Fixed my selector problem on U2

Grubbster

Enlightened
I know quite a few people have had the issue of their U2 going to low power between settings as they change the selector dial. I had the same problem. When I went between 4, 5, and 6, very slowly, the light would drop down to level 1 in brightness. Slightly annoying, but no big deal.
What was real annoying was the fingerprint on the underside of my lens. I tried to tell myself I could live with it, but every time I use the light, there it was. Today I had enough. I heated the bezel ring slowly with a torch and finally got the bezel ring loose. Cleaned the lens and then reassembled. Fingerprint gone. Happy camper!
While switching levels, I noticed that it no longer dropped to level 1 between levels 4, 5, and 6. I am not sure why this fixed it, but it could have to do with the selector ring smoothness or something with the electronics.
I just thought I would float this out there to those with the same affliction. You MAY be able to place your U2 head in a plastic bag and put it in boiling water for a few minutes to cure this problem. I don't think it could hurt to try if it bothers you enough. Please note, I have not tried this and you do so at your own risk. But I hope someone will try and post to see if it helps.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:thinking: there is a certain piece of lint stuck in somebody's reflector... :whistle:

Maybe I'll boil some water... :whistle:

Did you find loctite on the bezel ring? Did you have to use strap wrenches?

Grubbster

Enlightened
Yes, there is some type of black locktite. There is no O ring at the threads so you don't need to worry about damaging it. The O ring is flat and sits under the glass and on top of the reflector edge. I was able to get it off with just a pair of work gloves on.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Grubbster, you are a bad influence indeed... I like that!! :twothumbs:

OK, now to muster the courage to boil a $300 flashlight... :crazy:

(Where did I leave my work gloves? :thinking:)