Which light?

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
Is the Infinity Ultra a good light or is there a better light that is similar in size? I have the Surefire E1e but I want a small LED light that I can EDC. Thanks

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
skiersl9...the Infinity Ultra is a VERY good light for EDCing, and has proven itself WELL over the last few years. It's virtually indestructable, and with it's simple twist-on design, is VERY dependable. There are a lot of other choices out there that will give more output, but if you find the output of the Infinity Ultra sufficient enough for your needs as an EDC, IMHO, it's a tough light to beat! For sheer utility and dependability it's top-notch!

PJD

TBY

Newly Enlightened
Yes they are great lights. Even better were the old CMG ones. I have an Ultra-G and that thing is a tank. Now if you want to step into the world of the AAA lights...:naughty:

Luxman

Enlightened
Its an excellent light! Also take a look at the Peak lights in a similar size. For conventional cells, they have them in N, AAA and AA sizes.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Infinity Ultra isn't all that bright, though. If it's to complement your SF E1e it's fine, but if you want a different light for EDC, you'd be better off with something brighter, like a Fenix L1P or even a Peak Matterhorn 3-LED.

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to mention the Arc AAA..... Is it worth spending the extra cash on? Or am I still better off with the Infinity Ultra?

carrot

Flashaholic
skiersl9 said:
I forgot to mention the Arc AAA..... Is it worth spending the extra cash on? Or am I still better off with the Infinity Ultra?
Arc-AAA is brighter and has HA3, which makes it very resistant to scratches. There's currently a pretty long wait to get an Arc-AAA, but you can get one from Lighthound right away for $8 more.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Matterhorn 3LED 1AAA with snow white LEDs. Super output for a single aaa battery. I've been EDCing mine (as a backup to my EDC Fenix L1P) for several months on my keychain and everytime I use it, it amazes me how bright and white it is.

Yooper

Enlightened
It's an excellent light. So is the ARC AAA-P. A Fenix L0P or L1P is smaller or nearly as small, respectively, and much brighter and just plain really nice.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the Fenix LOP.... maybe AMilite?? It is as small, but larger diameter.

-David

DrizzitT

Newly Enlightened
Heh, I personally would go with the Arc AAA-P, but Ima newbie flashaholic.

I currently own both the Fenix L0P and the Arc AAA-P and while the "pitch black" shots of the fenix clearly blow the Arc AAA-P away in tint, real life wise, I really don't find much of a difference. You can see the blue on the Arc, but truthfully, unless you shine it against a white wall, the beam color (brownish) is rather unnoticable. I heard Peter recently changed the 5mm Leds to a whiter one (which is the one I got), and really, the blue isn't even close to the beamshots on the forums, its a more, whiteish blue rather than angry blue. I thought I would regret my Arc AAA-P decision after I got the L0P, but I still find the Arc AAA-P residing on my keychain (L0P now gifted to a friend).

Same thing goes with overall output. The difference you see in them is marginal (again, if your not walking in pitch dark, and if you are in pitch dark, you need another flashlight). Frankly, what really sold me was the runtime on the Arc AAA. Place them side by side for a while, and you'll notice the Fenix gets dim, after about 45 min- 1 hr, the Arc already outshines it (and the fenix dies shortly after). I don't have that many rechargable batteries hanging around either...

I can't say anything about the Gerber or the L1P becuase currently I only have 3 flashlights, Dorcy 1W CR123, Arc AAA-P, and L0P. I would probably go with either the Peak equivilent of the Arc AAA or the Arc itself. If your going to go for the 3 LED Peak tho, I'd just go with the L0P. Pricewise, the L0P and the Arc are about the same shipped. Its just runtime vs tint/brightness. While tint is truly superior to the Arc, brightness is not as noticable as you might hope. It is significantly brighter, but there isnt the "WOW, sacrificing 4/5ths of the runtime was SO WORTH IT" feeling if you compare the two. However, I think MillerMods is working on a 3-stage for the L0P? It'd be around 80 dollars but worth looking into.

Last edited:

wsbowdens

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the Arc. Great runtime, plenty of output.The LOP may be initally brighter, but that is shortlived. After about 15 minutes of use, the Fenix is the same as the Arc. I have both lights and I carry the Arc as and EDC, it just dissapears into my pocket, the Fenix is slightly larger and it make a difference to me. The Gerber, which is a great light, was just not bright enough for the size.

CLHC

Flashaholic
The Gerber Infinity Ultra is built quite nicely and "looks" solid. At least the one I had. But as already commented on, it sure isn't/is not bright, that's why I gave it away.

You may want to check out the Aleph series, in particular the Aleph 2 line available from The Sandwich Shoppe.

Unless you want to get a drop-in LED sandwich from The Shoppe and purchase a cutdown Mini Maglite that's available in the B/S/T forums like H22A and LEDEAN or TRUEBLUE sells. These make excellent EDCable LED lights. The one I have is the 3[M]iniMag, and is on my person always. Very Bright To Be Sure and Seen to be appreciated.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!