Nuwai

brianvmsu

Newly Enlightened
Hello...

i have been doing some research trying to find a EDC. I am looking for something durable, with good battery life. I have been looking a tthe Nuwai flashlights but i really don't know anything about thtem. I am wondering how durable they are, seeing that almost all of their products get good reviews.

I am leaning toward the tm301x-3, can anyone talk me into or out of buying it.

thanks
Brian

Ps.. i will be using it in the wood on a quad, at work(automechanic) and household work.. prbably some occasional paintball fun too.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello. Welcome to CPF!

I have had good luck with several tm301X-3's. They are a good value for the money and have good performance. I have found the low power on the two stage "clickie switch" usable for night use without wiping out your night vision. The high setting puts out a good amount of light, if and when you need it. Runtime is also fairly good. Good luck with your choice!

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, Brianvmsu.

The Nuwai lights are not up to Surefire quality/durability standards, but they're good values. For example, the little Q-III ($30) is a favorite of many here and matches up well vs. several latest/greatest competitors.

The 301-X3 does get good reviews (I assume you've visited the authoritative FlashlightReviews.com website). However, unless you're enamored with its 2-stage function (which some find an annoyance), I'd suggest you look at the similar 301-X5.

Your specific tasks (inside auto work, inside house... plus paintball and woods adventures) seem to call for TWO different lights. Either Nuwai LED would work okay for inside... and short-range outside. However, for your specific outside tasks, something with more throw might be better.

Also consider: (1) the Inova X5 LED ($35) for inside/work soft floodlight stuff, and (2) Inova T3 or XO3 LEDs ($55) for woods/paintball spotlight tasks. The Inovas are known for their bulletproof toughness and have relatively long runtimes. Since your auto work will subject any light to considerable abuse and foreign substances, the Inovas may be a better investment.

Surefire offers some nifty options, but you may not be ready for the price-shock and I suspect you'd find them mysteriously "disappearing" in the auto shop. The new Fenix L1 and L2 LEDs also fit your task-needs, with the latter being better for outside/woods work due to its longer/flatter runtime. The Fenixs are tough, though they won't match the Inovas.

Also: carefully study the "Output & Throw" charts on the invaluable FLReviews site.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brian,

If you "search" Nuwai or tm301x you will find many past threads on these. You'll be reading for hours. The x-5 is the economy model of a SF L4. One thing for sure, it looks a lot bigger on internet pictures. When you get it you'll be surprised to see how small & lightweight these lights are.

Good luck,

John

Last edited:

Luxman

Enlightened
I have both the QIII and the TM301X-3. IMO they are excellent lights and especially in their price range. Both have very good tint and a nice compromise between throw and spill making for a nice general purpose beam. The QIII is great for its small size and the TM301X-3 offers 2 light levels giving more light or greatly increased runtime..

The only negative on the TM301X-3 is that it is a reverse clickie..meaning from the off state, you cannot lightly press the button for a momentary On. You must first press and click the button to on and then you can lightly press it for a momentary off.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Nuwai 2611X more than the QIII due to lower cost, longer run time, tactical type clickie, and what seems to be better machining. Nuwai QIII clip is pretty useless. 2AA equivalent of the 2611 is the 2512x .

vic303

Enlightened
In our house we have both the QIII and the Big QIII. Had them for several months now and both are still on their original batteries. I really like the two stage switch for the 301-x3, and the slim form factor--much nicer than my 6P in the hand. I wish the switch was a standard clickie, but I can live with it.

Both lights seem pretty durable--with 3 kids 4 & under, all budding flashaholics in their own right, none of the lights have broken yet.

Another light to consider is the CPF special from Wits End. Apparently you can put in a different reflector and end up with the Poor Man's Gladius in throw/brightness/dimming. Just without strobe, which is fine by me...

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
....I have the QIII and just got the 301X-3. These are both very nice lights and are good values. The low power setting on the 301X-3 is plenty bright for most uses and will provide long runtime. The light is also almost exactly the same size as my Surefire E2D and it looks very similar except that the E2D has crenulations on the tailcap that the 301X-3 does not have. I use a rechargeable 3.7V cell in the QIII and it makes just about the same amount of light as the 301X-3 on high. Both of these lights have beautiful beams with lots of light in a medium large size spill area. The 301X-3 will meet all the uses you mention but may not have enough throw depending upon the distance you need for paintballing. Downside to these lights are the plastic polycarbonate lenses and the anodized finish is less than HA3. Has anyone tried rechargeable cells in the 301X-3?
jc

vic303

Enlightened
jclarksnakes said:
.... Downside to these lights are the plastic polycarbonate lenses and the anodized finish is less than HA3. Has anyone tried rechargeable cells in the 301X-3?
jc

I got a glass replacement lens from a fellow cpfer around the time I got my 301-x3. Dropped right in and does pass more light than the plastic one. I bet you could measure the plastic one and order a UCL to fit.

As for rechargeables, not tried it yet.

Walt175

Enlightened
How hard was it to get open?

vic303 said:
I got a glass replacement lens from a fellow cpfer around the time I got my 301-x3. Dropped right in and does pass more light than the plastic one. I bet you could measure the plastic one and order a UCL to fit.

As for rechargeables, not tried it yet.