Old GE LEDs?

xcxeon

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I registered on this site awhile ago and just rediscovered it, and decided to write a little intro/question.

To begin I'm 20 years old, and I have an associate degree in electronics engineering, as well as an associate in computer science and many IT/networking certifications.

I'm not a total electronics 'noob', in fact I've been doing this kind of thing since I was 5 or 6 years old. :)

However, I recently came across a few little componants that have me stumped.

They're small, 'LED Shaped' devices, though the appear to be smaller then an LED. The sides and bottom are encased in metal, though the top is clear. They appear to be some form of LED, but despite my efforts, I have not been able to get one to light, no matter what voltage, polarity, or phase power I use.

These units are very old, I found them in an old box of parts marked "1987".

On the side of each unit, they have the following printed: "GE LED55B 041".

Like I said, despite my background, I've been unable to figure out exactly *what* these little buggers are. I've confirmed they are diodes, thanks to a simple continuity check with my multimeter, IE; one way no current passes through, and the other way I read about 0.952 ohms?

Anyway, if anyone has any insight as to what these things are or what they do, I'd love to know.

(PS; I recently bought an Inova XO3 flashlight. I love it, but it just isn't quite as bright as I was hoping. Any tips for my next buy?)

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the 0.952 reading. My DMM outputs 1 or 2 mA on the diode check setting (which is also the continuity check). The display then is the voltage drop at this current. So you can tell the difference between germanium and silicon diodes and LEDs.

Greg

xcxeon

Newly Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
They could well be infrared LEDs. See if your digital camera or camcorder will "see" them. Assuming you didn't smoke them in your tests.

Greg

Well, I have several hundred on them and only tested 3 or 4. I never thought of that though, I'll go try now. :)

xcxeon

Newly Enlightened
So I just found out when I poked one against an old 123 and aimed my camcorder at it. I should have thought of this myself. Thanks though. :)