carry off his chihuahua. Actually got it pretty well into the air, but the dog got its head around and bit a leg off the bird.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA HA it went after a retriever! thats rediculous... :)

-David

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that many birds kill and eat game larger than themselves... Birds are very resourceful and can be unbelievably strong. My mother in law had a cat that was wounded by an owl, and I don't think it was all that large of an owl either... And their full grown adult male dalmation was afraid of the same owl.

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
I'm a former zookeeper that specialized in birds. The African Crowned Eagle weighs around 18 lbs and routinely kills up to 55lb antelope.

dfred

Enlightened
When I lived in Seattle I remember seeing a news item about a Dachshund (probably a minature) being carried a short distance by a Bald Eagle. The dog bit the eagle on the leg and the bird dropped it 20-30 feet to the ground. It was injured by the fall (and obviously the puncture wounds) but it survived.

I've always liked owls, but I know they are seen as evil or bad omens in a lot of cultures including many European ones. Perhaps these bad boys are responsible for the owl's bad reputation in general...? :shrug:

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gyrfalcons were used to hunt small European deer.

Birds of Prey can be incredibly resourceful and vicious.

Eagle Owls have been known to take foxes and small deer as well, so attempting to take a retriever was probably a mistaken identity thing.

Remember, In the water we look like seals to Great White sharks!!

Sea Eagles have been known to attempt to take lambs, and there are legends that they have attempted toddlers, but no confirmed cases I know of.

Ask any falconer about what kind of strength the Birds of Prey have in their talons, even tiny Sparrow Hawks have sent people to the hospital.

Years ago a hawk or falcon was found who had the skull, bleached white, of a mink or weasel attached to his leg. The dead animal had evidently bit thru the leg, and then been killed by the birds beak or other talons. All of him was torn off, but the skull wouldn't let loose, the bird died from other causes.

Owls are perhaps the most accomplished of the Birds of Prey, my Falconer friends fear that their birds will run into an Owl and lose the encounter.

Bill

CLHC

Flashaholic
That's GREAT! We have owls in my neighborhood and I do hear them quite often in the evening. I believe they keep the cat and rabbit population down on my street. That's a good thing. . .

Now with regards to dogs being outside, I believe they should and can and have survived being outdoors. Of course a friend of mine always picked/started a fight with me regarding my suggestion that she should leave her white German Shepherd outside and never in the house. For some reason she cannot stand the thought of that. . .

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be more ironic if the owl catches cats. It would be a role-reversal!
I wonder if I could get some of those owls over here, there isnt any stray dogs, just lots and lots of ferral cats that feed on live gray squirrels no less! It's really gross and a problem. then we have neighbors that feed the ferrals and have them have litters on thier porch and let them run wild and the trash from the food blows everywhere ugh /end rant

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's quite a large bird to go after dogs.
I wonder if any Rottweilers, German Sheperds, Dobermans or Pitbull Terriers have been attacked?
That would likely make one heck of a ruckus. :eek:oo:

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
This thread reminds me of a recent article about early man theoretically being hunted by predatory birds which were large, probably angry, and almost certainly rapacious.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, besides owls—too bad there isn't any of the Haring Ibon (Philippine "Monkey Eating" Eagle) or Harpy eagles around here, even though I live witin a longbow shot's length from Alum Rock Park. I would love to see those. These birds of prey will eat animals that are quite sizable. How about like swooping on an adult sloth or macaque? No small animal to carry off I must say! Let alone a dog. . .

Last edited:

Vee3

Enlightened
Hmmmm... This must be a Filipino bird.

My bro-in-law claims that he saw a great horned owl make off with his kitten in New Mexico...