U2 or Gladius?

Polar

Newly Enlightened
Which one would you buy and why? Help me make up my mind please....

carrot

Flashaholic
U2. I'm biased in favor of Surefire. Plus, the flanges on the Gladius look like it'd be uncomfortable for pocket carry and the nib on the Gladius tailcap sounds too fragile. When I'm bored, I'm prone to taking apart my lights constantly, and I'd probably end up breaking the nib.

TorchMan

Enlightened
You mean aside from the CPF mantra of buy both? I guess it depends on your wants and needs.

U2 - broader beam due to LuxV. Simple to control the six brightness levels with the ring. Output can be adjusted while the light is off. Still throw quite well, probably will have a donut hole due to the LuxV. The very lowest setting is not dim enough for some users.

Well made, should be rugged. As far as I know, only comes in black. Earlier ones were able to take rechargeables, newer ones seem to have a plastic sleeve in the battery compartment that doesn't allow this. Sleeve seems removeable. Has the SureFire warranty.

Gladius - more narrow beam due to LuxIII, it's a spot with a wide sidespill that is usable but dim. Switch is more complex than U2, but allows more options, such as the strobe. Output can be adjusted while the light is on, but what output the light turns on at is user choice. Has many levels of brightness that it scrolls through. Able to go quite dim.

Well made, though the CeraKote on the earlier versions has been replaced on the black model by HAIII, due to it wearing faster than expected. Other colors were possibly going to be HAIII in the future. Available in tan, grey, black and olive drab. It's not hard to put in batteries, but it's not your standard just the screw the tailcap assembly on and go procedure. Ergonomics are awesome on this light for a variety of grips, though some don't like the flanges on the tailcap. I love 'em though. Not the best light for rechargeable cells, it was designed for primaries and has a low voltage indicator that flashes the light every fifteen seconds with low voltage and that seems to be a factor when using rechargeables, even fresh off the charger.

I don't think you'd go far wrong with either light. I EDC the U2 as the beam is more suited to the close up work I use it for most times, and the output is adjustable while the light is off. I actually like the Gladius more, but practicality for my use the U2 wins.

Just my two coppers worth(less). :grin2:

UVvis

Enlightened
Having both, I think the Gladius is more versatile.

The main advantages of the gladius are that it is has many more brightness levels than the U2. It can be locked out on or off, and is made to conserve batteries when being used. It is a more tactically oriented light. The U2 is just on/off at 6 levels of simplicity.

The only way to break off the Nib that carrot talked about is to break the aluminum tailcap to get to it. The only downside of the "nib" is that it takes half a second to line up properly. Putting on a normal surefire tailcap and the gladius tailcap are pretty much equal in effort (surefire takes a little more) and technical (Gladius takes a little more) abilities.

The two lights only really compare in that they are both LED based and have multiple settings.

I think of the U2 as a basic swiss army knife, and the Gladius as a letherman.

luigi

Enlightened
Based on recent posts I would say the Gladius, the U2 has been the source of many problems, bad tint, failing tailcap, donut hole and SF customer service is not doing well from what I've read, long waits, out of stock parts etc.
The Gladius has the strobe that is useful or fun depending on how you use it.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I gotta go with the Gladius. Like for like there have been too many bad reports on the U2's variable quality. As others have alluded to, the tint, doughnut holes, tailcap, selector ring and even glass lens have all failed and are the basis for frequent moans on CPF (Do a search). I agree that Surefire do have oustanding Customer service. However, it is variable and from recent reports the spares availability for the U2 is anything up to a month!

The Gladius has had minor problems. The cerakote has worn off too easily and was not as successful as originally envisioned. The tailcap has suffered from users not understanding how to index the pin (nib) into the goove in the battery tube and some folks have damaged their lights by forcing the pin. The tailcap has also had a few reports of failure if dropped directly onto the tail whilst in lockout mode. However, I personally haven't heard this being an issue for more than one user so I feel it is unlikely to be a stumbling block to purchase.

Ken Good of Strategos and Nite-Ops is a frequent visitor to CPF and has always made good on any folks who have had trouble with warranty issues. Blackhawk itself has also been responsive to these problems and I feel that they are probably equal in reliability to Surefire when backing this product.

Having used the U2 and owning a Gladius I can confirm that the beam pattern is quite different for both lights. The Gladius reaches out a bit further than the U2 but doesn't have a particularly large sidespill. The U2 excells at floodlighting an area with it's sidespill but doesn't have anywhere near as good a hotspot as the Gladius. Tint wise it is pot luck with the U2 as to what you get and many folks have moaned about the tint that there original U2 was delivered with. The light levels on the U2 are good but it can't get down as low as the Gladius.

The switch is not as simple on the Gladius as on the U2 but is very intuitve. Half an hour of playing with the Gladius switch should enable you to have mastered all the settings and the only problem I and others have found is that it is sometimes quite difficult to lockout the Gladius without using two hands.

The Gladius has thermal shutdown as standard and this obviates concerns about damaging the LED & electronics if inadvertantly activated or kept at full power for longer than advised. Reports from a UK LEO suggest that this feature prevented damage to his light and running his batteries down unnecessarily when he left the light on in its holster one shift.

As the Gladius does such a good job of regulating battery usage it has a low battery warning feature which I can personally testify works very well.

Neither light is perfect. Neither lights are without issues. However, I would try to break the purchase down to whether you need to predominantly use the light as a GP flood or as a tactical light? I have to go with the Gladius but you must make your own mind up!

Doug

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Surefire U2 ................................................. :thumbsup:

A small well machined all-round lithium powered variable
projector of bright white photons with functional simplicity.
The beam is well balanced with a good spill and great throw,
a magnificent design, and a tough exterior finish with a
warranty that is one of the best in the business. It can also
use rechargeable Li-ion batteries.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
For me personally I would go with the SureFire U2. The main reason for that is the simplicity of the design.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Both of the lights are impressive.

I would say for the normal user the U2 makes the better general purpose light. If you're a shooter or in LE then the Gladius has a few more advantages.

I think that the U2 lives up to Surefires rep of understating output. It's more floody than the Gladius but the total output is very impressive. If you're going to take a chance on the U2 also keep in mind that Surefire's hold their value very well.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a good CPF-er, I have both. I use the Gladius much more. I like the throw compared to the more floody 5W U2 (tho the U2 puts out a lot of light), but especially like the strobe on the Gladius. SF is great, and I have several of them, but as between the U2 and Gladius I would take the latter. Plus, you can talk to Ken Good right here at CPF, and he is top notch.

best regards

Luna

Enlightened
Navck said:
Gladius has a problem with being dropped onto the tailcap or the tail end
U2.

Well you do have to at least drop the Gladius to make its switch fail :)

Either one is great but I've found myself carrying the Gladius more than the U2. It just isn't as sexy hehe

greenLED

Flashaholic
Navck said:
Gladius has a problem with being dropped onto the tailcap or the tail end

...yeah, but that was after dropping it repeatedly from 50ft or so, IIRC. For all practical purposes, its a durable tailcap.

Being the owner of a U2, I must say it's a very versatile light. It puts out a lot of light, and it throws decently because of its larger reflector. Recent problems with the tailcap are easily repaired (without having to wait for SF replacements). Althought some people say it's "too big for EDC" I think the comparison is unfair because they're comparing against the E2e - and how many 2x123 lights are smaller than the E2e? I¡ve carried my U2 in jeans, khakis with no problems.

Having used the Gladius, I have to say I'm in awe at the switch design. Can't beat the single-hand operation of that light. The interface is a breeze to learn, light level changes are smooth, etc. A great design also. It throws great, it's also plenty bright. From a non-tactical perspective, it's hard to carry the Gladius, as it has no clip and the flanges get in the way.

What it comes down to (possibly) is what you'll be using the light for. The Gladius is a fighting light (a truly tactical light), not a light designed for all around use, like the U2.

UVvis

Enlightened
Night-Ops tested many U2's to death along with Gladius prototypes. I think the gladius proved to be a tougher light. I did see the pile of dead U2's, and it was sad.

Navck

Enlightened
I rather have the U2 however due to the power, and the tailcap (If you lock it out or something special, it can die completely. The U2 is twisty capable tho, and theres a topic where a U2 fell REALLY HIGH (+50 feet) and survived.)
I carry a HDS myself. (I asked Henry on the tailcap, it was struck by a hammer, than a special one, it made it look ugly, but it worked.)

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I thought I'd (hopefully) answered the question on the gladius tailcap but I will re-iterate the issue. A very few folks have managed to damage the tailcap from drops but in the instances reported despite the tailcap loosing its plastic cover it remained functional. The design of the tailcap allows such damage whilst still allowing the light to function.

The total failure occurred when a Gladius was dropped onto its tail whilst in lockout mode. Ken good reported that the design team eventually managed to emulate this problem during repetitive testing and that it only occurs in lockout mode. If dropped whilst in any other mode the tailcap continues to function properly.

Despite a substantial number of Gladius's being out in the wild (many in LEO and military use) there doesn't seem to be any other reports coming flooding in about this issue! I personally would rate the tailcap issue as being so negligable as to be unimportant. All lights have specific weaknesses and the Gladius is pretty near as bomb proof a light as you'll find.

For the record there appears to be far more reports of problems with the U2 than the Gladius? However, it must be remembered that both lights are high tech, high end lights. If maximum reliability is of primary concern then neither of these lights would rate in my book as being 100% safe bets. Rather I would see the Gladius as being the least likely to fail or suffer malfunction at a critical time with the U2 close behind.

If maximum reliability is a criteria then a well built incandescent like a Surefire Millenium or perhaps the new Falcata's with the addition of a back up light would be the best way forward?

However, the question was which light was better? I again re-iterate that it all comes down to personal requirements. Do you need a flood or more of a spot light? Is the light to be used in a tactical way or simply as practical light?

I suspect from some of the pointers being hinted at, that a U2 would be more to your liking? If that is the case (and it is a great light after all) then I would suggest that you get one from a store and satisfy yourself as to the beam, tint and functionality of all the components prior to purchase. At least this way you can limit the chances of your purchase being unacceptable in some way?

Doug

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
I bought a U2 because I wanted flood rather than throw. I'm pleased with it and have had no problems. Being able to run on rechargables is a nice bonus. (I don't have a Gladius but my impression is that the improvement in throw is mostly academic.)

cliff

Newly Enlightened
I have a U2 but used a Gladius for a while and would feel very well erquipped with either one. The Gladius ran on Pila 168S rechargeables with the outer wrap removed, and the U2 uses 168As. It is my understanding that newer Gladius lights will use the 168S without removal of the wrap now.

Probably due to the slightly bigger battery, the U2 seemed like it would put out a mid-level amount of light a little longer than the Gladius, but burn time was not a problem with either.

If you install the end cap correctly when changing batteries on the Gladius, it should not give you any trouble. My U2 has functioned fine for quite a while, but initially it had some problems. After two bezels and three tail caps it is now up to spec. and I'm very happy with it.

I think the Gladius will give you an edge if you are using it for combat, and the U2 will be a little more useful for other applications.

Lite

Newly Enlightened
cliff said:
My U2 has functioned fine for quite a while, but initially it had some problems. After two bezels and three tail caps it is now up to spec. and I'm very happy with it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a $270.00 flashlight not have such issues?